Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Another newbie - struggling a bit getting off the 'analogues'

Another newbie - struggling a bit getting off the 'analogues'

Hello all,

I am new to vaping, but not new to forums, so I know what it's like joining a new one. Same old questions, so I will hugely appreciate the effort anyone puts in to help. ( I know I try to help of the other forums I am a veteran of...)

I first tried electronic cigarettes with a small cigarette look-a-like in a chemist/drug store in the US last year. About the size of a regular king size fag and absolutely horrible. Revolting taste, very little vapour and a throat hit like a mule in all the wrong ways. I am a 30-year smoker, probably 30-odd a day and it had me coughing in an instant. I am really now a pipe smoker, but spent most of those 30 years on coffin nails. If I smoke durries it's Pall Mall Blue.

About a week ago I bought the Halo E-Cigarette to try again. Not sure if we can post links in this forum, so I won't, but they are available in Oz in 0 nic but I of course bought the nic version from overseas. It's another cig-a-like (i.e not their tank version) but bigger . A huge improvement and much better taste. The throat hit is satisfying, but still not enough vapour. I am going OK on it, but cannot quite get off the tobacco. I am on the 1.8% cartos. In analogue cigs-per-day terms I am probably down to 5-6, which is a huge improvement but I can't see it working long term. Even if I try the the 2.4% cartos, I still feel like a 'real' smoke a few times a day.

I put this down to my pipe habit. I like huge clouds of tasty 'smoke'.

Now having done some forum browsing and internet research I see I have made the same mistakes everyone else does when they start and spent too much on poor products. I have figured out that I like the cartomizer approach over a three part method though.

I have ordered a bunch of kit from VapeKing, including an Ego-T passthrough battery and Boge cartomizers. I also have a 510 battery on the way for those out-and-about moments. I also ordered a Go-Go starter kit and a spare 5-pack of the monster cartos, which looks like a great bit of technology - if pretty huge. Has anyone tried it? Bearing in mind that I like 'volume' it seems to tick all the boxes.

It should all arrive in the next day or so. Of course the nic from China is going to take a bit longer, so I am stuck with my Halo for the time being...

NB. I have discovered that Halo disposable cartos can be refilled very simply, BTW. So if anyone is throwing them out when they run out, don't. The end cap is easy to get off and they seem just as refillable as a regular cartomizer.

Supreme Overlord of these Realms
    Hi and Welcome to AussieVapers!

You have ordered some great starting gear. Personally I am not a fan of the eGo tanks themselves (not quite my thing) but the batteries for a starter are a really good choice and compatible with loads of accessories. Did you get LR cartomisers? They pick a bit more of a punch over the SR and might be good to try.

The other really important thing is juice, I might have missed it but do you have some good tasting juice here already or coming in? Im sure many members can point you to all the right places to get something yummy!

Anyhow dont stress, you have already made it past the hard part! Your on the way and it can only get better from here. If you need any more detailed answers I will do my best!

Cheers,
    Jato

Jato - thanks for the quick reply.

I have several tobacco-flavoured juices incoming from VapeKing, all doubled, a stash (100ml) of 36 mg unflavoured nic and a load of tobacco nic juices on the way from HG in China. I have since checked out the range available at Juicewhore and and there is plenty to try. I suspect I will settle on one flavour, but I am amazed by how many ex-smokers are going for completely non-tobacco flavours. Maybe that will develop later?

I have 10 LR Boge cartos, 10 SR Boge cartos and 5 extra Go-Go cartos on the way. I also have a Go-Go to 510 converter, which I think will mean I can use the big Go-Go cartos on an Ego battery but not the other way around.

As far as i can tell, importing nic for personal use is OK?

Supreme Overlord of these Realms
    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Jato - thanks for the quick reply.

I have several tobacco-flavoured juices incoming from VapeKing, all doubled, a stash (100ml) of 36 mg unflavoured nic and a load of tobacco nic juices on the way from HG in China. I have since checked out the range available at Juicewhore and and there is plenty to try. I suspect I will settle on one flavour, but I am amazed by how many ex-smokers are going for completely non-tobacco flavours. Maybe that will develop later?
    Heh, yeah a lot of us started on tobacco. The thought that since you enjoyed smoking then we must prefer tobacco flavors right? It fades quickly Though I still enjoy the odd tobacco juice from time to time when drinking.

I have 10 LR Boge cartos, 10 SR Boge cartos and 5 extra Go-Go cartos on the way. I also have a Go-Go to 510 converter, which I think will mean I can use the big Go-Go cartos on an Ego battery but not the other way around.
    Ill try to field this one. I would think if it was GO-GO to 510 then it would allow you to put 510 gear on the GO GO? I could be wrong, im only partially familiar with the GO GO I am afraid.

As far as i can tell, importing nic for personal use is OK?
    That is the current status it appears yes. Its very rare to hear of issues if any at all. Ive been importing for two years without issue as have many of us here.

AVF Regular
    If you want huge clouds of vapour look into adding vg into your mix makes so much diffrence. Just remember not to use the lr cartos on the 510 batt (it will kill them as it draws to much power). If you do like the tank idea 510 tanks work well on a ego batt. I dont think I could have quit using prefilled carts, when you get your nic you can adjust the mg to your needs. I vape at 25mg and used to smoke 15-20 cigs a day. I tried a few prefilled options when I started but kept smoking cigs aswell, the day my ego-t turned up and I used it I gave away the rest of my pack and havent looked back (other then when I smoked for a week when I ran out and my order didnt turn up). Best advice I can give you is stock up on nic. Vaping is so much eaiser then any nrt product there is (I have tried them all). Good luck

AVF Regular
    i started with dripping DeKang Red USA Mix (18mg, 40 PG 60 VG) on an 801 LR atomiser + eGo batt which gave me plenty clouds and didn't taste very far from durries. didn't get to finish it - bottle was halfway when i moved onto another juice which was DeKang Apple (18mg, 60 PG 40 VG) on a 510 atomiser. this combination gave me plenty of flavour and has become my basis for flavours i tried later. i still try flavours on a debridged and dewicked 510 atomiser as the juice hits the coil directly, therefore, flavour (and throat hit if the juice has nic) is instantaneous and also fades away quickly meaning i can try another flavour.

later on, i bought (and am still buying) various atomisers, cartomisers, clearomisers just so i could try them out and see if i can find a better setup/configuration. for now, i've settled on Boge 510D LR cartomisers (Banana Nut Bread, 18mg 60/40 ejuice) for my eGo batt when i'm at work and either a Vision Stone II tank for when i can't be bothered dripping or unable to drip when in front of the PC or telly. otherwise when i can drip, my favourite setup is the i06 LR at 3.3-3.5V on a wongtube (a variable voltage PV knock-off of the Lavatube from china). for when i'm feeling like i want more flavour, vapour and throat hit, i use a Kanger SR Horizontal Coil on the wongtube at 4.2V - probably my favourite non-all day vape setup at the moment.

anyway, the way i look at it, here are some solutions for your dilemmas:
    if you want more vapour - go for a higher VG mix than what you have now and/or you can take multiple draws (fill your mouth with 2+ draws/tokes before inhaling)
    more nicotine absorption - try exhaling the vapour through your nostrils - this absorbs the nic more efficiently; probably help with the withdrawal? or vape at higher strength nicotine (i smoked 12mg durries and find 18mg juice sufficient)
    flavours - there's plenty to try out there! VK4 has become my main staple for tobacco-like vaping...but banana nut bread is the current favourite. you'll find your groove i'm sure and then you'll probably want to find another heh. it's a viciously delicious cycle.

Wow. What a welcome, thank you.

So if I can summarise that (shoot me down if I'm wrong):

VG will give me more vapour volume than PG. ( I didn't know that)
    Do not use the LR cartos on the 510 battery.
    But LR on the EGo battery is OK?
    I am underestimating my nic needs. (OK you guys didn't say that, but from your own histories I should be starting at 2.4% minimum)
    Exhale through my nose - good point.
    Flavours - I'll get to that later.

sounds about right, 510 batts will take a boge LR so far as I am aware, they are usually 2.2Ω or so, should be fine, battery life will be reduced but it shouldn't damage anything so far as I am aware .. not used a 510 for a long time, someone else may chime in with info.
    I wouldn't be going under 2Ω with a 510 personally. An ego will run down to 1.5 or so.
    Nic can always be diluted with a trip to a supermarket for VG or by using more flavour or PG. Going up is of course impossible. So in general apart from the very light smokers 18 to 24mg is a good starting point, grab some 36 or even 48mg unflavoured as well if they have it, it can easily be dropped to 18 or 24 or lower with an order from a local supplier.
    You will likely find 24 may also get you coughing at the start, maybe even throat irritation, but less puffs of 24mg is far more effective on kicking the durrys than vaping 10 times the amount at 12mg. Its all about getting some satisfaction quickly .. it can take a long time at the lower nic levels.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    VG will give me more vapour volume than PG. ( I didn't know that)
    VG - more vapour, less throat hit, less flavour, thick and can clog your attys; PG - less vapour, more throat hit, more flavour
    for mixing your own stuff, there's plenty of e-juice calculators around. also, for when you buy nicotine - pick the base that you'll want more percentage of (e.g. i like 60PG/40VG, so i choose 100% PG nicotine when purchasing). if it's 50/50 doesn't matter then.

Do not use the LR cartos on the 510 battery.
    But LR on the EGo battery is OK?
    it was only mentioned earlier because a 510 battery does not hold that much charge (180-280mAh?) as compared to an eGo battery (650mAh-1100mAh?). the lower the resistance of the vapourising component (atty/carto/clearo/etc), the more power it will draw from the battery. on the upside, it will give you more watts = great vapes! see Stoney's post - electrical theory behind vaping.

I am underestimating my nic needs. (OK you guys didn't say that, but from your own histories I should be starting at 2.4% minimum)
    Exhale through my nose - good point.
    24mg seems like a good place as any to start. some have the final goal of totally abstaining from nicotine. the plan is to start on the nicotine strength where they feel comfortable vaping without craving for durries (i.e. satisfying the body's need for nicotine) then gradually lower that. 24mg -> 18mg -> 12mg -> 6mg -> until it's just the flavouring, pg and vg that they're vaping.

Flavours - I'll get to that later.
    i had a hard time choosing as there are a TON of flavours to choose from! if i could go back to the point where i was choosing my first flavours for my own mix, i'd select the most popular flavours. but here's a shortlist:
    tobacco flavours: Boba's Bounty, Gorilla Juice, Raf-alicious, Del's Ultimate Pipe, DK-TAB, RY4, VK4, Desert Ship, Fluecured Tobacco...
    drinks/beverages: Snowy Mountain Dew, Espresso or Italian Espresso, Peach Tea, Chai Tea...
    desserts/sweets: Pimps Butterscotch, Baked Apple Tart, Strawberry Tart, Cake Batter, Banana Nut Bread, Pixie Dust, Spliced Lime, Strawberry Avalanche, Creme Caramel...
    fruits: Melancholy, Watermelon, Grape, Double Apple Hookah, Raspberry Freeze, Witch Apple...
    menthol: Spearmint, Menthol, Cauldron Mint, Peppermint...

CCC
    Hi quoll, congratulations on deciding to quit smoking, it's probably the hardest thing any of us have had to do, but vaping does make it that little bit easier. I also started my journey on the cig-a-like PV, and moved up to bigger better much more satisfying. I am pretty confident that you will see the potential with the set-ups you have coming, but i also get the feeling you will end up with something much larger in the end like a Lava tube or a Provari, but for now just concentrate on what you have/like/want.

A good place to start with your juice is 50%pg and 50%vg, then you can adjust up or down according to your preferances with flavour VS vapour. Also when you do start vaping full time and not having cigarettes, your tastebuds will start doing things that you didn't expect, and you may need something other than tobacco flavours to get you through that patch, it's about 2 weeks generally. Most people start with fruit flavours and mint flavours.

HealthCabin has a great range of very large cartomizers that will fit on your eGo batteries if you find you like the convienience of having the large cartomizers on your Go-Go.

Anyway, don't feel silly or shy if you have any questions, the people on this forum are so very helpful and love helping out the new guys, you will be a pro soon enough and i'm sure you will pay it forward in the very near future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast