Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    AVF Regular

Gday! newbie with some questions

Hello! glad to have found vaping and this forum. here's my 1st post and of course, as a newbie, i have to follow tradition by asking questions they're underlined btw.

so incoming wall of text:

bit of a background
    friend introduced me to vaping 5th Jan and since then, i've probably had 7 sticks and #'s 5-7 were lit because the batt ran out of charge. never finished them each time, as they tasted like carton! blech!
    he is using the provari and we set out to buy one for me but to my dismay, the stores we went to were out of stock so had to settle for a eGo-T 650mAh passthrough batt. also got 2x 801 LR and 2x 510 LR atties and drip tips for both. also got about 3 little bottles (don't know if they're 5ml or 10ml ones) of various dekang flavours (red usa that i never finished, moved onto the apple and is now just about finished, and also strawberry) and also a bottle of Heaven Gifts caramel all of which the storeperson suggested. these were all from a place called "vape" in the philippines. now my batt is stainless and has a different logo from the joyetech ego-t's that i see.

but first the atty's:
    the 1st 801 LR (which was prepared by friend for me by sucking the primer liquid but not inhaling it - what is that term called?) went ok for about 2 days until it started tasting real bad like burnt plastic with a sharp stinging sensation on the back of the mouth or nasal cavity so after reading up on it, i assume that atty is dead and can't be saved? so i pop the 2nd 801 LR in and did what i saw my friend did and put in about 6-7 drops as friend has done with the first atty - is that method correct/kosher?
    now i've been happily vaping using the atty via direct drip - after some time, i've learned when to tell if it's run out and needs to be dropped. at first i had plenty of flooding (is that the correct term for when you've put in too much drops and it overflows from the base of the atty) but later on, i've found that 3 drops is just about right. gives me about 8 to 10ish vapes (was about to type drags) until the apple flavour is nearly gone and it starts to taste a little bit funny.
    the 1st 510 LR i blew the primer out after watching a youtube vid about preparing the 510 LR atty. i put in a few drops of strawberry and blew out some as well, then finally 3 drops. is this the correct way of "preparing" your atty for use?. anyway, it tasted burnt as well like my first 801 LR atty. or it was probably me that wrecked it. i tried dry burning it (again after watching another youtube vid) but still tasted the same or probably worse.
    with the 2nd 510 LR, i de-wicked and de-bridged because of another youtube vid. i find it ok and used it for a couple of days but went back to the 801 LR for more clouds.

now the batt:
    it probably took about 4 days before i realised i had to charge the thing. i didn't vape heavily from the time i got it until two weeks later when i got back home. been happily using it from then on.
    one time, i dropped the batt from just above waist height onto a tiled floor. tried to vape, and it was ok for a few hours. later that day, i noticed the vapour production wasn't as much and took a little while for the atty to vapourise the juice. i charged it earlier that day but plugged it in again in case but after about 10 mins, the charging light (red) turned off, vaped, same thing. looking inside the atty while button is pressed down, i can see the vapour goes up a lot slower but i can actually see some of the liquid bubbling/boiling in there. tried the working 510 LR atty and same thing. only when i put in a drop or two is when i get good vapes off either the 801 or 510.
    has the batt weakened somehow? how do i find out if it has? time to buy a new batt? i've read that using LR atty's reduces the 650mAh battery life from 10 hrs to 6 hrs (all approximations) but NOT the life of the battery itself (it's only been 22 days).

hmm, that should be enough for now. hope your head didn't ache too much if you had read it at all. mind you, i do have more questions about juice and stuff but will save that for another day. thanks for reading.

AVF Regular

what i have/am using

IMG_1866.jpg
    here's a pic of what i'm using at the moment. i've been told by the salesperson that it was an eGo-T 650mAh passthrough battery and i think it is judging by the size and comparing it to other images online. but the question is - is it a joyetech one or a copycat? notice the logo on the base of the batt and the cap for the mini usb port. i couldn't find it amongst all the images i looked at (or i just fail at google image search). does anyone know what it is or better yet, have one of them?

also about the batt, will screwing the atty's too much reduce the amount of current it gives out to the atty over time? i see really thin semi-circular marks on the circular contact point.

CCC
    Hi Rick, welcome to AV. Sounds like you jumped into the deep end with your vaping experience. Most people will start out with cartomizers or atomizers + cartridges, then move onto dripping once they are more familiar with the e-cig. But nevermind that, if you are a dripper from the beginning it is great that you have found a forum where people can help you through the learning curve.

So you have learned that there is primer fluid in the atty when you first get it, i don't think there is a "term" for blowing it out, most people will just say "blow out the primer fluid."

When you get that burnt taste, i think it is time to clean the atty, before you consider it dead.

It does take a few drops and puffs to get the atty going and to reach the flavourful vapour so yes what your friend did was kosher. And yes flooding is what happens if you over fill.

You can blow the juice through the atty after blowing out the primer, but simply puffing on it a few times without inhaling into your lungs works too.

Dropping your battery may have moved the center pin down a touch, therefore making contact with the atty less, you can get a pair of tweezers and try to move the center pin up a little to fix this.

I would say that the battery you have there is a copy of a genuine eGo, it is not a big deal, some of the copies are just as good as the real deal. I would definatly suggest getting another couple of batteries, a spare charger and some cartomizers to try out. You can get all of these online, from Australia or overseas.

I'm not a great beleiver in dewicking and debridging attys, it simply makes the active part of the atty smaller and reduces the juice quantity available to vape, also nothing to suck up any excess. is ok to use to test a juice flavour as its got not much area for crud to build up in.

i dont think dropping a battery will weaken it, unless maybe it broke a wire internally. I had a 650 that vaped weak and got hot on the bottom, (original ego) turned out the wire was broken off the base internally and only made partial contact. that was not a hard fix if you have the tools.
    if the battery is getting hot anywhere, thats maybe a possibility. easiest way to tell is to get spares though.

it almost sounds like you are flooding it, that makes it slow and bubble and boil till the excess goes away.
    blow it out and then try vaping it and see if it works quickly then.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    thanks for the quick replies!

CCC -the center pin felt like it was 'immovable' and didn't want to mess with it until i get another spare or two (or a provari from hack)

Stoney - you are probably right in saying that i flooded it. i blew the juice (the last of the apple) out semi-hard twice and put in about 3 drops of strawberry. i think it vapes ok now but doesn't seem like as much as it used to be afaik. in any case, i'm not gonna mess it with it anymore and just live with it until i get spares. i don't wanna go back to analogs. it's kinda like once you've watched bluray, dvd's seem like they're very grainy and pixelated. mmm, best analogy i can come up (just woke up).

also, any suggestion on what other connections (mods? is that the right term) i should order for the provari? only gonna be using it at home as it looks too big to bring it elsewhere at the moment. maybe wait til i have a few converts before i bring unfamiliar things to work. i remember my friend is using the 306 LR with a drip tip at 4.5V.

AVF Regular
    some people use nothing but dewicked and debridged atomisers and love them. I dont though, never seen a huge benefit, and think they make the atomiser less tolerant to under/over dripping. I drip 90% of the time and prefer 510/306/i06 lr atomisers when using on an ego or other 3.7v device. I actually put in about 3 to 5 drips at a time.

AVF Regular

i06

Quote Originally Posted by Mickg33 View Post
    510/306/i06 lr atomisers
    o never came across the i06. how would u rank it vs the 510? googling it too.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictRick View Post
    o never came across the i06. how would u rank it vs the 510? googling it too.
    It is an IKV atomiser - hybrid 306. I think in general all IKV's are 10 to 20% better than other atomisers. It has a tighter draw than a 510 but more flavour and slightly warmer vape, a tad more difficult to drip with. At 3.7v's the i06 is my go to. I also though like all IKV atomisers, of late I have gone back to ikv 3.5ohm 510/i06 atomisers at 5v's as you get alot more vapour and they last longer. I prefer the IKV 510 at higher voltage though.

But like everything in the vaping world its subjective and depends what you as an individual like. 306 atomisers are more difficult to drip with but good if you like lots of warmer vapour, 901's are good for flavour not so much for vapour, 510's are somewhere in the middle, ego t atomisers are good if you like cool vapour and in my opinion bugger all flavour lol. For everyone that prefers one of the above you will find an equal number that hate them.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 27-01-12 at 08:03 PM.

AVF Regular
    thanks for the info. i'll have to try them all

http://forums.aussievapers.com/attac...2&d=1327600445
    also, if you look at my batt - what type is it? i know that i can use 510 threaded attys on it since that's what i'm using now (and the 801 LR via an adapter). i keep reading ego-T type A type B but couldn't seem to distinguish what "type" i can fit on my batt.

it would also help if you can identify the other two atty's in the pic since i'm not very sure about the ohms and that.
    Last edited by AddictRick; 27-01-12 at 08:11 PM.

AVF Regular
    [QUOTE=AddictRick;45589. these were all from a place called "vape" in the philippines. now my batt is stainless and has a different logo from the joyetech ego-t's that i see.[/INDENT]

Welcome to the family Rick,

Its seems that you went to my home country...well it was, now that i've migrated here for i think 11 years now. Anywho, there are hits and miss along the way of vaping and backup always have a backups learned my lesson the hard way...And find yours style or sweetspot might be tank, cartomizer or dripping..For me i like dripping most of the time..try the i06 1.8ohms on the ego 3.7v, thats my sweetspot..

Anyway welcome and keep on vaping..

TETsky

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast