Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Beginners problems and solutions.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Hello, I'm new to vaping recently purchased an Eleaf Istick 40 watt vapor, bought the ejuice and nicotine and made a batch at 12 milligrams, the wattage is set to 28 as the shop suggested, took my first vape and nearly passed out my lungs seized up couldn't breathe and coughed like there was no tomorrow, I thought maybe try a lower dose of nicotine, made a batch of 6 milligrams, and guess what the same result, i've been told vaping is supposed to be enjoyable but when I think of picking up my vape i just want to run a mile, I have been doing mouth to lung vape and only drawing a little but it still makes me cough and seize my lungs....please can some one help and give mr some pointers on what to do.
    28 watts could be way too high, depending on what the tank is on the istick. Never use some else's recommendation for power - we are all different and result will vary a lot.

Without knowing what you have on there, start low - about 12 watts. Gradually turn it up until you get a good vape. Unfortunately if you've badly burned the coil it will never taste like it should - might be best to replace the coil and start again from low wattage. Most mouth to lung tanks will work at lower power - 12 to 16 watts. As a new vaper that's where you need to be anyway. Which vape shop was it?
    gert likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    28 watts could be way too high, depending on what the tank is on the istick. Never use some else's recommendation for power - we are all different and result will vary a lot.

Without knowing what you have on there, start low - about 12 watts. Gradually turn it up until you get a good vape. Unfortunately if you've badly burned the coil it will never taste like it should - might be best to replace the coil and start again from low wattage. Most mouth to lung tanks will work at lower power - 12 to 16 watts. As a new vaper that's where you need to be anyway. Which vape shop was it?
    I should have just waited until Brains had spoken
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hey there,

Not sure if it belongs here, but I definitely had a bunch of beginner's problems today.

First, I can't clapton anything with my Bosch cordless drill! Core just keeps breaking at the chuck - I blame cheap swivels from k-mart. Fixed to some extent with hairpin trick - but the whole thing got wobbly AF.

Second, tried a couple of fused stapled/staggered coils (28N80 / 30K, fused with 30K and 28N80/30K with extra 34K twisted double core). Staggered part was no problem with the button trick - very quick and consistent. However, fusing part was a nightmare - bloody thing just refuses to get in the bloody grooves! Cores also twisted and wobbled all the way - no luck.

Ended up building half-arsed fused clapton (28N80 / 40K), very inconsistent, but I was committed to vape on whatever crap I produce tonight. Made barely enough wire to make 2 coils 5 loops each - looks extremely funny in Tsunami RDA. Ended up with .24 ohms firing at 45W. Clearly cloud chasing build - very little taste.

Any ideas on how to improve are very appreciated.

upd: after re-watching a couple of staggered/fused tutorials, note to myself: you forgot to loosen the wire, you idiot!
    Last edited by ecole; 25-05-17 at 02:09 AM.

No flavour - am I doing it wrong?

Hey guys I need your help!

I've decided to kick the cancer sticks once and for all (quit a bunch of times, but always went back when I was fighting with the GF, or had a really heavy study load), and decided E-cigs are the go. Wasn't a heavy smoker (a pack every 3 days or so), but enough is enough.

I did a little research, and got what I thought was a reasonable setup - an Eleaf Ipower 80w and an Aspire Nautilus mini (1.6 Ohm). I didn't want to smash a hole in my wallet, but I also didn't want to spend too little on rubbish products and have to buy something new. Also, it's important to me to be able to enjoy this vaping thing, because I don't go back to cigarettes.

When I was purchasing nicotine from Hiliq.com, I thought I might as well grab some eliquids as well, so I purchased the following:

Ry4, PG/VG 50/50, 12mg

555 PG/VG 50/50 12mg

Cigar PG/VG 50/50 24mg

Sinful Cake PG/VG 20/80 12mg

The shipping and packaging were awesome, which was good, because it gave me time to breathe and steep them while I waited for my mod to arrive in the mail.

I took the caps off and let them breathe for 12 hours, and put them in a dark cupboard for a week and a few days, shaking them every day.

I was pretty damn excited when I got my mod in the mail - time to experience this vaping thing!!!

But the experience didn't really live up to the expectation. I experimented with different wattage levels, from about 6 to 30 (tasted burnt at this level), and I can barely taste anything. These liquids smell really nice (especially the sinful cake), and when people have been vaping around me in the past, it's always smelled really nice, but I can barely even taste the difference between them.

I've experimented with putting the nautilus on all of its different airflow settings (the smallest one feels the best for some reason), and even tried direct-to-lung inhaling (not for me), and I can taste food okay (like I said, I wasn't a heavy smoker), but I feel like I might as well be putting the liquid in an aromatherapy oil burner.

I've read about vaper's tongue, but what I'm saying is that I got almost no flavour from the get-go.

Is it the e-liquid? Hiliq seem to get decent reviews on their product, and like I said, their postage and packaging were awesome.

Am I doing something wrong?

I don't want to just give upon this and then one day go back to cigarettes when I'm under stress.

Maybe my expectations were just too high?

I get a bit of a scratchy throat when I'm vaping, but I read that's pretty normal, and try to drink a fair bit of water when I vape - hey, at very least I'm better hydrated than I used to be!

I'm currently steeping the El-Toro sample pack from House Of Liquid, and I'm hoping that might do the trick.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBenny View Post
    No flavour - am I doing it wrong?

But the experience didn't really live up to the expectation. I experimented with different wattage levels, from about 6 to 30 (tasted burnt at this level), and I can barely taste anything. These liquids smell really nice (especially the sinful cake), and when people have been vaping around me in the past, it's always smelled really nice, but I can barely even taste the difference between them.

I've experimented with putting the nautilus on all of its different airflow settings (the smallest one feels the best for some reason), and even tried direct-to-lung inhaling (not for me), and I can taste food okay (like I said, I wasn't a heavy smoker), but I feel like I might as well be putting the liquid in an aromatherapy oil burner.
    On its smallest airflow setting, that atomiser might work best at around 12 watts - maybe 10 to 15 watts depending.

You've made a great start really - it sounds like what you have is enough to get you off the smokes once you work out a few wrinkles.

If you burn the coil at 30 watts, you'd have to replace the coil because it's always going to taste burnt after that. The wick is organic cotton, and once it's burnt it's permanently damaged.

It's also very important to prime the coil before first use otherwise it may burn even at low watts - different cause, but same results. For a similar reason don't fire the coil if you are not drawing air over it. The air cools the coil so if you fire it without then it can overheat if you let it go too long. While it may not permanently damage the wick straight away, you get to know how much you can get away with by experience. You'll often see reviewers firing the coil like this during demonstrations but they know exactly how much they can get aways with, and may not care about that coil in any case.

I've read about vaper's tongue, but what I'm saying is that I got almost no flavour from the get-go.
    Yes vapour's tongue normally happens after an intensive vape session, but if you vape on a burning wick it can certainly hasten it in my experience. If you have vaper's tongue you can usually still taste food, but it might be a little weird.

Is it the e-liquid? Hiliq seem to get decent reviews on their product, and like I said, their postage and packaging were awesome.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Everyone is different, but I recommend giving it a little more time (and a new coil). Most of what we think of as the sense of taste is actually your sense of smell. Hold your nose tightly closed and then eat a piece of chocolate. You'll notice that it tastes nothing like you expect (and is a waste of good chocolate).

Try some nose exhales to evaluate the 'flavour' of your eliquid. If it smells like a cat's ring then the coil is probably burnt.

Put a tiny drop of e-liquid on your finger and then taste it. Breath in through your mouth then exhale through your nose - that's kind of what the vapour should taste like (maybe a little different but you get the idea).

It's also possible that a new coil even when correctly used can take a little while to "break in". This is because the cotton may have a natural flavour that can mask or mute the flavour of the liquid. This should be gone after between 5 and 12 puffs, however some people say they find the coil does not vape in for a longer period (one day, one tank, one hour, whatever).

Another issue is if you vape after eating or drinking. Different food can change your perception of the vape, sometimes in a positive way, and sometimes to its detriment. It's not normally a big issue like "no flavour" but it's something to be aware of.

I don't want to just give upon this and then one day go back to cigarettes when I'm under stress.

Maybe my expectations were just too high?
    Yes... and no. Vaping is not exactly like smoking, so you will have an adjustment period. Don't give up, it's just that not everybody has a perfect experience straight off (unfortunately) but most people get the point where they enjoy vaping far more than they ever enjoyed smoking. I will say that by buying and adjustable device instead of the one of the simple beginners kits, you've added some complexity and ways to go wrong. Nothing wrong with that, you've just got to be more careful about what settings you use. Start very low with a new coil (like 8 watts) and observe there probably won't be much vapour produced. It should work fairly silently too. If there is any flavour it will not be (can't be) burnt.

Increase the power in 1 watt increments and you'll notice that the vapour production starts to increase, and the coil itself may start to make a hissing noise. This probably means that you are getting fairly close to the ideal temperature. The coil can make a hissing noise and even a bit of a crackle, but don't go much higher than this until you understand what it tastes like at that temperature. High temperatures can indeed kill most of the flavour.

I'll say it again too - we are all different. I've heard of vapers who noticed no decreased taste from smoking, while others get dramatic results after only a few weeks or even days, and doesn't seem to matter how much you smoked. Give it time and don't rush things. Work on satisfying your nicotine cravings first. Flavour is the hardest thing to get right for most people. It took me six months to find a flavour I could live with, and at least a year before my sense of taste came back completely. It's not that the intensity of the food got greater - more that the subtleties of the food were lost on me until I'd been vaping for a few months. The same goes for the flavour of the vape - I really couldn't judge what was good for a very long time.

Nose exhales should also give a better nicotine hit as well as getting more "flavour", and that can really help the transition from smoking to vaping.

I get a bit of a scratchy throat when I'm vaping, but I read that's pretty normal, and try to drink a fair bit of water when I vape - hey, at very least I'm better hydrated than I used to be!
    Yes, VG and PG are hygroscopic, which means that they absorb moisture from your throat, lungs, and nose. Especially your tongue and throat. This is where vaper's tongue and sore throats come in. It's vitally important to drink frequently, especially which you are adjusting. Something that cleans the pallet is good too - water, fruit juice, ginger beer... whatever you like. Some things will make your vape taste better, other's will not - see the previous point about this. Try different things to see what works for you.

I'm currently steeping the El-Toro sample pack from House Of Liquid, and I'm hoping that might do the trick.
    I'd actually advise you to be careful about steeping until you know how it affects the liquid. Always vape the liquid first, otherwise you won't know if steeping has improved it or ruined it. I only recommend you leave it 12 to 24 hours after adding the nicotine to give it a chance to blend properly.

Most tobaccos, creams, and custards improve with steeping and even some oxidation. I don't recommend that you let these breath for more than few minutes at a time however.

A lot of fruits do not improve with steeping and can even be destroyed by oxidation or a steep that is too long.

I think far too much emphasis is put on steeping for the beginning vaper. The effects are usually quite subtle and hard to detect when you start out, and you need to find out if the liquid actually needs steeping first.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 29-05-17 at 05:03 PM.
    gert, cpvaps, Cat and 2 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Yuz
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    the wattage is set to 28 as the shop suggested
    Why not 26 or 31? How did they come up with that figure? Besides, iStick's "28W" setting might have +/- who knows what.

Thanks for the advice, Fabricator4, I'll definitely be taking that on board.

I think one of the coolest things about vaping is that there is the community here, in a way that never existed for smokers (at least in my experience, anyway).

Forums like this, where people help each other are going to make my transition away from cigarettes a lot easier.
    cpvaps and rockmoose like this.

Hey guys I'm just getting into vaping, what is the best kit to buy? I am trying to quit smoking so I can live a healthier lifestyle and hopefully save some money

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by levis View Post
    Hey guys I'm just getting into vaping, what is the best kit to buy? I am trying to quit smoking so I can live a healthier lifestyle and hopefully save some money
    Levis where are you located and we can help you find your local vape shop
    gtadmin and stylemessiah like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Can i suggest our new people, ecole, RedBenny and levis please add your location to your profile

This has the following benefits:

When asking for advice about anything, your location may help members:

* point you to your closest bricks and mortars store (in states that allow them)
    * offer to help by meeting if theyre close and letting you try some gear and share some knowledge on using yours
    * possibly send you some gear to try or possibly keep (known as a PIF - Pay It Forward)
    * point you to a vape meet - they happen occasionally, and you'll get up close and wide amounts of knowledge in the flesh

Its also a requirement if you wish to buy or sell something on our classifieds

To add your location to your profile:

Via web browser -

* Click the Settings link at the top right of the page
    * Click Edit Profile in the mid lower left frame of the following page
    * Scroll to almost the bottom of the following page and add your location in the Location box and click the Save Changes button

Via Tapatalk on mobile -

Follow the recommendations here:

Location in profile!

Takes less than a couple of minutes, and the benefits are many
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 23-06-17 at 07:44 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 14/08/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast