Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Steeping 101

AVF Regular

Steeping 101

I've recently seen steeping in the context of single shots. I was under the impression steeping begins when adding nicotine to a flavour, or does the flavour itself need to steep?

Ok I'm a noob myself but the steeping does not start with the nicotene, it is the flavours that need to mature. My understanding and limited experience is fruits don't usually need a long steep, custards,creams, tobaccos take longer, at least a week, preferably more. There is a thread in here somewhere that I can't find right now on accelerated steeping. I'm sure someone will link to it. As for the nic, it can affect the flavours a little but in reality if you wanted you could add it just before using the liquid and give it a good shake to mix and you have your nic. Having said that it is usually added at mixing so all the flavours steep together.
    More experienced members feel free to shoot me down in flames if I am wildly out in this.
    merexy likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have been vaping for a while and should know this so don't apologize

But if what you are saying is correct there are 2 stages of steeping. When flavour is made and then again when nic is added?

No thats not quite right. I probably confused the issue for you so - the way I do it is, work out all the amounts of the different ingedients to go in the mix then in this order pg, vg, flavours, nic. Seal the bottle, shake the hell out of it and throw it in a cool dark place (a drawer in my study desk) for at least a week then vape away. If I think of it I might give it a shake every couple of days but thats it. Everything needs to mix and the flavours need to go through the mixture, this takes time. The flavours will mix and mature with or without the nic in the mixture, the nic itself does not require steeping time, the flavours do and the easiest time to add the nic is when you make up the mixture.
    Hope thats a little clearer.
    Note to self, no drinking and posting in future.....
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think I may have led you astray also.

I know how to steep, just curious about the flavour steeping vs adding nic steeping

Thanks for your reply though, cheers

Ok crossed wires, yeah as I see it nic only needs to mix not steep in the way flavours need to.
    And just for your information I am easily led astray and I like it that way
    dan6a likes this.

AVF Regular
    You can accelerate steeping by either mixing with a milk frother or miniature paint stirrer ( like I have) or using a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner or both. Be careful not to "over mix" with the stirrers. Once it goes milky that's enough. Don't go stirring the bejeebers out of it. Bit like mixing pancake batter or a sponge. Too much will f*ck it up. Don't ask me why, it just does. Then the long sit steep, more so like mentioned before for the juices to mix, not so much on the fruit ones. Could also be a chemical reaction of the ingredients over time. Like slow cooking or marinating meat it just gets better.

Any smart peps want to explain why the order is important? Also why it takes a week for them to combine? I'm a noob and interested in the process.

AVF Regular
    its probably due to viscosity of the various liquids - molecule size n all that. to get them to mix in a homogenous harmony takes time. also air is or can be important for some juices - I find with the creamy or tobacco ones. it reacts with the total mixture - like an oxidisation, the liquid will physically darken over time as this happens.

like anything in life - too much of anything is a bad thing, sometimes its trial and error and a whole bucket of patience.
    amount saved by not smoking: $lots
    amount spent on vaping: $not enough

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    As merexy suggested, if you are looking for a milk frother, the Epica Automatic Electric Milk Frother works wonders for me. Try it.
    Last edited by Fatman; 30-06-17 at 12:39 PM. Reason: modifying link ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast