Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: New boy, still smoking..... :-(

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    So if a coil only lasts a matter of days, what's the go with the Joyetech eRoll thingies et al which are the size of a tailor-made, hold bugger all charge and even less juice, and no mention (that I recall) of the coil needing to be replaced?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    So if a coil only lasts a matter of days, what's the go with the Joyetech eRoll thingies et al which are the size of a tailor-made, hold bugger all charge and even less juice, and no mention (that I recall) of the coil needing to be replaced?
    Most of the current cigalike models have a cartridge we call a cartomiser. It combines a polyfill material and the coil. The liquid is in the polyfill material, maybe only 1ml in the normal size ones. The carto on a cigalike is the bit that looks like the cigarette filter. The original idea was to replace the carto when you liquid was used up, but they are very easy to refill and you can usually get blank ones that you can put your own liquid in. The carto was the standard device for almost the first decade of vaping. They could be punched with holes and put in a tank for much greater capacity.

Some people still like their cartomisers today, but they are becoming less common because people are starting with other devices. The cartridge that goes in the endura T18/22 is very similar to the old carto design, just with more holes, better wicking, and a vertical coil.
    81cep and FenceFurniture like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF emergency contact : avf_contact_point@yahoo.com
    This email will auto-respond with the latest information if the AVF forum is no longer contactable.
    Send a test message now to make sure it's in your address book or sent messages.
    Received emails and addresses will be deleted the same day. Include the word "scream" in the subject if you want me to read your message. The Yahoo responder may only send 1 or 2 response messages per day.

Super Moderator
    The idea with the eRoll is that you use relatively high strength nicotine in the cartridge, you drag on it like a cigarette, and after the 10 or so drags you put it back in the PCC to be recharged (only takes ~15mins) ready for you next "ciggie" break. The coils are meant to be changed, they are about $25 for 5 from memory.

Fab, these don't use a carto, they're more like an eGo-T
    Started vaping 28th October 2011

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

I see, thanks for that explanation.

My idea with this whole routine is to wean down the nic content on a very gentle slope, just the same as I have done with other medications. What is usually recommended with those is to cut in half for a week, and then the same again - doesn't work properly, and people end up spinning out. I used to shave 10% off with a nail file for a 5-7 days, then another 10% etc etc, and it worked like a charm with no withdrawal symptoms. I'm talking about the dreaded and so-called anti-depressants here.

As far as I can see nicotine is at the very least as addictive as ADs are, so a gentle weaning should be in order, and should work. Possibly in 5% decrements for two weeks at a time.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Fab, these don't use a carto, they're more like an eGo-T
    My bad. They are an even older design

FenceFurniture - most of the cigalikes DO use something like a cartomiser, but as gtadmin said, the eroll has the juice and atomiser components separated.
    gtadmin likes this.

This email will auto-respond with the latest information if the AVF forum is no longer contactable.
    Send a test message now to make sure it's in your address book or sent messages.
    Received emails and addresses will be deleted the same day. Include the word "scream" in the subject if you want me to read your message. The Yahoo responder may only send 1 or 2 response messages per day.

AVF Regular
    Just remember the nicotine isn't the devil. It's in the same family as caffeine,.
    Ducky has put you on a winning path.
    If you like menthol, Heisenberg by Vapoureyes is a winner by a mile. Not for me I prefer fruit menthols like Thug Juice by Mt Baker Vapour.
    There is a 15% off code for hiliq in their thread for us Aussies, and their juice is really great!

AVF Regular
    FF, you'll definately have to mix your own doublers if you want to do a gradual decrease like that, as the standard strengths go: 36mg, 24mg, 18mg, 12mg, 8mg, 6mg, 3mg. It's a pretty big and noticeable jump between levels! Also, you don't need to rush it - once you have stopped smoking and have been vaping instead for 2-3 weeks you'll notice you cough/wheeze vanishing, and apparently after ~3 months you notice more improvements in your health (I'm not there yet). Regardless, basing your reductions around 'bottles' rather than 'weeks' is a simpler way to do it, although not as structured!!

BTW, I'm a lady, not a gent
    gtadmin and FenceFurniture like this.

Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    BTW, I'm a lady, not a gent
    I did think your manners were impeccable! My apologies for that - I'm usually very careful to make sure i know who I am addressing first. it's also a carry over from the woodwork forum where unfortunately the ratio of M:F is about 1000:1, so it's a pretty safe bet.

Mea culpa.
    Gresh11 and muscovyduckling like this.

AVF Regular
    I see, thanks for that explanation.

My idea with this whole routine is to wean down the nic content on a very gentle slope, just the same as I have done with other medications. What is usually recommended with those is to cut in half for a week, and then the same again - doesn't work properly, and people end up spinning out. I used to shave 10% off with a nail file for a 5-7 days, then another 10% etc etc, and it worked like a charm with no withdrawal symptoms. I'm talking about the dreaded and so-called anti-depressants here.

As far as I can see nicotine is at the very least as addictive as ADs are, so a gentle weaning should be in order, and should work. Possibly in 5% decrements for two weeks at a time.
    10% drop each time is workable, but do it over a longer period, after all there's no real problem with nicotine. I started off with 18mg/ml+ and dropped it in 2mg/ml increments until I got down to 12mg/ml. I then got concerned that I wasn't able to vape much at work and needed good hit when I could vape so started mixing at 18mg/ml again. I discovered I liked nicotine at this level very much and stayed at that level for over a year. I'm currently down to 10mg/ml and I think I'll leave it there for a little while.

The three month period is critical in giving up smoking. There's more in tobacco that you are addicted to than you know about or that they tell you about. As vapers we learn far more about tobacco addiction than all the doctors and scientists who have never been there, because vaping replaces ALL of the stuff in cigarettes EXCEPT for the other alkaloids and a range of other nasty chemicals. I recommend you find your ideal nicotine level, and leave it there for at least three months. Wean yourself off the other stuff before you start messing with the nicotine. You will know when the time is right to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Also, you don't need to rush it - once you have stopped smoking and have been vaping instead for 2-3 weeks you'll notice you cough/wheeze vanishing, and apparently after ~3 months you notice more improvements in your health (I'm not there yet). Regardless, basing your reductions around 'bottles' rather than 'weeks' is a simpler way to do it, although not as structured!!
    Yes, all you've said there makes perfect sense.

The funny thing is that even after smoking for most of my adult life (I stopped for 12 years) I can still blow a peak flow meter off the scale (literally - did it two weeks ago). Doesn't mean it's not killing me in a 100 other ways though.....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast