Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    OK... time for a 'general update'. This is basically my cumulative thoughts on Vaping after a short period of trying it. I went the first day only 'trying' 2 analogues for comparison, now 3 1/2 days purely vaping (half a day before that trialling).

Getting prepared.
    To me there is only the bastardisation of the real-estate saying.
    Research, Research, Research.

I was extremely fortunate in having someone who was on the vaping journey to speak to and bounce things off. That being said I still did fairly exhaustive research of types, options, costs etc.

I could easily see that getting into vaping without researching could waste some time and money, and potentially put you off in a worst case scenario.

I think for me there were a few key points:
    1. Commit. Consider it an investment that will quickly pay off if you are a regular smoker. Get enough stuff to keep you going for a while, sufficient spares so that you don't get forced back to smokes and enough options that you can try a few things without getting everything under the sun.
    2. Redundancy. I mentioned it above, but it is worth repeating. Most off-the-rack stuff is disposable. By nature it will fail at some point or need replacing. Don't buy 100 of things, but have enough that if an atomiser has an issue you don't. For me a couple of batteries, 3 atomisers, spare tanks (ego-T), some carto's and enough juice was sufficient.
    3. Simple but flexible. I wouldn't consider going a 'custom' set up first off. Nor would I consider going an overly simple small setup with pre-filled carto's. For me the sweet spot was an ego-T, double-strength nic juice and local flavours with both tanks and cartos as options. I think this gives me license to try a few things out without wasting a lot of money, simple enough that I don't go 'this is all too hard' but flexible and cheap enough to last a while. That being said any of the 'popular' brands would work fine I would imagine provided they are component based and have options.

Money money money.
    I spent ~ $230 all up on my initial setup.
    Realistically now that I have tried some stuff I will probably be putting in a small order in a week (I liked the carto's more than I thought, and probably should have another atty for the tanks as I stuffed up and only ordered 2, might also want to try some other flavours).
    Apart from that I should be set for a couple of months baring emergencies.

I calculate after about 4 days now of vaping I would have bought 3 packs @ $20. Therefore I have already clawed back 27% of my investment.

It won't be long before break-even which is when I will be happy.

I note that because eCig's are relatively cheap on an ongoing basis that shipping is the killer. It's actually not too bad, but proportionally it is high.
    Having placed 3 orders about $55 of the $230 was probably postage. That's a high percentage, not a killer, but high.
    I think strategic ordering, and even better if you can group order with friends, would sweeten the already sweet deal further.

My experience.
    I tried to get a setup which I thought I could 'live with' without experimenting.
    Whilst I'm happy with it I've come to understand why 'playing' is important. I like the feel of the carto's, but prefer the convenience of the tanks. Flavour is more important than I gave it credit for and will always be a personal thing requiring testing.
    Luckily expanding from my setup to allow that is not difficult or expensive, and so the tinkering begins.

There are things I like and dislike about vaping in general, and individual bits and pieces but in the end I am still smoking.
    By that I mean that I haven't been craving analogues, nor do I feel there is anything big enough missing that I would be enticed back to them.
    I don't feel I've quit, rather just altered the style. That's a really good and important thing in my opinion.

There's a lot more to learn, and a bit of fiddling required when compared to buying a pack and flicking a lighter but not enough so to bother me at all. In fact I think I find some enjoyment in being somewhat in control of, and responsible for, my experience.

I'm in two minds about the convenience of the lack of smoke, not having to finish a full cigarette at a time etc. It's GREAT, especially for me who has a daughter and a non-smoking wife. That being said 'going out' for a smoke, and making sure neither have to watch me smoking (out to the garage, go for a walk etc.) is part of the ritual. As such I'm availing of being able to vape in the loungeroom after my wife goes to bed, but for the most part I'm following my routine for 'comfort'.

My political thoughts.
    I'm intrigued by the politics and debates around e-cigs. Oddly it reminds me of that which exists in the cycling community sitting in the middle of motorists and pedestrians.

Quite simply:
    • I don't think e-Cigs are good for you. I will not profess that they are and I feel that is dangerous to do so. How 'bad' they are for you is a matter of interpretation.
    • I really hope proper testing occurs by someone, somewhere to reduce the ambiguity however also know that is unlikely and can't really be considered final anyway until those vaping now are old and wrinkly.
    • Despite the above I do think that vaping is much better for me than smoking. I believe a LOT better for me than smoking.
    • From an external point of view I still treat myself as a smoker. That is to say I won't vape in non-smoking areas. I believe it is much better for me than smoking, and I tend to agree that second-hand is a non-issue. That being said I don't expect others to have researched the way I have, nor do I believe that I have the right to make that decision for them. I saw someone vaping on a bus the other night. I didn't like it even though I had my Ego in my pocket.

Overall:
    I am now a vaper. I can't see myself going back to normal cigarettes.
    I can see myself still trying to quit the habit in general in the medium to long term, that's personal preference.

Probably a bit early for such a long rant, but meh.

Anyhow, just got a message that I have a package waiting. As I know that will be from Del I'm off and running!
    Last edited by Caffeine; 03-10-11 at 01:52 PM.

Raa
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    Flavour is more important than I gave it credit for and will always be a personal thing requiring testing.
    Told you.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
    My political thoughts.
    I'm intrigued by the politics and debates around e-cigs. Oddly it reminds me of that which exists in the cycling community sitting in the middle of motorists and pedestrians.

Quite simply:
    • I don't think e-Cigs are good for you. I will not profess that they are and I feel that is dangerous to do so. How 'bad' they are for you is a matter of interpretation.
    • I really hope proper testing occurs by someone, somewhere to reduce the ambiguity however also know that is unlikely and can't really be considered final anyway until those vaping now are old and wrinkly.
    • Despite the above I do think that vaping is much better for me than smoking. I believe a LOT better for me than smoking.
    • From an external point of view I still treat myself as a smoker. That is to say I won't vape in non-smoking areas. I believe it is much better for me than smoking, and I tend to agree that second-hand is a non-issue. That being said I don't expect others to have researched the way I have, nor do I believe that I have the right to make that decision for them. I saw someone vaping on a bus the other night. I didn't like it even though I had my Ego in my pocket.
    I wonder how much motivation there is to actually look at it. At risk of sounding like a conspiricist, I can't help but think that there are two very powerful lobby groups that have plenty of cash in their war chests to ensure places like, lets say Queensland, do their best to keep it underground.

Woohoo!!!

Think after a short time I have happily settled on a setup that will keep me going for at least the next few months.

Ego-T batteries (have my 1000mah standard one, waiting for my 'take-away' PT one from HealthCabin)
    Kanger Cartomisers (Horizontal coil, although I now have the dual-coil ones to test as well)
    Drip-Tips (on the cartomisers)

For me the tanks were OK but lacking a bit, and a bit prone to leakage.
    The Kanger carto's I love compared to the tanks and the boge's for a whole bunch of reasons... especially refilling.
    The Drip-Tips solve my last problems, which were heat/burning from the metal cartos, as well as an uncomfortable feeling on the lips, and also with 3 different coloured drip-tips I can keep track of which flavour is in which carto simpler.

The big advantage overall is that I have battery's and cartos. From a spares perspective and keeping enough supply it doesn't come any simpler than that.
    Got 4 boxes from Hack overnight (group order, absolutely hilarious to open a package with 13 packs of 5 cartomisers). Once my HealthCabin order finally arrives I will probably need one more order from Del and I will be set and sorted for 2-3 months.

Finally!

My HC order was placed 29/9, they shipped via EMS on the 30th.
    From then there was no update on any of the tracking sites, 8 days of radio silence.

Today I have finally seen an update, in and out of customs.and awaiting clearance for delivery.

I'm really glad someone helped me out with some reject flavours and 10ml of no-flavour double nic to keep me going, but will be great to have my own stuff.

Besides, I'm nearly out of my Irish Cream JW mix... Need to mix some more ASAP.

Also feel much better having a second battery....
    Last edited by Caffeine; 09-10-11 at 02:58 AM.

Sik
    not generally a good idea naming good samaritans publicly.

glad to hear your order has almost arrived. a few days of radio silence is pretty normal while stuff is in transit between countries usually schedules for delivery next business day once released from customs
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123