Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Newbie problem with initial setup

AVF Regular

Newbie problem with initial setup

hello all. just have a problem with a recent recruit:

Background
    newbie in late 40's, smoker for nearly (guesstimate) 30 years, brand - winnie blues (12mg tar iirc), averaging a packet a day.
    allergic to pepper.
    has a 510 starter kit but i gave newbie some cartos/clearos and a 510 atty+drip tip.
    first draw using a carto with VK4 (60/40, 18mg) was terrible - a 30-second coughing fit.
    complains of too much throat hit or something to that effect pertaining to the throat.
    because of this, newbie is wary but is still using it from time to time (or so newbie claims).

Problem
    would VK4 be the problem?
    to me, it now seems to have a slight peppery smell and taste but can't confirm (still getting used to these then-lost and now newly-found tastebuds). i wanted to stick to tobacco flavours for newbie - i have some tobacco classique, dk-tab, desert ship and fluecured. which one do you think from my other tobacco flavours doesn't have a peppery smell/taste?

would the mixture of 60% PG/40% VG, 18mg be the problem?
    as an ex-12mg smoker, i find 18mg just right, 12mg okay-ish as a chain-vape, and 6mg as piss weak. i was thinking of mixing up one of these two to address the TH issue:
    a. 100% VG at 12mg (a lot less TH, right? but less nic too, so may not have the 'impact' needed)
    b. 100% VG at 24mg (i would imagine it's less TH than original mix of 60/40 18mg because there's no PG but wouldn't more nic also give TH?)

edit: forgot to mention, all my nic is in PG, so anything i mix will still have PG in it. i'll eliminate the 'PG allergy' solution (thanks Delco) last as nic orders take time to get here

any suggestions before i (also a newbie lol) go forward with anything?
    Last edited by AddictRick; 23-02-12 at 02:48 AM.

AVF Regular
    Could be the vk4, has the newbie tried a diff flavour. Pg allergy should have showen itself well before vaping with common foods. Alot of the th comes from the nic mg aswell. I coughed heaps when I started (24mg) and felt like my throat was burning but after a day I got used to it. My sister who smokes way too much cant stand vaping, says it hurts to much and she coughs every time she tries. Try something like strawberry which is smooth at 12mg
    AddictRick likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Delco View Post
    Could be the vk4, has the newbie tried a diff flavour. Pg allergy should have showen itself well before vaping with common foods. Alot of the th comes from the nic mg aswell. I coughed heaps when I started (24mg) and felt like my throat was burning but after a day I got used to it. My sister who smokes way too much cant stand vaping, says it hurts to much and she coughs every time she tries. Try something like strawberry which is smooth at 12mg
    i was hoping to stick with tobacco flavours to ease the transition? i'll mix up a fruity ejuice too though, see if that works.
    about your sister, is she vaping now or still on durries? mainly just wanted to know what ejuice, strength and ratio she's tried that made her cough. looking for any sort of lead here.
    i forgot to mention and so unfortunate that all my nic is in PG. i'll still use it and if the problem persists, i'll go ahead and buy VG nic lickety split. i'll edit the first post to reflect this.

AVF Regular
    I've been using DK-Wintsen 18mg diluted down to 12mg 80/20 for the past 6mths (just incressed to 16mg the passed week) as a pretty much all day work vape,
    Most ppl that try it say that tastes just like a ciggy but nicer
    AddictRick likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieIsMe View Post
    I've been using DK-Wintsen 18mg diluted down to 12mg 80/20 for the past 6mths (just incressed to 16mg the passed week) as a pretty much all day work vape,
    Most ppl that try it say that tastes just like a ciggy but nicer
    i'll grab some of that with this VG nic order, see if it will help. for now, i'm stuck with what i have and will have to make do until then. thanks OzzieIsMe.

I would suggest halving the nic amount in the e-juice at the very least. My mother is making the transition in recent days and had trouble with 11mg juice after 50+ years of smoking. I smoked Marlboro reds for over 30 years and found 18mg nic juice to be way too strong for me. Almost all of the throat hit comes from the nicotine content of the juice, though certain attys/cartos can increase/decrease that effect. Personally, I've dropped my nic level twice since I started and am as satisfied as ever. I'll never go back!

I found that I prefer a much softer throat hit, so have been leaning towards VG juices of late, however they can wick slowly in some devices. I've settled at an even 50/50 mix and even after my recent nic level drop to 9mg, the throat hit is still on the strong side for me in a dual coil carto.

If half the nic level is still too much, halve it again :-) but it's definitely worth trying a straight VG juice in case your friend has a sensitivity to PG or vice-versa.

AVF Regular
    My sister has tried about 20 flavours all between 18-25mg mostly jw doublers and pa concentrates at 70/30 pg/vg. She smokes (rollies) but just tries vaping every now and then. Her boyfriend brought a 510-t kit the day he tried my mod and has not had a ciggy since, that was over a month ago. I think if she stuck with it for a few days she would be fine tho. The only time she enjoyed it was with a boge sr carto with strawberry I made up at 12mg, but she still takes small drags. Any of the lr or duel coil carto tanks I have were the worst for making her cough. She was fine with the elusion with 12mg cartamizers. Hope this helps

AVF Regular
    also remeber it takes a week or so to get used to vaping?
    CCC likes this.

My first vape felt like i inhaled sand, after that i was fine. It just surprised me. Exact same wit ha friend's first try.

Maybe you could get him to try vaping just some VG or PG by itself and make sure its not either of those. At least that rules out the base of juices and nic juices. I mean it wont taste any good, but it will confirm that part

AVF Regular
    thanks for the replies and suggestions. keep them coming. i just can't hold this pewp any longer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast