Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often should I be changing the coil?

AVF Regular

How often should I be changing the coil?

I use evods mainly and just wondering how often I should be replacing the coil? I bought a pack of 6 and replaced all the ones I had but I think I'm missing out on some important maintenance... Should I change them every few days? (eek) Also, I haven't tried the cotton wool wick thing yet but am guessing I should be regularly changing the flavour wick? Oh I vape mainly at 100% vg if that makes a difference.

AVF Regular
    Depends on what juices you vape, how much you vape etc etc.
    anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks.
    KitKat likes this.

AVF Regular
    I've been vaping a month and yet to need replace a coil .. they foil up and need a wash / dry burn / flavor wick replace... I am yet to actually break one.
    KitKat likes this.

AVF Regular
    When they start under-performing, basically When you get a burnt taste that wont go away, or when they get all clogged up and cleaning them doesn't seem to help. Like User says the type of juice makes a difference, dark coloured juices often gunk up your coil quicker. Boiling and/or dry burning can help prolong the life a little too.
    KitKat likes this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

Quote Originally Posted by KitKat View Post
    I use evods mainly and just wondering how often I should be replacing the coil? I bought a pack of 6 and replaced all the ones I had but I think I'm missing out on some important maintenance... Should I change them every few days? (eek) Also, I haven't tried the cotton wool wick thing yet but am guessing I should be regularly changing the flavour wick? Oh I vape mainly at 100% vg if that makes a difference.
    Cleaning and dry burning your evod coils regularly, will make them last a lot longer. Its easy to do and if you do them all together it doesn't take that much time.

1. take old coils out of the base, soak them overnight in a vinegar and water solution, 1 part vinegar, to 10 parts water, (hot water is better). You can use the cheap home brand white vinegar, its perfectly fine for soaking.

2. rinse your coils and let them air dry for a few hours, you can help this along with a hair dryer if its a wet or cold day.

3. screw the coil back into the evod base, and place on a battery. Pulse the coil for 3-4 seconds at a time, until you see smoke coming off, and eventually the coil and wick glow a nice orange colour. Keep pulsing until you stop seeing any smoke coming off, and the coil glows nicely.

4. this step is one that I do, but not everyone does, I pop the coils in a small pot and boil in water for about 10mins, some people just give them a really good rinse under running water. This is to remove any ash from the burned off gunk on the coil, if you don't do this, you will get a nasty burnt taste when you use the coil again.

5. Air dry coils.

Your coils are now ready to use again This can prolong the life of one coil for up to 8 weeks, with an average of 4-6 weeks from each coil.

You don't need to change the wick if its a silica wick, these will not burn if you're dry burning. Cotton wicks cannot be dry burnt, and need to be remove if you are going to dry burn the coil.

Hope this helps
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Hmm... maybe I just should wash them more often then. I usually just wash them once I've vaped the juice in it, but thinking that I need to do it more often.

AVF Regular
    KitKat there is no fixed amount that you should wash, dry burn or change coils. There's too many variables for that.

The best way is to do it when it starts tasting off, or the vapour production goes down. After a while you can tell straight away when a coil is not performing well anymore. When they do what BlackDog said.

If you aren't noticing any of those things, then it's fine to keep using it.
    davee and KitKat like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks all!

AVF Regular
    I wash my coils weekly. i rotate between 2 sets of coils this way. Havent had any problems so far
    KitKat likes this.

AVF Regular
    There is really no standard on how frequent you should change the coil. Basically you can keep them until they don't function. But go down to personal preference that people may change coil when they feel:
    1. juice not taste as good as when a fresh new coil is installed
    2. clogging or leaking / flooding
    3. change different juice
    4. When the time you spend on dry burn almost the same as you build a new one
    5. whenever you feel like it

I use RBA but I change mine almost every 2nd or 3rd day. Just do what you prefer to vape and you make up your rules.
    KitKat likes this.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast