Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Just started Vaping - My thoughts

AVF Regular

Just started Vaping - My thoughts

Hi All,

I am writing this so potentially those who are looking at a transition can draw upon it to make an educated choice in their direction.

History: 20+ year smoker
    Motivation: Health (I can afford to smoke, but I am suffering from early stages of a lung disease)

Recently I gave up cold turkey for 3 months, however this led to an almost complete break down - what can I say, I'm an addict and I know it.

I had spent the last few months researching E-cig/vapes and did not rush out to make any purchases. As you know, locally we can no buy Nic Ejuice so I reviewed a lot of sites including this one and ordered a few different flavors (I will not name the supplier). From my research I knew I would need a 50/50 24mg mix. I was able to source a local vape... not the best quality, but I have (had?) no idea if this method of transition would work.

Well, today Mr Posty dropped off a lovely parcel for me. 4 hours ago I tried vaping for the first time, here are my thoughts:

How much do I inhale? - First puff was too small - second puff was too big (made me cough) - Third was just right.
    When do I start to feel the nicotene? I knew from research that cigarettes have a heap of other chemicals in them to assist in the nicotene uptake- I went in thinking this and was surprised to feel the nic kick in around the 4th or 5th puff.
    When do I stop puffing on this thing? Still trying to answer this ... With a traditional smoke you stop when you get to the filter, this thing is always there and available. Right now I am just coming off a nicotene high which I haven't felt in a long long time. I clearly had way too much .. head spin, a bit sick feeling ..and then that real warm codene like buzz.

At this moment I've have maybe .3 Mg of the juice over the last 4 hours.
    My lungs feel better already (trust me as some one who can't breath after a normal smoke)

My feelings for the future: I have tried gums, patches, hypnotherapy, cold turkey - all that got me was hiccups and guilt. I am really enthused by how well the vape has worked. Perhaps in a few days i'll feel different, but I certainly do not crave a smoke - I have had the mental triggers saying "smoke time" but this is easy to ignore.

For the record, all my juice (100mls in 4 bottles) and my vape cost me $60 ... or three packs of smokes.

Please ignore any typos - am a little jittery
    margyb, Fatman, davee and 14 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Well done courage and welcome.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Off to a flying start by the sound of things. Good luck with it.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    Well done mate. Personally I had the same experience not knowing when to stop. But, my body has learned that fairly quickly. You will feel "oh! I have enough puffs" and you will stop. If you like puffing a lot perhaps lower the nic level will help. I vape 6mg and I can vape for around 30mins. My bio counter will tell me to stop as my body is getting too much nic. If this feeling isn't there yet do not worry. You shall feel that pretty soon.

Add: Oh by the way, you may have "smoke craving" coming up even you have vaped for couple of weeks. It is a good chance to "educate" your brain. Whenever that craving comes you vape. Vape more if you don't feel satisfying. That craving should be gone after few months. After that, the vaping will just become a habit instead of craving and your will power can complete take control "when" you want to vape, and "where" you want to vape. That "urgency" for nic will be just much easier to control.
    Last edited by porkchop; 06-01-14 at 06:59 PM.
    spud, chaotic thoughts and Courage like this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

AVF Regular
    Hi and welcome courage
    It is a bit of a learning curve to start with but after a bit of research it is all worth it
    Please keep us updated with your progress
    What sort of e-cig/personal vaporiser did you get ?
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    good on you! and welcome
    margyb likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Everyones vaping journey is pretty unique, similar shared experiences though, but to each his own! Congrats on joining the light side, you should start to see some improvement lung wise in the next couple weeks, the first thing I noticed was that I stopped coughing up chunks of brown goo in the morning, felt pretty boss

How much do I inhale? - as much vapor as your lungs can handle without sploding, you'll figure out the perfect ratios for pg/vg and nic along the way though, and most smokers that try my vape wind up coughing there lungs up, no nasty chems to numb your throat so it seems a lot harsher than a cig.
    When do I start to feel the nicotene? For me it takes a minute or so to kick in, nothing beats the first vape of the day when I wake up.
    When do I stop puffing on this thing? If you're anything like me, 24/7. Your body is pretty good at telling you when you've had too much nicotine hehe, you'll start to get headspins and feel all giddy and such, again, you'll work out your perfect nic level on the way, it's all about the journey!

Just wait, you'll get into the rebuildables soon and I can guarantee you'll contract the dreaded shinyitis, the destroyer of bank accounts.
    margyb, spud, maggie and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Wow.. what a wonderful community you guys have here!

For the moment I do not want to mention any brands of juice or hardware. Simply because it may come across to those researching that 1) I have any idea what I am talking about 2) My choice in brands will relate to any success or failure I have. All the info is on this board and heaps of others.

I have just noticed that I do not have a holder/pouch/container for my vape. I'll have to construct one tonight, I am thinking a glasses case will do for the moment. Am slightly worried about the "button" being depressed without my knowledge so maybe a foam inner case is in order as well.
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Courage View Post
    Wow.. what a wonderful community you guys have here!

For the moment I do not want to mention any brands of juice or hardware. Simply because it may come across to those researching that 1) I have any idea what I am talking about 2) My choice in brands will relate to any success or failure I have. All the info is on this board and heaps of others.

I have just noticed that I do not have a holder/pouch/container for my vape. I'll have to construct one tonight, I am thinking a glasses case will do for the moment. Am slightly worried about the "button" being depressed without my knowledge so maybe a foam inner case is in order as well.
    If you're using an ego battery, five quick clicks turn it off as well as on. Same for the Vamo, (not sure about other brands). I wish you all the best on your journey, both with vaping , and back to a healthier you
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Hey courage, depending on what battery you got, many like the ego range will switch off by depressing the fire button 5 time quickly. Same again to turn on. If you got a VV/VW device, many of these are the same too

edit - Snap spud
    Gresh11 and spud like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast