Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Health Issues after you give up smoking

AVF Regular

Health Issues after you give up smoking

So, I am now 2 months in and not one cigarette has touched my lips (Yah for me). BUT for the last 3 days I have been experiencing a big phlegm build up, coughing when I vape and everything I vape tastes like crap and after a couple of vapes no flavour. I am having to take little vapes to avoid coughing. I got onto a few overseas forums last night to try and see if this was the norm, but on most of them these issues were experienced within a couple of weeks of stopping smoking, so I am wondering if this is normal two months in. A few people had been to their GP's and said that it was the immune system starting to kick in again.

I am also wondering if having been a heavy smoker it will take longer for my body to get rid of the junk in my lungs and if this could be why I am experiencing this now. Apart from the above I feel fine and drinking lots of water to soothe the cough and get rid of the phlegm.

What were other peoples experiences in regards to their health and how long after stopping smoking did any issues occur?

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    I'm not sure it's not related to giving up two months ago. The lungs will start to clear themselves within a couple days, less with regular exercise.
    I'm thinking it might be not drinking enough water. I get similar things you mentioned when I'm not hydrated enough.
    As for the cough perhaps it might be the pg/vg blend? Or maybe you have changed equipment? Could be? I haven't really experience that, and we gave up at similar times.
    As for the taste.. have you heard of vapers tounge? Try mouth wash? A search here will pull up all sorts of remedies, strange and wacky ones too.
    Would be interested what other people have experienced as well when they gave up.
    Last edited by D3AB; 31-01-14 at 12:14 PM.

Money spent Vaping: Who cares, I'll live long enough to earn more!

Hi Ginar,

I found weeks 2 to 5 after my last stinky was the time where phlegm and coughing were issues. It'll definitely be different for everyone, and being a "heavy smoker" will surely slow down the recovery rate. The comment about the immune system kicking in sounds reasonable. Over the last few weeks, I've really started to feel a lot 'clearer', and I think this is from a combination of coming out of the cough/phlegm period in early Dec., and graduating to better quality vapour products earlier this month. Some of the cheap 510 cartomisers were really quite unpleasant, and made me cough almost worse than from analogues. Now I'm on the good stuff, and feeling the benefits of that.

'Ballaratish' hey? Brave. I was only willing to state that I wasn't in Melbourne! - but I'm Ballaratish too... the shame... Bitterly colder when it's cold and unbearably hotter than Melbourne in recent heatwaves. Can't win.

Cheers!

TiD
    Last edited by TobaccoIsDead; 31-01-14 at 12:31 PM.
    The Sodd likes this.
    TiD - TobaccoIsDead
    Smoked analogue cigarettes for 23 years; I want my money back...
    On the 14th of October, 2013, I murdered tobacco. Vaping ever since.
    Blue Tongue Genesis Hybrid SS/Smok XPRO M80/Smok E-Pipe/Innokin itaste VTR/Sigelei Zmax V5.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Had a few days of increased mucus a week or two ago which is very unusual for me. No problems with coughing but I use high vg. Vapers tongue already happened after 2 or 3 weeks of starting vaping.

]6⁹.12[

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TobaccoIsDead View Post
    Hi Ginar,

'Ballaratish' hey? Brave. I was only willing to state that I wan't in Melbourne! - but I'm Ballaratish too... the shame... Bitterly colder when it's cold and unbearably hotter than Melbourne in recent heatwaves. Can't win.

TiD
    Off topic - ex Melbourne too. Moved up this way August 2013 and it snowed the day we moved in. Totally different climate to Melbourne but am enjoying the breezes on hot days. No way would I consider living in Melb again, country living is so peaceful and a little laid back... loving it. Maybe if there are other people around our area we can organise get togethers to compare notes, help, flavour swapsies etc.
    Last edited by Ginar; 31-01-14 at 12:35 PM.
    GirlyPantz and TobaccoIsDead like this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

AVF Regular
    I am currently on 50/50, am a bit worried that if I go to a higher VG that it might kill the flavour in my juices. The cough is a bit better today, so am thinking I will monitor it for a few more days and then if it is still there go to a higher VG rate. Have tried the mouth wash trick - not much help unfortunately.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by D3AB View Post
    I'm not sure it's not related to giving up two months ago. The lungs will start to clear themselves within a couple days, less with regular exercise.
    I'm thinking it might be not drinking enough water. I get similar things you mentioned when I'm not hydrated enough.
    As for the cough perhaps it might be the pg/vg blend? Or maybe you have changed equipment? Could be? I haven't really experience that, and we gave up at similar times.
    As for the taste.. have you heard of vapers tounge? Try mouth wash? A search here will pull up all sorts of remedies, strange and wacky ones too.
    Would be interested what other people have experienced as well when they gave up.
    Could be new equipment - have started changing over to aspire vivi glassomizers, previously using a bit of this and a bit of that - mainly CE5s.

AVF Regular
    Perhaps you are getting the flu ..And yeah sounds like vape tounge ..
    GirlyPantz likes this.

N Sydney, Aus, Earth, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginar View Post
    I am currently on 50/50, am a bit worried that if I go to a higher VG that it might kill the flavour in my juices. The cough is a bit better today, so am thinking I will monitor it for a few more days and then if it is still there go to a higher VG rate. Have tried the mouth wash trick - not much help unfortunately.
    50/50 should be ok.

It's a process of elimination. You've been vaping too long for me to suggest switching coils if you are using clearos.
    Just have to test out stuff over the next few days. I wasted 15ml of juice trying to work out what was going on.

I really do recommend vaping plain or lime. Start from there are and watch what happens.

What are you using? Atty, clearo, kayfun. What coil?

]6⁹.12[

I coughed up a fair bit of blackish phlegm a couple weeks into vaping, nothing recently tho. Also developed a ridiculously sore throat and a few ulcer like sores in my mouth. Id say the sores continued down my throat. Just dealt with it using panadol and lozenges and it passed in a couple of weeks. Since then its been smooth sailing for me luckily.

Im no expert but Id say drink plenty of water and just try to put up with it till it passes. Maybe try unflavoured? Should negate the taste thing.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast