Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The Journey of a Newbie.

The Journey of a Newbie.

I said in my last post that I will document my journey as an E-cig newbie. I understand this is the best site in the world for information on vaping, and from what i read, I believe it so. But what about us who know nothing at all what you are talking about? Here is my journey into the world of vapour. I think this post is going to take a while to complete.

24/11/13 Sick of smoking Analogues. Tried a work colleagues vapor setup for one drag. Gave me the hit I was looking for. Looked like drug paraphernalia. Asked how to use it and she doesn't know.

30/11/13 Ordered E-Cig starter kit or "cigalikes" from Veppo. Got carried away and ordered 9 extra packs of tobacco flavour cartomisers at 16 mg , one extra of Turkish and one extra of Vanilla at 11mg. It was the Black Friday sale with product 40% off. After some study into this, apparently they have good customer service but expensive. Customer service is what sold me in the reviews of this company.

09/12/13 Received my package. Excited. Bad news They sent me the wrong colour batteries and the vanilla flavour cartomisers were on back order. Batteries ready to roll so screwed in a tobacco flavoured cartomiser and inhaled the joy. Didn't smoke one cigarette that night after work but could feel the cartomiser losing it's touch pretty quickly.

10/12/13 Woke up and took a drag on the cigalike with my morning coffee. Not what I was looking for so lit a Champion rolly. Maybe I needed a new cartomiser. Apparently they last a pack of cigs, but I read on Aussie Vapers a couple of nights ago you need 4 a day of these bad boys. Maybe you do. All I know is when you plug in a new cartomiser and it crackles when you take a drag, it is going to be good. I've been through 3 already. Tonights crackle has lasted the longest. I have smoked 5 rollies today because when the crackle finished, I didn't know better and was hanging. Now I know how to use them. If my cartomiser crackled every time I imagine I would have smoked none. I thought this was going to be cheap. 3-4 a day is going to add up, but it's gotta healthier and more cost effective than 15-20 analogues.

Anyway, I emailed Veppo and told them my tale and they said I will get my outstanding goods and 2 new batteries in the right colour, as they didn't send the ordered product. This was all in 1 morning. Customer service. No, I am not affiliated with them. Just my story.

I am doing my research into the next step of vaping already.

Well done!
    It took me 2 weeks to go from a 40 a day habit to cut down to wake up one morning and no longer go for the stinkies so it can take time.
    Its been a week for me now and I am doing pretty freaking well. I went from an ego-t with ce4s to an itaste with clearos and i am not looking back! My bank balance is hurting a bit as i thought screw it and got an atomiser from the classifieds. but i feel so much better and dare i say, stinky smokers are bleh lol
    yup i am noticing the smell so quickly.
    vaping_gal likes this.

10/12/13 Tried to smoke my 6th Rolly and ran to the toilet and threw up.

AVF Regular
    Similar story here Dan, I'll be interested to follow your journey.

I started with a couple of disposable 0mg ecigs from the local newsagent of all places.... just to see if I could hack this lark. A week later I got an Ego starter pack from a market with some illegal liquid. Then my wife put one of my ego batteries through the wash, and the search was on for more gear. I COULD hack this lark, and it was better than the gaspers. This lead me to this bunch of reprobates here on AVF. The rest as they say, is history.

It's a steep learning curve, but the rewards are there, and it's an enjoyable, affordable (if you resist shiny-itis) hobby to boot.

Everyone here has a story about getting off the stinkies, and understands what it is that has brought you to AVF.

good luck
    Last edited by Altered1; 10-12-13 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo
    margyb likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dan View Post
    10/12/13 Tried to smoke my 6th Rolly and ran to the toilet and threw up.
    This is a good sign good luck mate it's never easy but I've found vaping really does help!

Invested in vaping so far: Stopped counting Break even in: Never! And that's OK
    "We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

AVF Regular
    Hi Dan,
    Did you end up ordering that ego starter kit?
    If so i have a little battery and a top coil clearo with a spare coil that i don't see myself using anymore.
    Yours if you want them, but i don't have a spare charger, which will come with your kit.
    Last edited by sonnen; 11-12-13 at 02:20 AM.
    Noe and vaping_gal like this.

OK, long time no post. Thank you Sonnen for your kind offer.

10/13-17/13 The nausea when I threw up after a cigarette switched to the cig-a-likes the day after and was unable to have more than two drags without feeling like calling to god on the the big white phone. My rollies actually soothed my stomach so stuck with them. Every day I would try the cig-a-like again and the feeling of nausea lessened a bit but was thinking this isn't for me.

18/13-20/13 didn't feel so bad after inhaling it, so started using it in the car and at work when possible but always topped up with real smokes, actually 70% smoking, 30% ciga-a-like.

21/12/13 After sitting on the couch with my GF and just smoking my cig-a-like for the whole night thought it was time to get serious as she is a non smoker (major anti smoker actually, but with my crap looks, pot belly, beer addiction and low income career she must have been dazzled and over looked the smoking).

22/12/13 After reading all the threads and other google searches I could, I had a few beers and to make it easy for myself, followed Noe's list and ordered off of Health cabin. Followed most of the list including the extras.

Learnt in my research that PG and VG are the mediums in which flavour and nicotine are added:
    PG = propylene glycol (used in lots of things)
    VG = vegetable glycerin (used in lots of things)
    PG makes the throat hit like a cigarette and VG makes the vapour.

Wondering why I was ordering 2 bottles of nicotine in 36mg i looked into it and you can buy things called doublers to go with it. It's a flavour of your choice in a ratio of PG to VG ( I don't know know what I want yet but hopefully around the 75 to 80% PG and 25-20%VG because that's what I ordered). So say you have a bottle of 36mg nicotine in whatever PG/VG% medium and you mix it with a same size bottle of double flavour in whatever PG/VG medium with no nicotine, you end up with a 2 bottles of flavoured "juice" nicotine at 18mg cause you just halved the nicotine mix half of a no nicotine mix. Easy. I'm opening a shop.

22/12/13 - 29/12/13 Over worked under payed

30/12/13 BANG. A card from Australia Post under my door. Too late to go get it after work but ready for action. Told the GF it gonna be the new me and I'm going on a diet too (Eating a falafel roll for lunch is going on a diet).

31/12/13 Go get the package. Post is too long already so will continue soon.
    Noe, margyb, RichoVonBlack and 4 others like this.

AVF Regular
    aaaaaw! JUST WHEN IT WAS GETTING GOOD !
    margyb, Gresh11 and Rossco like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    congrats on your journey and welcome mate.

i'm really glad you found noe's list. It's a great start. Ironically i bet you'll be trying Noe's exclusive doublers in noe time...haha...get it? no/noe....sorry i crack myself up sometimes...poor noe cops it chronically. I never did ask him where he got his name from...

anyway you know where to find us when the inevitable questions pop up. One golden rule to follow until you get your feet under you and don't give a flying f@ck....more expensive gear does NOT necessarily provide a better vape.

Get your vape on, stick with it for ages, research intermittently into the next step THOROUGHLY....don't take the plunge until you've found exactly what you want, based on heaps of reviews and youtube video demo's.

And be careful cos this f@cking hobby get's to be a bit ridiculous. I just spent almost $500 bucks on new toys that were absolutely...that's not true they were sort of unnecessary, but some were consumables like flavour concentrates. Soon i'll have like 6 mods and 2 ego batteries with 2 tanks, 2 drippers and 2 clearo's (all of which i plan on rebuilding) so it utterly gets consuming. I really recommend avoiding falling into this trap. Most people ignore this advice, as i did, when they get it. some of the sh!t i'm getting is so PRETTY....

Take care

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I can relate to parts of your story Mr Dan.

I am still on the Cig-A-likes and am expecting my eGo setup from HealthCabin this coming week.

At present I am smoking around 5 rollies per day, and am going through 2 Cig-A-Like cartridges per day. The Cig-a-Like setup I purchased was rubbish, to be honest, and it cost an absolute fortune. As inadequate as these ciggy things are, they did get me started on the journey to better health, so it has served an invaluable purpose. Perhaps if I had ordered the 18mg instead of the 12mg, they may have been more adequate.

I came from smoking 20-25 rollies per day and I must say that my chest has cleared significantly in the two weeks of Cig-A-Liking.

I am really looking forward to recieving my eGo order and ditching the rollies once and for all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast