Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trying to get the balance right

Trying to get the balance right

Hi guys,

Not sure but I think I need a bit of advice on getting my balances right between nic strength, PG/VG ratio and hardware choice?

I started on halo g6 cigalikes 3.7volt batts with 12mg juice (proprietary blend PG/VG) in 2.4-2.8 ohm cartos...it was no where near strong enough for my nic addiction, I was either using nicorette spray in addition on a good day or analogues on a bad day.

So off I go, stock up on a evod bcc starter kit (I really like it BTW) which came in 2.5ohm clearos and 3.7v batts -- so no real power change there? am NO electronic guru -- BUT grabbed a stack of 24mg/ml 50PG/50VG flavours from a couple of different US suppliers, chose the ratio because I didn't know where to start really. Initially had to change my inhale technique a bit, but within a day loving it all to bits, not using the nicorette spray, not using analogues at all.

So now 2.5 weeks later, I can barely vape anything. The first morning vape is so harsh I am coughing and gagging. Any other vapes the rest of the day are still harsh but bearable. I can only have a few puffs anytime I do vape thru the rest of the day. It doesn't seem to be a brand or flavour thing, and I have found myself reaching for the 12mg cartos as well so I can have the flavour and the vape without the harshness, but they don't seem to satisfy the nic urge or .

Also temp seems to be a factor for me. I have a few G6 min tanks (top coils) and I have been reaching for them with the 24mg juice a lot at the moment...seems to produce a warmer vape and for some reason lessons the harshness???

So here are my summations and questions:
    1. I think my body is telling me to drop the nic strength to a 12-18mg strength - can I do this without diluting the flavour of the 24mg juice I have?
    2. If I can dilute the nic strength without reducing the flavour, would I be better doing it with VG since PG is supposed to be all about the throat hit?
    3. Is the different hardware contributing to the harshness?
    4. Can you recommend a clearo (of any type) that will fit my evod batts and produce the warmer hit if I can't dilute nic strength without losing flavour? I am getting lost trying to research on the net...
    5. I have a bunch of new flavours that I love but still find I am looking for a tobacco flavour to satisfy me when I am really hanging for the analogue experience (when stressed mostly) and would love some recommendations...used to smoke Winnie Whites....

Phew....got it all out! LOL

I am committed to getting off the stinkies and making this work, just think I need some tweaking!! And I am LOVING my new flavours at the moment - if you haven't tried Juicy Vapor's 'Tribute' (pear & lychee) or Halo's Belgian Cocoa, I highly recommend them!

Thanks in advance, sorry to be such a newbie pain in the ass...

Congratulations, you are doing really well. Have you changed/cleaned the coils in your evod clearos? I use them and give them a clean every 4 days or so and have found after 3 or 4 cleans I need to replace them with new ones because performance drops.

AVF Regular
    ani, you might have to order the same juices again in 12mg, then mix half/half to get 18mg.

Or alternatively go down the doubler/order unflavoured nic juice route....which will mean asking and answering a lot more questions.

Or maybe order some 18mg from the NZ company that sells juice with nic, can't remember the name?

AVF Regular
    Ani, I don't have enough knowledge to offer advice re nic levels. However, I'm in the same boat wrt coughing on my Mt Baker 65/35 PG/VG 24mg juice - I had 2 days where it was nice and smooth, so I'll be interested to hear any suggestions. The NZ company is soulblu.com - not the cheapest nic, but I've just order 2x100ml bottles and the freight via DHL was $17, ordered it Monday and it landed in Australia Tuesday - hasn't made it to Adelaide from Sydney yet *frown* - but that is the quickest option to tide you over. I also have an Evod setup, and I dry burned a coil today for the first time, and I think it did help - search Youtube for dryburning an Evod BCC and several hits will come up. Anyways, all the best and I'll be reading the answers too, cheers Deb

AVF Regular
    aniangel - coughing and gagging doesnt sound good - okay - have you changed the coils in your evods?

if not that would be useful - when replacing them go for evod 1.8ohm coils as they will work better with your batteries - new coils will make for effortless dragging and better flavour

are you having any symptoms of too much nic? is your heart rate faster recently? that is a sign of too much nic...

if so then you'll need some vg that you can dilute your juices with - that is the cheapest way to go compared to buying more lower nic juice in the same flavour and also offers the most control as your taste buds and nic levels change in the coming months - some juices (especially usa juices) dilute okay without losing too much flavour using just straight vg -

for the ones where you are losing too much flavour you can buy a few diy flavours so you can make a diy 0mg juice to mix with the usa juices without lowering the flavour level too much - i use a flavour called ry6 for this - its a dry tobacco flavour that also takes the edge off the sweetness of whatever its mixed with which i like - another you can buy is menthol - that will highlight the throat hit a bit for you and cool the vape too

back to the "coughing and gagging" tho - can i ask have you got a woolly dry mouth and maybe dry nose and throat etc - if so it may be that you are having too much pg and its drying out your throat way to much so its getting irritated - that's what happened to me - so i generally avoid pg - drink lots of water and teas and use more vg these days
    Last edited by avtek; 19-12-13 at 01:07 AM.
    Mathy likes this.

Thanks everyone!

I have been cleaning and dry burning my coils about every 3 days, which is about 2 tanks of juice for me at the moment. I am trying to mix up my flavours a bit so I don't lose the taste buds. In one clearo I swap between two different mild tobacco flavours the other clearo I keep a gourmet flavour like the mojito or pear & lychee in and do the same routine. Both clearos have had brand new attys in them as well to see if that was a problem. I was going to first try the 1.8ohm clearos and maybe buy some 0 nic in the same flavours and cut it all down? need to look at the prices. I may grab some VG first and see how that works.

I am getting headaches and increased HR occasionally on the 24mg and I swear sometimes I can feel vessels constrict when I have some!! it's a bit concerning and also what makes me sure it is a nic strength thing, had my BP checked yesterday and that is all fine....but I don't usually get the dry throat thing, mainly because I normally drink a lot of water anyway.

I will have a look for VG when I order some new clearos and coils later today...and maybe some of that RY6 or another type of 0mg flavour that would help....

Thanks again for all your help, you guys rock!

I have one juice that is 24mg and the rest is 18mg. I tend to swap juices all day but I have noticed when I vape the 24mg excessively I can feel my heart pounding. You are probably right that 24 is too high and 12 is too low. Let us know how you get on.

sorry guys, another opinion needed...

was looking as some tobacco flavoring concentrate (Vapeking B&G) to get with some VG to try and fix the problem...am I on the right track? any other suggestions?

Others will have differing opinions and I don't particularly like tobacco flavours but I must say I'm very impressed with Vape King's Royal Blend. If they ever ban the yummy flavours, that's the one I would go with.

AVF Regular
    Hi Ani, from what I've read on this forum, if you have headaches and an increased HR, then too much nic seems to be the culprit. What sort of flavours do you like? I recently bought some Vapeking juices, I'll give you a run down:

1. Double Apple Shisha - vapes and tastes like biting into a beautiful, fresh apple, I love it. It's supposed to have a hint of tobacco, but I can't taste it. Mine is 55/45 PG/VG - it doesn't cause coughs for me, but the nic is @ 12mg. I vaped this straight away.
    2. Royal Blend, this needs to steep, I was disappointed with it on the first try, but I've just had a sniff of it and it seems to be developing, it has a good rep - 65/45 PG/VG @ 12mg
    3. Emerald Shot - a mouthful of aniseed and licorice, smells strong but vapes very smoothly also 65/45 PG/VG @ 12mg
    4. Gummi Bears, bought it for fun, it's not really a lot of fun, wouldn't recommend it.

I also have @ 24mg nic, 65/45 PG/VG:

1. Mt Baker Vapor 555 - a tobacco flavour which is quite caramel like.
    2. Mt Baker 555 Menthol, like the above, but with a menthol hit.
    3. Teaberry - a very odd flavour, I can't recommend it, hopefully time will improve it - bought it on the basis of a review, might be an acquired taste

Depending upon how I'm feeling, I'll vape 555 and menthol 555 separately, or add a bit of the menthol to the 555, to create just a hint of menthol.

Good luck, have a read of the various juice reviews for more ideas, cheers Deb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast