Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What watts?

AVF Regular

What watts?

First time user of a VV/VW device.
    I understand the voltage range to set for my 1.8ohm coils between 3.0v and 3.7v.
    But I am unsure about what watts to set my device to. It has a range of 3.0W to 15.0W is there standard starting point and then move up in .5 increments.
    Just really want to know where to start so I am not risking damage to my VapeOnly Aspire BDC MAXI Nova coils they are 1.8ohms.
    Please any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Raz

Start low and go up or use P = V x V R, so in your example, 1.8Ω @ 3V is 3 x 3 1.8 = 5W

Be sure your mod is set to RMS.

AVF Regular
    ^^ What he said

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mathsguy View Post
    Start low and go up or use P = V x V R, so in your example, 1.8Ω @ 3V is 3 x 3 1.8 = 5W

Be sure your mod is set to RMS.
    What does RMS mean? I am using a SS Vamo V4.

Raz

Jas
    AVF Regular
    raz the vamo v4 is automatically set to RMS. I like to run my 1.8ohm dual coils at around 4.5V assuming that they are the aspire coils which are dual coil not single coil so You can run them higher.
    The Glock 9mm has a historic legacy of reliability, performance, Power and perfection

Vaping has just become apart of life, It will always be there until the very end.
    Official Vanilla custard extremist and connoisseur.

AVF Regular
    Normally you choose to work with either watts or volts, you don't need to set both. I prefer using wattage mode for the consistency, as I'm constantly swapping devices. Everyone has different wattage preferences, but I tend to stick between 5-6 watts when vaping sweet stuff like dessert flavours, and 7-8 watts with baccy or coffee flavours. Again, everyone has different preferences, but you don't need to set both watts and volts, just one or the other.

Using volts, on the Aspires, 3.8-4v would be a fairly typical range methinks, though you can certainly go higher if you wish.
    Raziel likes this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    raz the vamo v4 is automatically set to RMS. I like to run my 1.8ohm dual coils at around 4.5V assuming that they are the aspire coils which are dual coil not single coil so You can run them higher.
    The battery I ordered is a 18650 and is 3.7v I thought surely I would not be able to set the 4.5v you suggest.
    Say I was setting it up at 3.2v with a coil of 1.8ohms that would be 3.2 x 3.2 /1.8 = 5.6watts.
    I got this chart as a guide to volts to coil resistance http://www.vaporsworld.com/wp-conten...g-chart-lg.jpg
    It says I should stick between 3.0v and 3.7v for a 1.8ohm coil.

Raz.

Jas
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    The battery I ordered is a 18650 and is 3.7v I thought surely I would not be able to set the 4.5v you suggest.
    Say I was setting it up at 3.2v with a coil of 1.8ohms that would be 3.2 x 3.2 /1.8 = 5.6watts.
    I got this chart as a guide to volts to coil resistance http://www.vaporsworld.com/wp-conten...g-chart-lg.jpg

Raz.
    But your coils are the aspire coils right? If so they are dual coil which means if you have a 1.8ohm head and its dual coil (which the aspires are) then it would be the equivalent of about 3.6ohms (Single coil) sometimes it can be a little tricky at first with dual coils because you first need to know that its double that of a standard (single coil) So you should have no problems within the 4.2-4.5V range for the aspire 1.8ohm dual coil heads. 3.0V-3.7V for a 1.8ohm dual coil head would be very low, However depending on your juice and how warm/cool you would like your vape alot of vapers "adjust to taste" start low and work your way up slowly. If its not producing the right Vaper, favour and TH for you then keep turning it up until you are satisfied with that taste, Remember that setting and what juice your using so when you always go to vape that juice you know that thats your "Sweet spot" But generally speaking IMO i would run a 1.8ohm aspire dual coil head at 4.3-4.5V.
    That setting for me produces the most satisfying cape experience for the juice that I'm using.
    Last edited by Jas; 16-01-14 at 02:32 AM.
    The Glock 9mm has a historic legacy of reliability, performance, Power and perfection

Vaping has just become apart of life, It will always be there until the very end.
    Official Vanilla custard extremist and connoisseur.

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post

Raz.
    18xxx batteries are fully charged at 4.2v, and pretty flat when they get down to 3.5v. That's beside the point, as the vv/vw device mod can step up the voltage higher than the battery can put out. All that being said, I prefer around 3.5-3.7V for a 1.8ohm clearo, or about 7-8w, it depends on the clearo and the juice to me. You set voltage OR power, not both.
    Voltage mode is you setting the volts you figured out you like, and the mod is in 'dumb' mode. In Watts/power mode, you set power and leave it up to the device to calculate it by itself as it knows ohms law, benefit is if set right in power mode, no change to settings on your part required if you put in a different resistance coil (in theory), while in voltage mode, you'd have to find the sweet spot again if you put in a coil with different resistance.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
    Normally you choose to work with either watts or volts, you don't need to set both. I prefer using wattage mode for the consistency, as I'm constantly swapping devices. Everyone has different wattage preferences, but I tend to stick between 5-6 watts when vaping sweet stuff like dessert flavours, and 7-8 watts with baccy or coffee flavours. Again, everyone has different preferences, but you don't need to set both watts and volts, just one or the other.

Using volts, on the Aspires, 3.8-4v would be a fairly typical range methinks, though you can certainly go higher if you wish.
    So I treat the 1.8ohm dual coils as 3.6ohm right?
    So how should I set up the Vamo do I use Volts or Watts
    Basically I am just looking for a place to start.
    From there I can go up or down I assume.

Raz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast