Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Volts and Amps

Volts and Amps

I'm currently looking at upgrading (apparently it happens a wee bit from my readings) to a VV/VW device. I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people, so it goes like this:

Comparing a maximum 5 volt device with a maximum 6 volt device (or any voltage in relation to this question) in which you can set the wattage, e.g. 8 watts for both voltages, what is the difference in the vape and why?

Did I really title this thread Volts and Amps?
    Last edited by Pir8; 10-01-14 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Stupidity, told you.

The only way it would be a different vape set at the same volts is if they were running different PC boards. Most cheep mods run the same one. Provari has more pulses per second and I'd imagine DNA 20 is on par or higher then the provari.

AVF Regular
    Ohms law.... twisted by PWM

I'll deliberately not elaborate
    Last edited by Altered1; 10-01-14 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typing in the dark

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular
    Do we know the resistance we are dealing with here?

Apart from what PLine said re the quality of the power provided, the other thing to look for if you are comparing different mods is the range of resistance they will handle (Ω): most will handle 1 ish − 3 ish Ω, some will go all the way down to 0.5Ω - but other than that 8 watts is 8 watts.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    I have not read enough about the current limit on vv devices and wanted to know if the current/wattage limit is the same as vw current limit;

1ohm coil at 6v =36w but how much current is pulled from the battery. At 3.2 volts it's 11.3 amps. No idea if anything could handle that power. At 6.4v with stacked batteries (3.2v x2) it's 6amps.

20w seems to be the limit atm for vw? At 3.2v that's 6.3amps. Circuit probably can handle the same amount of power so even vv is limited to 20w or is it the current (6A)? Don't how it works so stacking batteries might allow higher wattage on vv?

]6⁹.12[

Quote Originally Posted by Pueronline View Post
    The only way it would be a different vape set at the same volts is if they were running different PC boards. Most cheep mods run the same one. Provari has more pulses per second and I'd imagine DNA 20 is on par or higher then the provari.
    Not running at the same volts, but same amps. I was looking at purchasing a Joyetech eVic VV/VW and the maximum voltage setting is 5 volts. There are other devices I have seen, you can wind up to 6 volts. These babies seem a bit more expensive and i was thinking is voltage that important compared to amps?

I looked at this chart:

http://http://www.vaporsworld.com/wp...g-chart-lg.jpg

At 5 volts with 3 ohms resistance you could set it to 8.33 watts and at 6 volts with 4.5 ohms resistance you could set it to 8.00 watts and both be at the top of the green zone.

So yeah, like Courage said it has to do with resistance and I'm starting to think I worded this question wrong the more I think about it. Maybe I'll rephrase it:

Is vaping 5 volts with 3 ohms resistance at 8.33 watts the same as vaping at 6 volts with 4.5 ohms resistance at 8 watts?

I'm going to go take a Panadol now and a vape on my newbie ego.
    maggie likes this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    yes

8watts is 8watts
    watts = volts x amps

]6⁹.12[

Quote Originally Posted by sushiaddiction View Post
    yes

8watts is 8watts
    watts = volts x amps
    Cheers sushi. Thanks for the info. I sure I'll use that formula more than once in the future.

Yea as I said 8 watts is 8 watts.

The only difference in vape experience is how your regulated device produces the 8 watts. They switch between an upper and lower voltage so that your median voltage ( which is set by resistance of atomiser to produce a certain watts ) so you experience the level you set. The faster this does this the better ie provari over itaste etc.

Amp draw is completely different. The lower your resistance the higher the amp or current will be. Think of water going into a pipe. Thicker pipe = less resistance = higher current or more electrons passing though the coil. VW devices are limited to a certain Amp limit. This means that have a limit to how low your resistance can be so you don't have too much current to fry the circuit board.

DNA 20 is one of the only boards ATM which can handle 20w but it does this with a higher resistance coil to limit the current (amps). It pumps more volts in to reach its target instead of having a high electron flow.

Mechanical mods can have very low resistance coils as they have no circuits. Your amp limit is set by the battery you use, only difference is if you draw more current then the battery can handle it blows up in your face.

I hope that makes some sense lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast