Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Coil Resistance help! How do i get high ohms?

AVF Regular

Coil Resistance help! How do i get high ohms?

longer wire = more resistance yeh? more resistance = Higher ohm? Im still getting the hang of all this but im extremely frustrated, been making coils on a genesis style tank and my atomizer for the last 4 hours... and they keep coming up at under 1 ohm, mayby 1.2 if im lucky, I got given my kanthal wire but im assuming its 30-28...

So i pull out 80mm of wire, no coils or anything just want to gauge the resistance, its 2.4. I have the igo-L and there is no ******* way i can fit 80mm coil no matter how tight i wrap it. Same goes for the i-atty.

I know i must be doing something wrong here because the tiny coils in my protank is 2.4. My only theory is that i need a much thinner gauge of wire, and an atomizer made for single coils to allow for extra space?

If im wrong please let me know! If im right what is a bitching atomizer to get? And what gauge wire should i buy?

Cheers everyone you are awesome!

p.s - I lied, my other theory is just my coil making skills leave much to be desired (Which is true) But no wires are touching post's/each other when they are not meant to.

Help!
    Last edited by Fawks; 05-01-14 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Spell checks etc

AVF Regular
    some reading for you fawks - that was my first coil

this is my first coil - advice please

also it sounds like you should search for igo l coil on youtube and watch a few more vids

Super Moderator
    Longer wire = more resistance.
    Thinner wire = more resistance.
    Larger diameter coil = more resistance ( for the same number of turns, because the wire is longer).

And the coil in a ProTank is probably 34AWG or even 36AWG nichrome
    Last edited by gtadmin; 05-01-14 at 02:16 AM.
    Samtron, spud and avtek like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    My ex-wife = HUGE resistance ......
    margyb, luntingsir, urecia and 5 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Yep, thinner wire.

There is also a limit on how many watts needed to get vapour.
    Too many turns an you get crap vapour production.

What atomiser?

I keep repeating that I use mostly 36g which is too small for most. Also use 34g on kayfun.
    Anything more than 3 turns on 2.5mm bit with 36g(K)anthal, 0.12mm(N)ichrome gives almost no vapour(3.4ohms). Had the same dimensions with 34gN except after 4 turns things were crap (2.5ohms). Also experienced the with 32gN 28g,N 0.3mmK 0.22mmK and probably others but I don't remember how many turns or diameter. I've always read here people sticking to 3 - 8 turns.
    Try this.
    PV Web Apps
    Pointed out by Noe & GT many times

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    What device are you using it with? 1.2 will be fine on a mechanical mod

AVF Regular
    Thanks heaps for all the advice guys. Turns out it was most likely 28 gauge i was using when getting low ohms, i found some thinner wire im guessing is 32 and i got my igo-w @ 2.0 and my I-Atty @ 1.6.

Cheers Avtek there was some really good advice in that thread, My spacing was off and the top wire was too close and making things worse.

GTA - Yeh i was making a hilarious rookie mistake (But thats o.k because im still rookie status :P) I assumed for some reason that doesn't make sense to me now that bigger wire = less resistance...

Sushi - is there an aussie vendor i can order 36 off? Very handy site i have bookmarked it too.

lheamfrg - SVD, Seems to go down as low as .8 before it gets upset and wont talk to me. I dont have a mech.. Yet.. *Waits at mailbox for the next 4 days - But even then i would only want to use a battery with a 30amp draw load on it anyways which i dont have yet. Ive looked at the chart to see what ohm limit different battery's support and from the looks of it i assume im just best off waiting till ive got something a little more fool proof that can handle a decent amount incase i miss read a decimal point or something :P

Zmcqt65l.jpg My first coil (Im happy with) I can see at least 8 coils i went through tonight laying in the scrap heap.
    Last edited by Fawks; 05-01-14 at 06:02 AM.
    margyb and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    28g is a prick to make on a genny. 4/5 wraps will get you 1 ohm and being such a thick wire, its hard to wrap a nice even coil and you run out of room to turn pretty quickly as well. Then again, its perfect if you are making mech mods.

AVF Regular
    I run Nichrome wire I got from Jaycar.... about 8 or 9 wraps on my RSST. it comes out at 1.4ohms. The vamo is happy with that.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    I run Nichrome wire I got from Jaycar.... about 8 or 9 wraps on my RSST. it comes out at 1.4ohms. The vamo is happy with that. I wrap it around a 1.5mm or 2mm drill bit

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast