Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Coils - question re burnt taste / cause / solution + questions

AVF Regular

Coils - question re burnt taste / cause / solution + questions

Right to.

Using typical 1.8 ohms on minitanks

So .. I have been experiencing what I though was dud coils .. have gone through 3 or 4 in 3 days.

I get a loss in performance and a terrible metallic taste.

Been thinking about it .. and I am starting to think it is not the coil but in fact some blockage stopping the wicking material from drawing the juice in correctly.

My method of resolving is to dry draw (suck without burning) a few times. This forces the wick to take up fluid and when I do a real burn the performance and taste improves instantly.

Is my theory correct?

Is there a way of restoring the wicking materials to draw the ejuice like it was close to new? I would imagine it would be to emerge the coil in a solution.

What a true dry burn? I've read different things about this and I am starting to run low on coils so don't want to break one if I can help it.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    What clearos are you using?
    Sounds like you aren't getting enough airflow or you have too much wick in the clearos.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Hi Noe,

I am using KANGER PROTANK MINI 2 with factory coil.

If it's air flow, do you suspect the air holes may be blocked??

AVF Regular
    open to any and all wacky solutions

AVF Regular
    Give the coils a clean Courage. There will be a youtube vid. A dry burn gets the gunk off the coil, and somewhat restores performance.

I'll see what I can find for you

edit - here you go. You can also boil your coils - or give them a hit with the steam attachment on a coffee machine (what I do) then dry burn.

make sure the air passages are clear

Last edited by Altered1; 17-01-14 at 10:42 PM.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Courage, I use a mini protank almost exclusively and I can assure that coils last longer than 1 day. I get 4 days minimum before having to dry burn and clean.
    If your juice is 70/30 pg/vg then wicking should be no problem with standard coils. 50/50 juice or vg juice does not wick efficiently on a standard coil. You need to remove the flavour wicks (wicks sitting loose on top of coil).
    Take the flavour wick out completely or replace them with a small cotton wick.
    Another fix is to invert the little plastic grommet goodie sitting above the coil. So it looks like a cup and not a hat.
    Give that a try.
    btobw and Mathy like this.

The mini protank 2 is a fantastic clears miser IMO. I prefer it to the dual coil Aspire since it has a much better draw and I can rebuild my own coils

AVF Regular
    Hey Captain. Will try the invert trick .. but tell me more about the cotton wick thing, I am using 5050

That's the issue then Courage. 50/50 juice won't wick properly in my experience, it's just to thick. The draw on a protank is quite loose, so you do not build enough vacuum in the tank to cause proper wicking with thick juice unless you block a air hole.
    I will try and find the YouTube tutorials for you. There are heaps.
    Pull the little chimney thing off from the top of the coil. That little stubby thing that goes up into the tank. It takes a fair bit of pulling by the way. You will see twi loose strands of wick on the top of the coil. Remove them and replace the little post.
    If it gurgles, put a little piece of cotton in its place.
    Option 2 is to take the little plastic plug off the post, turn it upside down and replace it.
    margyb, btobw and Apoc like this.

AVF Regular
    righto - just did a tear down of as coil/wick. cleaned it up - removed the second wick. Removed the burnt smell and gave me on of the best vapes i've had this week!
    margyb and Altered1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast