Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just started today, but....

I have just received my very first order from Health Cabin (ego V.V. batteries, carts and drip tips) with 10 bottles of 16mg prefab 100% VG juices. My previous experience with vaping was with a trial pack of Social-lites which i picked up through one of those daily deals sites. I enjoyed the flavours and the fact that i could vape without the associated smells and cost of analogues. I didnt enjoy the lack of throat hit (0mg nic), the lack of vapour produced, the short lasting battery and cartriges. I also discovered that the refills were very expensive. SO... I have been very excited about getting a "real" product in my hand. Having tried about 4 different e-juices so far, i have to say that i'm a little worried.

So far, i have been most impressed by the battery life and the amount of vapour that is being produced. The feel of using these is very satisfactory as a replacement for regular cigs (if not a little heavy).

My main concern seems to be that the flavours are, what i would consider, very weak (at least compared to the Social-lites) and the throat hit (i assume thats what it is) is way too harsh. I find myself coughing after almost every "drag". I'm used to my smokes being mellow and smooth, but the vaping i have been doing today has left my mouth dry and my throat sore.

My question is, what is causing this? I know that VG gives more vapour at the expense of flavour, but how much of a trade-off is the VG/PG divide?

Oh yeah, the Carts i got are large capacity (2.9ml), I have no idea if i have filled them enough or not enough. It seems that i filled them till the filler was soaked, but my eyes arent what they once were...

Is it the nic content thats causing the issue? I usually smoke lower tar level cigs, so is having a 16mg content just a jolt to my system?

Or do i just need more time getting used to the new way of things?

I have a feeling that mixing the VG with some PG to lower the nic content may help with this somewhat, but i'm concerned that this will also reduce the flavour even more.

Or it could just be that i bought the wrong flavours.... My selection mainly tended towards the sweet (vanilla, banana, cola, etc Dekang juices), so i was expecting... well... sweetness. What i got was a chemically tasting flavour, but no sweetness. Is that normal in these flavours? If so, then i need to change my expectations.

My next lot of juice will be DIY, i think, so i can regulate the content (HC's prefab flavours all seem to be either 100% VG or PG), but i have 200ml of juice here that, right now, i'm not enjoying so much.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially where the best place to get some sweet sweet flavours from (or if HC is the best place to get nic juice from is or not)
    Last edited by brob; 29-11-11 at 07:25 PM. Reason: new info

AVF Regular
    The coughing will stop the more you vape. Then you will start coughing if you smoke a normal ciggie.

My question is, what is causing this? I know that VG gives more vapour at the expense of flavour, but how much of a trade-off is the VG/PG divide?

I can only offer my opinion on this as i have never vaped 100% VG juice before. I think the most common mix would be 80%PG / 20%VG. It always comes down to personal preference but when ordering pre-mixed juices in the beginning i order a variety of nic strengths and PG/VG mixes to find my own sweet spot.

Is it the nic content thats causing the issue? I usually smoke lower tar level cigs, so is having a 16mg content just a jolt to my system?

16Mg would be around average strength i think. Usually TH is pretty much in line with Nic content. Did you notice any difference dialing through the different voltage settings?

Or do i just need more time getting used to the new way of things?

Vaping is all about choice. Mixing flavors, strength, PG, Vg, voltages. I think that everyone has a sweet spot or "Vaping Nirvana (another thread here) and you just need to do some experimenting to find it. I got lucky with one of my first orders. RedBull @ 24mg 90%PG 10%VG was perfect for me to give up the ciggies.

I have a feeling that mixing the VG with some PG to lower the nic content may help with this somewhat, but i'm concerned that this will also reduce the flavour even more.

It will dilute the flavor to an extent (i personally dont find much flavor in Health Cabin juices to begin with). If they are not enjoyable at their current strength thou you have little to loose. Leaving them in sunlight can also reduce the Nic content somewhat and make them smoother.

Or it could just be that i bought the wrong flavours.... My selection mainly tended towards the sweet (vanilla, banana, cola, etc Dekang juices), so i was expecting... well... sweetness. What i got was a chemically tasting flavour, but no sweetness. Is that normal in these flavours? If so, then i need to change my expectations.

Im guessing you ordered Dekang brand flavors? I have not enjoyed any of their flavors. I think there are plenty of Vendors out there who offer a superior product.

My next lot of juice will be DIY, i think, so i can regulate the content (HC's prefab flavours all seem to be either 100% VG or PG), but i have 200ml of juice here that, right now, i'm not enjoying so much.

You can order some 0% nic juice from an Australian Vendor in a similar flavor and attempt to salvage it. That way you can reduce the harshness and better the flavor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially where the best place to get some sweet sweet flavours from (or if HC is the best place to get nic juice from is or not)

I order all my 0 nic juice from:
    http://www.juicewhore.com/store/inde...ewCat&catId=24
    and http://www.vapebar.com.au/categories/Vixen-Vapors/

I ordered my Nic from
    http://www.greenhouseone.com/Unflavo...20ML-p/di3.htm
    I have ordered pre-mixed juices from http://www.tastyvapor.us/ and was happy with them.

Most of all welcome to the forum. I hope that Vaping can be a successful NRT for you as it has been for me.
    Last edited by chilli; 29-11-11 at 07:35 PM. Reason: editing

CCC
    Hi brob. Have you checked out the ECF forum yet?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

As a week old noob myself, i have found this site has answers for all of my questions. Your not the first one to have the throat problems, infact it is quite normal and is pretty much a symptom of stopping tabacco and starting vapour. And you may not be tasting much at this stage because it takes a few days for you tastebuds to adjust after you quit smoking.

If you do go down the DIY path, most people here get unflavoured nic from overseas at double the strength you want, and then get some flavour juice 0%nic to mix it with from Australian vendors. I haven't really heard good things about Dekang juice, and i have never tried it so can't tell you if they are nice or not.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Hi brob and welcome

First thing to say, its not easy to find your sweet spot, but don't give up. You there are a couple of things that can go wrong when you first start. I assume you are using cartomizers? If that's the case you will have to make sure they are juiced up properly. My method used to be to totally flood them, and then allow to drain for a good while. Just before use, blow out into a tissue and they are good to go. If they are not saturated first time, you will get dry hits, and that is burning the wadding inside. Once this happens, no amount of remedial work will rectify them. After that, all that is needed is to drip fill when the flavor starts to drop off.

Some of the stuff shipped from China are already primed with a disgusting concoction that needs working out of the system. Maybe this is another issue? There are lots of threads regarding this.

Check the voltage on your unit. Set too high, it can give detrimental results results, and your experience with the hard throat hit indicates to me that this could be another cause..

Juice??? I am probably the wrong person to be offering advice as I only stick with tobacco flavors. I do know that sweet stuff will shorten the useful life of anything you screw onto the battery, especially the oily, darker juices.

Go down to your local 2 dollar shop and buy some of the plastic shot glasses. They are a couple of dollars for thirty. They are very good for mixing and experimenting with small quantities of juice. All my vaping is done with 100% PG, but I occasionally do mix with some VG, I find 20%VG 80% pg, leaves me with something that I can use in cartomizers without much of an issue.

If you are going to start mixing your own concoctions, I suggest you arm yourself with a few different sized syringes with with the pointy end being around 18 gauge. Its easier to measure things this way.

Good luck

Super Moderator
    also part of it is actually learning the art or vaping as opposed to smoking. the way you inhale is different. with vaping, you take a slow inhale into your mouth, then suck it into your lungs. just takes getting used to.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

Thanks for the detailed response.

I think i made a tactical error by ordering the premade VG juice. My thinking at the time was that i would like more vapour than i was getting from the Social-Lites i had been vaping and hey, the flavour couldn't be that effected, right? But i really think from reading more that this was an error. Yes, i only ordered Dekang juices (they were the only ones that HC sold as VG), and as i said in my original post, i'll be mixing my own from now on. Thanks for the links, btw.

To be honest, i havent noticed any difference between the voltage levels other than the amount of vapour that is present. I might try your suggestion re 0% nic juice and blending that to see what happens...

Thanks again

AVF Regular
    I hate to agree with you, but i also think the 100% vg was an error.

I've only been vaping for a month and a bit. I made a ton of errors when starting including ordering 100% vg crap flavoured nic.

I think that getting the ego vv was a great choice. I wish I'd have known of it before ordering my first kit.

Just had a quick scan through this thread and couldn't see it, sorry if someone's already mentioned this though.

DRINK MORE FUCKING WATER.

Seriously, increase your hydration when you first start eCigs, or you may be prone to the dry throat and nausea. Dropping the % of VG will also help, but step 1 is to increase your hydration

Hey Robray

I am using Cartomisers (2.9ml). I knew about the "burning" issue, so i tried as much as i could to ensure they were properly filled. Basically, I kept adding juice until it started dripping out the bottom. This may or may not have been a good thing. I let them stand for a couple of mins before trying them out. (at this point i would like to point out that my starter pack came with zero instructions on how to use it. None...).

I shall follow up on that primer issue. I hadnt heard about that before.

I'm mainly using the 3.7v setting when i vape. Not for any other reason than i dont really taste any difference.

Thanks for the tips on mixing. I'll look into those.

And i'm also assuming that once you use a cartomiser with one flavour, you cannot use it for another flavour once you done. I think this simply because, if it has to be kept wet, then you cant then add another juice without mixing the 2 in the cart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast