Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: New member saying hello.

AVF Regular

New member saying hello.

Whilst this is my first post it is not my first visit to your community.

So first, an introduction:

Hello, I'm Dave and I'm a recovering smoker. I had my last cigarette on 26 August 2013, the day I had my first proper vape. That was 5 months ago.

So, a little of my Vaping story. It'll not be anything particularly special or unusual for many this forum, but just the same, it is my story.

I consumed over a packet of smokes a day. Every day. For about 35 years. Over that time I failed a number of times to quit using several different "NRT" products. Like many, I had no illusions about the health affects or smoking - and, oh, the cost - but tobacco had its hold. I had resigned myself to being a smoker for life.

The last government budget announcement of the tax/price increases for smokers hit hard. It was the final straw, so to speak. Having seen "cigalike" kits at the local smoke shop previously, I thought I'd find out more. So I asked the shop hand. You already know that I was offered some pretty tall tales about battery and cartridge life. Not knowing any better, I paid up and took a kit home. I was very disapponted with the result - which is something none of you would be surprised by. Nic cravings (expected) and very short battery and cartridge life and no satisfaction. They soon hit the bin.

Following that failure, I hit Google. I found several monster threads about E-Cigs on Whirlpool. I spent days reading them, following offered links, looking at various Vaping suppliers web sites. It was staggering. I had no idea. In all that maze of different Vaping related web sites, I stumbled into this forum and I subsequently spent a lot of time reading many of the threads. There was a lot to learn and obviously much was beyond me at that stage. But at least I got a handle on some important basics - why the cigalikes didn't work, that I'd need some "real" equipment and that I'd need to source nicotine liquid to stand a chance.

And, perhaps more important, I found many who had already been down the same path who were very willing to tell of their experiences and provide advice to those who were, like me, just starting out. So, whilst I didn't post any questions, I was able to read of people's experiences, what they had done, where they bought their e-liquids, flavours, good and bad nic suppliers, what sort of equipment was recommended ... Basically, huge amounts of knowledge which was really useful to someone just starting out. And I saw a great community spirit too. People were really helpful and giving of their time. And, on occasion it went further than just giving of time, with liquid and equipment being offered freely, simply to help someone out.

So after a long while reading about it, I finally bit the bullet. I poked my credit card into the web browser and ordered Nic from USA (RTS actually), a couple of premixed tobacco flavours from Mt Barker, some sample packs from Juice Whore and an Ultimate Starter kit from Vapebar.

When the Premixed E-liquid from Mt Barker arrived (the day after my Vapebar starter kit landed, on 26 Aug) I filled up the Stardust Clearomiser and started vaping. I've had no cigarettes since I first filled that clearomiser. Not one. And my Wife seems even happier than I am with this result.

But it hasn't always been easy, though.

Within a couple of days, I realised that vaping with what I had wasn't like smoking - every drag was different. The Stardusts I got in the kit were not delivering a consistant "hit". Sometimes it seemed you got nearly nothing and other times a drag near blew your head off - especially that first toke of the morning. And the leaking.

I reasoned that the Top Coil with long wicks might have been the source of the "inconsistant hits" - with the juice having a hard time "climbing the string", especially when "chain vaping". Within a fortnight, I was again back poking the credit card into the computer. I ordered a few different types and styles of clearomisers, particularly bottom coil versions, buying 2 or 3 of each. I tried each style in turn for a day or so. And I settled on the Kanger Evod. Now, I know each one of you has an opinion about the best items to vape with. I am not saying other things won't work. Nor am I saying there isn't something better out there. All I'm saying is I get consistant hits with the Evod, time after time. It didn't leak, nor did it gurgle. It worked for me. So much so that after my first two days with an Evod I finally, for the first time ever, thought "I can do this" - and really believed it. So I bought more EVODs and continue to use them.

But I soon noticed that vaping didn't seem quite a good as when I first filled the Evods. I remembered comments about replacement coils and dryburning. More reading, searching and following links from this forum and I follow the various posted guides and Youtube videos, which put things right. Following other posted advice, I was mindful of the need to drink more and was not surprised when I suffered the drymouth symptoms. I followed advice and played with my PG/VG ratios and found I much preferred a 50/50 mix rather than the 80/20 ratio supplied in my first order. I remembered advice offered that my tastes in juice may change and, sure enough, they did. That first lot of juice which I originally thought OK now makes me gag. I am glad others have posted about their periodic lack of or messed up taste issues. So I knew, when it happened to me, that it isn't unusual and what I could do to work through it.

Anyway, 20 weeks, 5 months off the smokes. I now have a collection of EGO-c and Spinner batteries, several relevant chargers, a handful of Evods and spare coils and am steadily working my way through a bunch of Juice Whore samplers. There is nic taking over freezer space and more on order. I've now joined those of you who haunt the postal delivery man. I've seen the health improvements many of you report. The Wife has noticed those and remarked on them too. AND, for the icing on the cake, I'm near a grand in front on the cost of smokes for the same time.

So to all you who have posted here - thank you. Thank you for your equipment recommendations. Thank you for your advice about suppliers. Thank you for suggestions about mixing and recommended nic strengths. Thank you for pointers to mixing calculators. Thank you for telling us how you maintain, fix or repair stuff. Thank you for your "newbie" guides. Please know that I (and I'm sure there are others) have gained much from your postings.

Thank you.
    Dave
    Noe, margyb, gtadmin and 23 others like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Welcome to AVF, again
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    As a fellow newbie to AVF (and vaping), welcome!

You certainly have a great story to tell, and, like me, AVF was somewhat of a saving grace in my vaping journey.

AVF Regular
    Welcome dude, wonderfully written introduction

Epic first post Dave.
    My preferred clearos are the Aspires as they provide the best vapour, but the Evods are extremely reliable, low maintenance coils which I still have use for. Great to see you making your way so well.

AVF Regular
    Welcome. AVF is a fantastic forum.
    Friendly people great advice and a real community feel.

Raz

Welcome aboard Dave, I've only been a vaper for a couple of months myself ( oct 17th) and am now addicted to this forum, enjoy !

margyb, gtadmin, pcan68 and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Welcome Dave , a great first post
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Good stuff Dave, welcome. I think your story is a familiar one to a lot of us.
    Gresh11 likes this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

What a great first post,
    Welcome to the forum Dave
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast