Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: New boy, still smoking..... :-(

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

New boy, still smoking..... :-(

G'day

I ended up here through a bit of cross-pollination: studiovape was over at the woodwork forums, which is my usual haunt, and he was looking for some ideas on timber finishing. One thing leads to another etc.

So, here I am at a matter of hours away from 60, and still smoking. Current habit:
    about 15-18 rollies per day (with filter)
    tobacco of choice is Colt Menthol - quite strong menthol flavour, but no idea of tobacco strength, thanks to the nanny state. I assume medium strength.

I've read some of the reviews here:
    https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/electronic-cigarettes/

and it's starting to get confusing. Not all those products will be available in Oz either.

As I understand it, juice with nicotine can't be sold in Oz, but the devices can - is that still correct?

My partner bought me an eRoll a year or so ago. Seemed to work reasonably ok, but the vapour wasn't thick enough. Three days later i was climbing up the walls, and that's when she told me there was no nic in the juice.

Ok, back to fags.

eRoll was good for the visual cues (white thing between fingers), but I was a little disappointed that it didn't reduce in length as I vaped on....

I'm sure this is the habit for many/most, but one of the very important cues for me with smoking is taking a break from what I am doing at the time. This will often involve sitting down to think a particular topic/process/task through. Always smoke outside, except in the shed, and I think it wise to keep the same routine when I switch to vaping.

So, where do you think I should I start?

Regards
    FF
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hi FF,

By signing up here i'd say your more than half way to quiting and it sounds like you have basic idea of how e cigs work.

You are correct you can't buy e liquid from an Aussie vendor with nicotine in it but you can buy e liquid with nic from an overseas vendor and have it shipped to your house. Also you can order nicotine base from overseas and then just add the nic to liquids you buy here in Aus.

As you like menthol a chat/PM to ChrissCross might be the go.

Welcome to AVF.

AVF Regular
    You may want to check out this youtube video on a new entry level device that's been getting good wraps.

AVF Regular
    Hey fence

Ok.. My advice would be get yourself aspire nautilus mini with an istick 40 battery or and egrip Oled or aspire Plato. The nautilus Combe allow you to have a seperate tank where as the Plato and egrip are easy all in one packages.. These are great for smokers and have converted nearly all my mates to one or the other. Plato option buy a spare battery and a charger too, can be a bit pricier but awesome little unit.

As for juice, I think your pretty lucky that you smoke menthol. You can get pretty close to menthol flavours. I prefer to mix my own which you will need Which isn't as hard as people think. You need to buy base nicotine from overseas and I would suggest buying 36-48mg as it just easier to mix.. 250 ml- 1litre base bottles aren't that expensive. Here's a link
    Unflavored 3-48mg/mL Nicotine Base 250ML - DIY E-Liquid Base 3-200mg/ml - DIY - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale
    Then you can mix your own and play around a little till you find something you like. I order my base in vg but other order in pg.. Oh lasts longer I believe. As for mixing ejuice 60 pg/40vg or 50/50 is a good place to start. Now this guy looks a bit strange but he does explain it well not like some "use on 100%vg get 200mg nicotine base for beginners" cloud blowin champions... You want to quit smoking not blow bloody clouds..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SrGhAhzftqQ

Feel free to pm me mate if you need any help or advice as I'm more than happy to help some quit the smokes. Hope this helps

AVF Regular
    What worked for me was an Istick Eleaf tc 40 kit with gs tank package, has a spare coil but u might want to grab a 5 pack when u order it. Cost me $50 bucks and gs tank gives the same feeling as drawing on a cigarette.. Put it into temp control with the press of a button and u cant burn anything out.. It's idiot proof and has battery built in so plug and play������
    You can get them from fasttech and wait 3 weeks or buy elsewhere and pay $20 more but get asap.. Obviously nicotine can't be bought in Australia. But a good supplier who is part of this forum is nicoticket... He will help u with what juice to put in it and I can vouch that they don't taste like burnt mounds tires that fasttech sells..

Everyone here will help you out... Good luck mate, it will work and has done fore many, I tried everything before I got steered into this
    Last edited by 81cep; 15-04-16 at 03:16 PM.
    seasonnoob likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hello! Welcome As the others said, if you're here you're halfway to quitting already, so we'll done.

Ok, in terms of which devices and/or tanks to get, you have a few options. My top picks for smokers:

-The Innokin Endura T18 (pen shape) or T22 (box shape - longer battery life and bigger tank, but otherwise the same).
    -The Joyetech eGo AIO (pen shape with a built in tank)
    -The Aspire Nautilus Mini tank, with something like an eLeaf iStick 20w, 30w or 40w mod(battery).

It is best to have TWO sets, so that you're not caught high and dry if the battery goes flat or if you smash the glass in the tank. I personally have all of these devices (well, not the T22, but Ingrid assures me it's essentially the same as the T18) and since you're from the woodworking forum (and therefore a tinkerer by nature) I'm confident you would do very well with any of those combos listed.

The eGo AIO is the cheapest, and can be had for ~$28 each. It is my least favourite (only by a smidge) because it's the least versatile/flexible (the tank is built into the mod, so can't be swapped out for another tank), but if $$$ is a concern it's a very good buy, and you could buy two of them (recommended) for about the same price as an iStick mod (battery only)or an Innokin T22 mod/tank kit. The T18 can be had for $35 each. The T22 is around $50. The iStick is also around $50, but you'll need to buy the Nautilus mini tank separately for $30, so that combo is the most expensive at around $80. These are all local prices.

Nicotine can't be purchased in Australia, but you can buy it from NZ, USA, China or the UK (and lots of other countries besides). What I did (and what I would recommend) is to buy a couple of 30ml bottles of ejuice with nicotine already mixed in online from somewhere like The Vape Shop NZ or SoulBlu or wherever (go for 18mg nicotine strength), and also buy a 250ml bottle of plain nicotine base with that order. This will take about 4 days to arrive. That way, you can start vaping right away on the premixed juices, and in future (or if you don't like the flavours you bought) you can buy Australian ejuice 'doublers' and some plain VG and/or PG from somewhere like House of Vape or VapourEyes (Aussie companies) and add your own nicotine to their no-Nic juices. You could even order some doublers and PG/VG when you order your devices/tanks and have them at home, ready to go, for when your nicotine and premixed juices arrive from overseas.

We are always happy to answer any questions and help you out however we can, so don't be shy!
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 15-04-16 at 03:08 PM.

AVF Regular
    PS: sadly, there are a few rip-off merchants operating in Oz, so when it comes time for you to buy your chosen device/s, it doesn't hurt to check the website VapeAssist to see what these devices are going for at other Australian shops...or when you decide what you want to buy, search on vape assist to find a vendor with a reasonable price.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 81cep View Post
    What worked for me was an Istick Eleaf tc 40 kit with gs tank package, has a spare coil but u might want to grab a 5 pack when u order it. Cost me $50 bucks and gs tank gives the same feeling as drawing on a cigarette.. Put it into temp control with the press of a button and u cant burn anything out.. It's idiot proof and has battery built in so plug and play������
    You can get them from fasttech and wait 3 weeks or buy elsewhere and pay $20 more but get asap.. Obviously nicotine can't be bought in Australia. But a good supplier who is part of this forum is nicoticket... He will help u with what juice to put in it and I can vouch that they don't taste like burnt mounds tires that fasttech sells..

Everyone here will help you out... Good luck mate, it will work and has done fore many, I tried everything before I got steered into this

If you utube "indoor smokers" he does a good review on the package, just gotta put up with his yanky rambling a bit...
    Holmesy likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Hello! Welcome As the others said, if you're here you're halfway to quitting already, so we'll done.

Ok, in terms of which devices and/or tanks to get, you have a few options. My top picks for smokers:

-The Innokin Endura T18 (pen shape) or T22 (box shape - longer battery life and bigger tank, but otherwise the same).
    -The Joyetech eGo AIO (pen shape with a built in tank)
    -The Aspire Nautilus Mini tank, with something like an eLeaf iStick 20w, 30w or 40w mod(battery).

It is best to have TWO sets, so that you're not caught high and dry if the battery goes flat or if you smash the glass in the tank. I personally have all of these devices (well, not the T22, but Ingrid assures me it's essentially the same as the T18) and since you're from the woodworking forum (and therefore a tinkerer by nature) I'm confident you would do very well with any of those combos listed.

The eGo AIO is the cheapest, and can be had for ~$28 each. It is my least favourite (only by a smidge) because it's the least versatile/flexible (the tank is built into the mod, so can't be swapped out for another tank), but if $$$ is a concern it's a very good buy, and you could buy two of them (recommended) for about the same price as an iStick mod (battery only)or an Innokin T22 mod/tank kit. The T18 can be had for $35 each. The T22 is around $50. The iStick is also around $50, but you'll need to buy the Nautilus mini tank separately for $30, so that combo is the most expensive at around $80. These are all local prices.

Nicotine can't be purchased in Australia, but you can buy it from NZ, USA, China or the UK (and lots of other countries besides). What I did (and what I would recommend) is to buy a couple of 30ml bottles of ejuice with nicotine already mixed in online from somewhere like The Vape Shop NZ or SoulBlu or wherever (go for 18mg nicotine strength), and also buy a 250ml bottle of plain nicotine base with that order. This will take about 4 days to arrive. That way, you can start vaping right away on the premixed juices, and in future (or if you don't like the flavours you bought) you can buy Australian ejuice 'doublers' and some plain VG and/or PG from somewhere like House of Vape or VapourEyes (Aussie companies) and add your own nicotine to their no-Nic juices. You could even order some doublers and PG/VG when you order your devices/tanks and have them at home, ready to go, for when your nicotine and premixed juices arrive from overseas.

We are always happy to answer any questions and help you out however we can, so don't be shy!
    Excellent advice ducky!!! The only thing that I would suggest is to get a higher strength nicotine base because it will be more versatile. When I started vaping I went for 36mg juice and my vape virtually never left my hand. Granted the device used was no where as efficient as what I am using now, but I DIY my ADV(All Day Vape) juice and I make it at 30mg to this day. Some vapers require more of a nic hit than others. For me I require a concentrated and dense mini cloud, better than a smoke for sure!!! I too, like FenceFurniture was a rollies smoker but prolly 20-25 champion ruby rollies a day.

100mg nic base is both more versatile and cheaper in the long run. Juice calculators make conversions easy plus AVF's helping hands will guide a newb to success.

Welcome FF, live long and prosper!!!
    Last edited by Gresh11; 15-04-16 at 04:47 PM.
    muscovyduckling likes this.
    LIVE AND LET VAPE
    POWER TO THE P.V.
    OFF THE SMOKES FOREVER

AVF Regular
    You've had great advice, I agree all of the suggestions are good. The Endura T18 (or T22 if you want a box) would be great if you want something very simple to start off with. The T18 is bigger than a cigalike but once you get over that it's ideal for a starter who wants something that will work.

Edit: the battery capacity in the T22 is twice that of the T18, so would be a better choice if you want something that can go all day. Either way it's important to have some kind of backup if your main device is flat or gets lost or broken so buy two: one of each, or two T18s, whatever you think will work for you.

Phil Busardo did a great review of the T18 in a movie aimed at smokers who want to know how to start:

I was also a rollie smoker (Drum) and I used to kid myself that a 50g pouch lasted me a week (it never did) so I was smoking at least 20 racehorses a day. I'd been trying to give up ever since my Dad died of a smoking related heart attack 15 years earlier and I gave up the very minute my own first kit arrived. Haven't had a smoke since.

Edit: Kidding myself again. I sat down and worked out when Dad died (he was only 56) of his second heart attack. 24 years was how long I was trying to give up. Gum, patches, Champix, cold turkey the whole works. Cold Turkey was the only option available to him and you can see how well that worked.

Congrats for taking the first step and there's a lot of great people here who will help you along the way, no matter how rocky it gets. Three days is nothing when you are vaping. You'll walk it in, and have fun doing it. ;-)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 15-04-16 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Endura T18/22 battery
    gtadmin, disley, axx and 1 others like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF emergency contact : avf_contact_point@yahoo.com
    This email will auto-respond with the latest information if the AVF forum is no longer contactable.
    Send a test message now to make sure it's in your address book or sent messages.
    Received emails and addresses will be deleted the same day. Include the word "scream" in the subject if you want me to read your message. The Yahoo responder may only send 1 or 2 response messages per day.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast