Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: First ever build on Russian 91%

AVF Regular

First ever build on Russian 91%

Hi everyone,

Disclaimer: I have never try my hands on RBA, this is it, its my first time

Received my Russian today, so excited. Been watching quite a bit of video on building coil while waiting for the arrival.

The built I choose to follow is a video showing how to build a microcoil using m3 screw. I have been paying enough attention and its not hard to have it mount and fire away on my Russian. I am using 30g Kanthal wire, but I think I got too carried away and wrap a total of 9/10 wrap! The ohm was quite high at around 2.8, so I thought since the coil is built and glow evenly, I give it a go.

Vaping on it resulting a very nice flavor, nothing that I have experience before prior to this, non of the clearo I tried have that sort clarity in flavor, its almost like what you smell is what you taste! However, I think due to such high ohm (running on Sony 30a battery on a mech mod) I wasn't able to get good cloud... TH and flavor is more important to me, but because of the weak vapor reproduction, I am also not getting a good throat hit.

Please let me know if my assumption is correct? Maybe if anyone can suggest what wrap I should try using the 30g Kanthal?

Thanks everyone!

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Sounds like you are on the right track, but I would aim for about 1.2 - 1.4 ohm on a mech mod by using 28g Kanthal. Some may suggest lower resistance however thats where I like it.
    ckane, Mark B and yoshio like this.

AVF Regular

First ever build on Russian 91%

Hey, congrats on getting a working coil.
    I would definatly bring the ohm's down a lot. I find around 1.1ohm to be about right. Even up to 1.4. This can be achieved with 30g and is best to use around 1.8ish ID (inner diameter) coil. Somewhere around 7 wraps will give you this. A little trial and error will get it right.
    You'll notice it will light up ALOT quicker than it is now once you get the ohms down.
    yoshio likes this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Well done on your first coil yoshio..It is a great feeling when it works eh ? I agree with the above posts..aim for between 1.1 to 1.4 ohms is where I try to be on a mech mod..What are you using for wick ? I take it cotton wool ?
    yoshio likes this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

AVF Regular
    just got my Russian today and after having a disaster of a first build I saved the coil rewicked it and it's awesome I can see now why ppl like this design and system so much it's just awesome I'm using 1.2 ohm coil wrapped on a 2mm drill but with cotton wick and it's hitting me like a train lol
    Olfella and yoshio like this.

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

AVF Regular
    What cmb said, I just recoiled mine and it's 1.2. My last coil was 1.0 which was a bit low I think for the kayfun.
    yoshio likes this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Got my first Russian 91% today too. Had a bit of a rough time first up despite building many microcoils for Protanks etc. My issue was trying to get the center pin to connect. Took an embarrassing amount of time to realize the adjustable screw was too tight in the post itself. Ah well!

10 wraps@30ga around a 2mm drill bit came out at 1.4ohm for me. Hits hard but really smooth. Has a hell of a throat hit and plentiful flavor. Will definitely be ideal for at work/pub/gigs etc etc.
    yoshio likes this.

AVF Regular
    Just a note, when doing a microcoil and cotton build, you will need to replace the cotton every 2 or so days. Quite easy to do, but will take a few mins the first time.
    Enpty the juice, pull apart the Russian, remove wick, leave base on mod and fire a few time to burn off gunk from the coil, re-wick, re-assemble, refill

Enjoy!
    Mark B and yoshio like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Duu all of that went right over my head

As everyone said above.

I went through a similar process, started mine at 2.8, brought it down to 2.2, then 1.8 and now finding 1.3 - 1.4 to really be a sweet spot
    yoshio likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast