Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie using Cartomisers

Hi,

I've been playing with e-cigs for nearly a year now, using them mainly in situations where I'm not allowed to smoke normally for long periods, such as plane flights etc. I have the Green-Smoke ones.

Recently, I've ordered from the US the Eversmoke ones, but on reading these threads, I've noticed that no-one uses the cartomizers and I somehow get lost in all this talk of e-liquid mixtures and tools, I feel that sticking to the more expensive cartomizers makes life less complicated and I don't have to be a chemist.

Am I missing something (apart from money in buying the GreenSmoke ones)?

I also gave up real cigs 3 months ago and find that the e-cig just doesn't get me over that panic bit, so I have a low strength patch as well as the occassional puff on the e-cig - but I want to get rid of the patch and use the e-cig completely, once again, am I missing something?

Cheers

AVF Regular
    I'm using a lot of cartos too.. but what I don't like about them:
    -After several days the taste of the filling material starts coming through and they're spent.
    -When you toss a carto (yes, they're cheap and meant to be tossed), you waste a fair amount of juice.. goes double for the mega sized ones.
    -Inconsistency.

Tanks prolong their life, but somehow seem to suppress the flavour a lot of the time.

I have some IKV Fusions on the way and am hoping they solve a lot of these problems.

If you're just using pre-filled cartos, then you're missing out on some great flavours.. but if they satisfy you then all good I guess.

Hi KittyKat and welcome!

I'm sure others will chime in here but sounds to me like you need to upgrade your hardware. If you're looking for an ecig that looks similar a traditional smoke, I'd recommend a Joye510 or Joye510T. Once you have a starter kit, you can just buy premixed flavoured nicotine liquid from Overseas to fill your empty cartomisers (Joye510) or your empty tanks (Joye510T). It's not that much of a hassle compared to having to buy replacement prefilled cartomisers for your current mini ecig. The only difference is, you fill the cartos with your pre-mixed juice There are plenty of recommendations for flavoured nic juice throughout this forum, pick a vendor, place an order, fill up your joye and away you go!
    If you want something with a bit more battery power and oomph and dont mind that it looks more like a cigar than a cigarette, try an EGO Mega or EGO-T. Same deal with filling, just a larger battery device.
    Both the Joye 510's and EGO's can be purchased in a starter kit within Australia for a LOT cheaper than what you've purchased previously. Check out the suppliers section of this forum.
    Hope this helps!

I haven't saved sh*t! woops:

CCC
    Hi KittyKat, welcome to Aussie Vapers First of all congratulations on giving the smokes the flick. If you could tell us what mg you used to smoke and how many per day we could give you better suggestions on what kind of e-liquid might suit you the best.

Generally speaking 24mg is a good place to start to keep those panic attacks away, were you getting the greensmoke "strong" cartos? They are 24mg and if they weren't doing the trick for you you may need to go higher. What flavours do you like?

There are so many types of hardware available it can get confusing, but you are now familiar with the 2 piece system Battery + cartomizer, you can now upgrade to an eGo and you will still have the sam 2 piece system just bigger longer lasting batteries and bigger cartos that you will need to fill yourself with e-juice, and don't worry you don't need to be a chemist to do that, you can buy pre mixed juice at a nic level of your choice from overseas suppliers. Then all you do is drip it into your empty carto. Once you are comfortable doing this you will probably want to mix your own juice (for fun really) and then you can ask questions here about how to get started with that.

The greensmoke and eversmoke e-cigs you have are great to take on planes and movies, etc for stealthy smoking, but for home use i would really recommend you get yourself a bigger 510 model, and i am 99% sure when you try one out you will put your little ones away and never look back.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone here is more than happy to help new vapers have a comfortable transition to e-cigs.

Hi kitty
    I would definitely suggest an Ego starter kit, and some low resistance cartomisers. Boge 510 are great and cheap. They really pack a punch and with a 24mg juice will give you a nice throat hit to keep you off the cigs. Any of the Aussie vendors are great and will bend over backward to get you on the right track. I use Vapebar because they are in my state and their customer service is great. Ecigz is also good. Good luck with it all
    Pisces

Wow, thank you everyone for such quick replies.

I used to smoke Horizon orange (not sure what mg that even was now). I am ordering the Greensmoke 24mg cartomizers in Chocolate at the moment but just finding they aren't satisfying enough, but actually love the e-cig itself - lots of vapour and love the way it looks and feels just like a analog cig.

The idea of filling tanks and buying juice mixtures and pouring them in and using syringes to fill cartridges freaks me out a bit (I'm old!), but I'm also sick of paying heaps and waiting weeks for the new cartridges to come and I'm tempted to try something here in AUS and perhaps like you guys, order the e-juice.

I think I'm ready to make the plunge and will look into all your suggestions!

hi kittykat.. Happy vaping... once you start mixing your own juice the whole thing comes into its own...personally I have never really enjoyed cartomisers..in particular, the Boge LR carts...out of a pack of five, it seems I have to throw away three after my first vape. I make sure they are all juiced up, but somehow they taste burned. beleive me I have tried and been patient..just not much luck I suppose... the 510 T and ego T (tank) are pretty good though..
    cheers
    LD
    Last edited by LazyDog; 13-01-12 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Okay, I will take the leap from laziness of just buying the pre-made things, to delving into the strange world of blank cartridges, tanks and liquids.

I have checked out the 510T starter kit from e-cigz.com.au.
    If I purchase that kit - do I then have to find somewhere to buy liquid?
    Do I purchase e-liquid or e-juice? How do I get the juice into the tank?
    Do I need to buy blank cartridges?
    What exactly is the "tank" compared to the cartridges?
    What liquid would I purchase if I just want something with perhaps 24mg tobacco or a coffee flavour?
    How long does it take for the liquid to arrive, where is the best place to purchase it.
    What is an atomizer?

I will start with purchasing the 510T kit and all the recommended accessories - is that a good start?

Thanking you ALL for your patience and help!

Lazydog, I'm sitting here with my greensmoke and feeling that slight burn feel in my throat and its a brand new Cartomizer! so you really hit a cord for me to work my way through this new way of doing things!

GGecigs sell a small tank for about $8. I think they are available at other aussie stores as well. you don't need a syringe or anything like that to fill them. you will need an ego though for them to work...if you get the 510 T, they come with little plastic tanks that are easy to fill. just flipmthe lid..I have a white automatic set and I love them for out and about...easy to fill, no sweat. I would start there myself...as for nic etc..I'll let the others chime in

cheers LD

FWIW , here is my 2 cents worth ......

Pre-filled cartos are OK to get you started , but you are at the mercy of the vendors , re: quality and strength of juice. This is also a more expensive option .

As all Ecigs basically work the same way , the primary difference is battery size. The larger the battery , the longer it will last before it needs recharging. Another advantage of the larger units is their ability to provide more power , which will increase the amount of vapour. Even at 3.7Volts , a 900 MAH battery gives more OOMPH than a 200 MAH cig lookalike battery.

To drip , or not to drip ? This comes down to personal choice. Dripping on a good quality atty produces very satisfying amounts of vapour and flavour , but the atty must be re dripped every 5 puffs or so .

Cartos , on the other hand , can last some people all day without the need to be refilled . ( YMMV). Recently , there has been a huge increase in the number of variations on this theme , single coils in low , standard and high resistance , dual coils , bottom feeders , clearomisers , horizontal coils ,tanks, even triple coils!!

It all comes down to what works best for you . What works for me , may leave you unimpressed , and vice versa . Try some different products , half the fun is in the journey !!

Now to the all important juice ......

DIY or premixed?????

Once again , personal choice. There are some terrific premixed juices out there , and there are some bloody awful ones as well ! The down side is , if you want to buy juices with nicotine , you have to import them from overseas. This takes time ( particularly from the US or UK) , and can be costly in terms of postage etc .

What many of us do , is import a quantity of nicotine from overseas , so you only have to worry about one lot of international postage , then buy the flavours from our vendors right here in Oz !! You can then control the strength of both Nicotine and flavour , to suit your personal needs .

Filling cartos is not rocket science , it involves a syringe and blunt filling needle , it is a very quickly learned skill !! It is about a 30 second job , and can last for many hours ( or even days for some people !) .

Once you have the right set up for you , there is no going back to the stinkarettes ! Ecigs are much more satisfying , cheaper , and healthier !

So , in a nutshell , here is what I recommend :

1) Get a larger battery ( 900MAH is a good starting place).
    2) Try a few different sorts of cartomisers or atties ( depending on whether you want to drip or not ) .
    3) Import some nic juice , and then buy some flavours from the vendors here in Australia.
    4) Enjoy your new toys !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast