Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone else not want their sense of smell back?

Smile Anyone else not want their sense of smell back?

Hi all, first time posting.

I switched to eCigs a few years ago when 901s and 510s were the new thing, but only lasted about 9 months before going back to smoking. One of the main reasons I relapsed into smoking was the inability to deal with my returning sense of smell. I'm 42 and smoked for almost 30 years, so my sense of smell has been more or less optional for my entire adult life, meaning that I would only smell something if it was very strong or if I took a deep whiff of something.

I've been back on the eCigs again for about a month now, just using CE4s and Ego-CC which I like a lot, feeling great all round, but the smells are coming back!

The thing is, I really don't want to know where and when every dog pooped on my street this last week, or who uses what deodorant, or who didn't shower that morning. I've lived my whole life without knowing these things, and for me now it is a relentless and extremely invasive assault inside my head. On a hot day, even my own body odour can make me nauseous!

Am I alone in this? I think most people see the returning sense of smell and taste as a positive, but it seems my sense of smell is just way over the top, maybe the olfactory circuits in my brain became hypersensitive to deal with being clogged up from so many years of smoking.

I've been doing a bit of googling to see if there are ways to deaden the sense of smell, or just take the edge off it. An amusing thing - someone was recommending this anti-bacterial air sanitizer Amazon.com - Ozium Glycol-Ized Professional Air Sanitizer / Freshener Original Scent, 0.8 oz. aerosol (OZ-1) and sure enough, it is based on PG.

I never smoked menthols, but it seems like menthol eCigs are probably a good idea for me, or just menthol in general. Apparently menthol is a mild nicotine uptake inhibitor, meaning that the nicotine will float around in your bloodstream longer.

Here's an interesting video about nuking your olfactory nerve with alcohol, intended as an appetite suppressant: Treat obese patients by deadening their sense of smell - YouTube

Anyway, just though I'd share, and also wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat?

Also, I was at my local tobacconist today, he has sold eCig starter kits and 0mg PG liquid for a while which I sometimes buy to cut the 36mg VG I get from China, but today he had some 18mg PG in stock. I didn't get it because it was way overpriced and I have plenty at home, but I'm wondering have the laws changed regarding selling eCig liquid containing nicotine?

right with you there on that one. The world smells bloody horrible most of the time.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Laws haven't changed, as far as I'm aware, seems that the guy may be doing things on the down low.

Here's a thought, that may help your situation, have you tried snuff?
    I have some snuff here & if you take a large enough pinch into each nostril, all you can smell is the snuff, for quite a while.
    The Mentholated snuff seems to have this effect the most, so a strongly Mentholated snuff would probably last longer too(a bit like vicks vapor rub?).

I quite enjoy being able to smell & taste better, for the most part, smelling the effects of last night's curry, as you sit on the bowl in the morning isn't something I enjoy so much though LOL
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    There are a couple of us here who don't own a sense of smell....

Vaping is very much dependent on owning a sense of smell if you want to enjoy almost all of the flavours that are available to you.
    Without a sense of smell you are pretty much just left with menthol... you might get a few hints of flavour from other liquids such as sweet, sour or metallic but you certainly wouldn't get to enjoy the full experience.

Personally I have always been tempted to take "The Crab Juice Challenge" but it wouldn't be fair play because I wouldn't be able to taste it lol

For funny videos on that topic see YouTube lol

Try to look on the bright side, some nasty smells are damn handy...... it would be so nice to know your dinner is burning or the milk has turned or the meat has gone off, or the gas is leaking, just by using your nose. The alternative ways of discovering these things are often none too pleasant and a little too late
    Noe, margyb and spud like this.

I kind of like smelling my own farts.

The best is when I fart in bed, and then wave the quilt up and down to get that awesome wave of my own freshness.

Were is the dislike button for gods sake!
    GirlyPantz and DEATHGUYJ like this.
    Vaping does not resemble poisonous tobacco smoking, it is a safe replacement.

Replace, not resemble.

Safe, not toxic.

My sense of smell has always been really good, even while smoking. So yes when I quit I know exactly what you mean! And I have a 7 year old son that thinks it's hilarious to fart on you and leg it......
    GirlyPantz likes this.

AVF Regular
    My sense of smell was absent after 20 years of smoking .. so were my taste buds. Now I cna smell everything .. I have 4 kids ranging from 0 to 13 ... it's all bad. I catch public transport and work in the city ... erg ...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    I quite enjoy being able to smell & taste better, for the most part, smelling the effects of last night's curry, as you sit on the bowl in the morning isn't something I enjoy so much though LOL
    so that's what it is damn curry the whole house smell like it, but that was the night before... lucky me family is not here...
    GirlyPantz likes this.

I have the same problem. I wouldn't get rid of the new bionic nose, but it can be real inconvenient at times. Like when all the tradies head back into my department at work after a 30degree day. Eew. I know individual ones by their smell, long before I see them! Double eew. Going out my front door and smelling cigarette smoke from the guy 3 doors down having a smoke on his front verandah.

It is certainly in overdrive in my case, but I always had a good sense of smell even when smoking. I have to be careful to not wrinkle my nose in public when I smell something. But there are good smells too, so I figure it balances out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast