Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: On again off again vaping.... just some things I learned and have picked up.. rant

AVF Regular

On again off again vaping.... just some things I learned and have picked up.. rant

I have heard it said that smoking is harder than heroin to give up. In my case and in some others cases at times I know it really has been a bumpy ride wondering how in the hell others either give up smoking or pick up a vape stick and never look back. If this sounds like you, then it is to you that I write.. some may disagree and thats ok but know that you are not the only one even if your experience is a different one.

Being an analogue user you will already have heard the rhetoric and know that analogues are bad for you, you had seen the horrible pictures, been affected by the rising costs of smoking and probably even resigned yourself to an early grave due to some horrible smoking related illness.. then you heard about vaping.

Excitedly you either impulse buy or do the research to buy your first or even second set up each time you think yes! I will make the effort! Only to see it fail or go half arsedly.. you think of the money wasted and suck on that analogue.

THINGS THAT I HAVE LEARNED

Things that are off putting to vaping and can be countered

Smell- The first time round I did not notice smells from my vapes very much other than the usual sweetness, the second time and third time around despite having clean juice from vendors with a good reputation, I couldnt help but notice the underlying smell of nicotine in my nic. (No there is nothing wrong with my supply) The smell has a very distinctive odour and its heavy to say the least.. smelling other peoples as well as my own vapes would make my stomach a little unsettled, kind of like standing in a servo for too long. If you are feeling this at all try the following

The first morning of the day you start vaping throw away your oral hygene and dont brush your teeth, have a coffee or tea with the first vape of the day, In this way your pallet and sense of smell is still dull from your analogues and morning milky hot drink wich will put a coating on your tongue.. admittedly this doenst sound awesome but it does help if nic smell is an issue.. brush your teeth after that first hot drink or wait till lunchtime to do it

Alternatively - try the opposite and clean your pallet as best as you can.. if it works do it.

Your gear- If cigalikes and 510s or egos did not do it for you before, it probably will not do it for you again. It is probably best to restart on something that is VW/ VV so that you can have a better play and get a proper feel for what you need. or have been lacking.. Have a think before you start on the wagon again about what it is that you liked about vaping or were lacking last time. Was it flavour? Heat like an analogue? battery life?

Once you really have a sit down and have a think about what it was you were lacking in your gear it makes it easier to research and decide on what type of gear you need .. If you have already been on the vape wagon you will aready have an idea of what it is you need for you, trust in that and work with it and dont be afraid to ask questions on AVF even if they feel silly. The fact of the matter is that ecig tech moves pretty fast and it is understandable that it can be confusing

Whatever you choose as your gear get at least 2 of it and some extra batteries and atties if needed.. it used to tee me off alot running out battery life so now I keep a surplus just in case of both batteries and throw away atties just in case.

Chain vapers and heating mods.. if you are a big chain vaper and you find your mods are heating up and fast.. make sure you have the right batteries for the right job, make sure your batteries or mod are not faulty, ask questions here on AVF and if all is clear make sure you have two or three active mods with fresh batteries in them whilst more batteries charge. In this way when one mod starts to heat you can change over whilst it cools .. But please ensure that your mods and batteries are safe first

How you vaped previously to how it is probably better done. Before you get back on the wagon realise that vaping is not smoking this thread posted by another AVF member explains it nicelyInhalation technique with an e-cigarette

Have a wander through the new vapers forum stickies.. some of the threads are great for refreshing a memory others still are great to reintroduce you to the world of vaping.

There is no shame in falling off the vaping wagon.. like any analogue user, it may take once or twice or ten times to finally get there.. but as long as you know its not impossible it wont be. I am not a big fan of the anti smoking lobby but they do have some terrific advice to help deal with symptoms of withdrawl. Remember if you are choosing to retake up vaping you are not quitting just nicotine and a couple of food flavours you are quitting up to 4000 chemicals in those analogues. So some withdrawl symptoms are to be expected .. that being said keep hydrated and drink lots when back on the vaping wagon. It is a known thing with vaping that many people will feel or get dried out with vaping.. if you are honestly worried about any sympton please see a doctor

Mind set.. before you reenter the world of vaping think positively about it do some quite smoking tips research and think of your self as one step closer to quitting or even that instead of quitting, vaping is a way of replacing a really expensive habit with something that is less harmful and pleasurable.. Dont use ther first sign of stress or drama or withdrawl symptom as a reason to go back if you are breaking away from analogues

If vaping is failing for you again and you are at the end of your rope... there are alternatives, and some may or may not have information here about it like whole tobbacco alkaloids or snus (although be aware these options are often less reccommeded)

These are just some things I picked up on my road Failure is just another step to sucess and you can do it! good luck with your journey
    lozza 82, btobw, spud and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    At the end of the day, if you really want to give up smoking/vaping you will. The physical addiction of smoking isnt strong, its mostly psychological.

AVF Regular
    All I got to say is that I never smell nic in my ejuices, hell MBV Menthol, you can't smell anything, its clear and orderless, or if you want to smell strong flavours try a espresso doubler Steam-e-cigs | Espresso - Steam-e-Juice - Products <--- you'll have to add some good nic to it, like JUICERAY--eLiquid and supplies.
    It has a real strong coffee smell, hell it smells like perk coffee. what nic have you been using? what juices can you smell the nic?
    Anyways like you said sooner or later it will work for you.
    Jeff
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm confused about this 'on the vaping wagon' thing? My experience of discovering vaping was a bit different, I didn't expect or even believe that vaping would make me quit cigarettes, it was just a curiosity. So I never had the feeling of needing to use will power, or needing to quit anything. No wagon to fall off.

Sometimes I think we fight against ourselves unnecessarily.

If I had been trying to make myself stop smoking I think the cigarettes would have been far more attractive, and vaping would have seemed like some kind of deprivation, or tool for self flagellation.

I continued to smoke whenever I felt like one, but my curiosity about vaping turned into an obsessive search for the perfect flavour, the perfect vapour; the holy vape grail.

Along the way smoking just fell by the wayside.
    Last edited by JenJ; 18-01-14 at 03:10 PM.
    CMB, spud and Rossco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    At the end of the day, if you really want to give up smoking/vaping you will. The physical addiction of smoking isnt strong, its mostly psychological.
    I disagree, it varies between different people. Some people have much more physical withdrawal symptoms than others, for some, making the psychological break is the hardest part. In the end we need to do what suits us best, and to be kind to ourselves, as well as not judge others because they see and feel differently from ourselves.

For instance, I had virtually no physical symptoms of withdrawal, (as I use nicotine ejuice), and even when I've given up cold turkey in the past, had very little in the way of physical symptoms. What I missed was the relaxation, and stress relief of smoking, so switching to vaping provided for my most important needs, as well as supplying the nicotine I enjoyed.

However, I do know people who have suffered very bad physical withdrawal symptoms, to the point of being physically ill with flu symptoms, vomiting, constant headaches and muscle problems. For them, the psychological element of smoking was far less of an issue.

Simple solutions and trite sayings, are not the answer to what is a complex physical and behavioural problem. These simplistic and trite answers are what we see from the ANTZ, and the puritans. Dismissing the physical elements of smoking withdrawal, implies that if you are suffering from these, that you are somehow weak, or imagining things, and lack will power, (which for ANTZ and puritans is a character flaw and a sign that you are a lesser human being). Saying that it is mostly psychological is something ANTZ and puritans also use to imply mental weakness, or neurosis, or moral weakness, in those that smoke.

I'm sure that is not what you mean to imply Steve, but unfortunately this is how the type of statement you made is seen in the wider world. We can do better to support people going through the transition, than simply tell them its mostly in their heads, and if they have enough will power they can do it.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I agree with Spud, It took me around 2 -4 months to get off the ciggys, two months and I was off smokes, but then Somehow as soon as I was off smokes I convinced myself that it would be ok to smoke slim cigars on fridays on breaks and on my way home from work, The reason only friday was to celebrate another week without smokes, a pack of 8 slim cigars would last 2 weeks and cost around $16 for a pack. This went on for 2 months, until the we finished the job site where I was working and moved on to a new location, which was great because then I convinced myself that It was a sign that I didn't need to find a new tobacconist. And from there I've been totally free of ciggy's and cigars. Only vaping for me.
    Jeff
    Toddosh and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aussievapes View Post
    I agree with Spud, It took me around 2 -4 months to get off the ciggys, two months and I was off smokes, but then Somehow as soon as I was off smokes I convinced myself that it would be ok to smoke slim cigars on fridays on breaks and on my way home from work, The reason only friday was to celebrate another week without smokes, a pack of 8 slim cigars would last 2 weeks and cost around $16 for a pack. This went on for 2 months, until the we finished the job site where I was working and moved on to a new location, which was great because then I convinced myself that It was a sign that I didn't need to find a new tobacconist. And from there I've been totally free of ciggy's and cigars. Only vaping for me.
    Jeff
    For me it was an instant thing, but for my SO it has taken a long time, even now he still has the odd smoke, but I think "so what" he'll give the smokes away when he's ready, or not, either way I don't think any less of him, and I certainly don't judge him, he hasn't changed, the only thing that has changed is that I no longer smoke tobacco at all. I'm really aware of not becoming one of those people who give something up, and think they deserve a knighthood for it, and then hold everyone who doesn't do the same, in contempt. (or reformed smoker syndrome as it is commonly known).

Its interesting how our minds work and how, even though we may not think so, we are conditioned by the society we live in to a huge extent. I know that when I started vaping, it was because it was much less expensive than smoking, and I just couldn't afford to smoke anymore. When I made the switch and started vaping full time, I lost count of the number of people who asked me when I was going to give up vaping.

It was like it was expected that I was going to give up this pleasure, (even though there are no ill effects to my health at all), it struck me as very strange until I looked at it from the perspective of the brainwashing we have all received about smoking. If someone decided they were going to switch to low alcohol beer or wine, there wouldn't be the expectation that they were going to give up drinking all together.

Likewise is someone decided that they were going to drink decaf coffee, they wouldn't have people asking them when they are going to give up hot beverages.

Its a weird world
    Last edited by spud; 18-01-14 at 04:39 PM.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

If people like to smoke tobacco, it's their choice, and they shouldn't be denied that choice.

My concern is that many people are switching back and forth from smoking to vaping because of factors imposed onto them.

Think about it. If you could drive up to Coles and pick yourself up a 20mL bottle of 18mg/mL BlackBerry ejuice, and when you go out to the RSL tonight, everyone is using some type of ecig, and hardly anyone smoked, you'd be more inclined to stay away from the smokes

margyb, lozza 82, spud and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    No one smoked more than I did. A 50gram packet of Drum each day for well over 50 years.
    Before I was half way through a rollie, I'd think if I had time to roll another before I got busy or my hands might get too wet?
    Sometimes I even lit a new one off the glow of the one already in my hands, just to save time.

Old Mate Shippo pointed me to this site.
    I researched E-cigs for a few weeks before making the decision to buy a 510 starter kit. I still have 510 gear as back ups for my backups.
    I took to E-cigs straight away. Once my parcel arrived and I read the destructions and inhaled, I have never wanted to smoke a ciggie again.

After vaping for more than three years, I still have no sense of smell. Way to many siggies have killed my sense of smell & taste buds.
    I mix my own 18mg juices and have never smelt any nic odour?

Long live Vaping for my health and the near $20K I would have spent.
    margyb, spud and sonnen like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Flea View Post
    No one smoked more than I did. A 50gram packet of Drum each day for well over 50 years.
    Before I was half way through a rollie, I'd think if I had time to roll another before I got busy or my hands might get too wet?
    Sometimes I even lit a new one off the glow of the one already in my hands, just to save time.

Old Mate Shippo pointed me to this site.
    I researched E-cigs for a few weeks before making the decision to buy a 510 starter kit. I still have 510 gear as back ups for my backups.
    I took to E-cigs straight away. Once my parcel arrived and I read the destructions and inhaled, I have never wanted to smoke a ciggie again.

After vaping for more than three years, I still have no sense of smell. Way to many siggies have killed my sense of smell & taste buds.
    I mix my own 18mg juices and have never smelt any nic odour?

Long live Vaping for my health and the near $20K I would have spent.
    Order a doubler bottle of Steam-e-cigs | Espresso - Steam-e-Juice - Products
    add your nic/pg/vg and let it steep for 1-2 weeks, Then try it and see if you can smell it, I bet you can, it has a good coffee smell on exhale.
    If you can't smell it then you sense of smell is gone, Let us know how it goes They also have $5 shipping in oz, plus if you use coupon STEAM2013 you'll get 10% off.
    Jeff
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast