Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Complete Newbie needing all kinds of advice and pointers

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Complete Newbie needing all kinds of advice and pointers

Hi everyone,
    I recently decided to try and switch to vaping after two decades of smoking, and after quite extensive research and head scratching opted for an aspire premium starter kit fitted out with a nautlus mini. I went this model as I read it's a good beginner kit for people trying to get off cigarettes--good for mouth to lung inhalers. As it stands, I still haven't bought any ejuice because I'm really all at sea when it comes to buying the right strength nicotine and VG/PG ratio. I've been looking at juices from vaporfi; seems like the safest bet given the level of oversight the company has, being FDA approved. They also seem to use premium ingredients....not sure I trust any of the Aussie vendors, honestly.

I smoke betwen 25-30 roll your own winfield blue ( not light blue) cigarettes per day and prefer these as they give a decent throat hit. I've had really bad anxiety since I was a kid and rely on cigarettes, and the habit of smoking, very heavily to help get me through anxiative points throughout the day, so I guess what I'm driving at is that I'll be puffing on this quite frequently. A lot of the time I smoke not just because of the nicotine but rather because it's kind of a distraction from panic sensations. Smoking is just a big part of my life--a kind of therapy and this is probably why I've never been able to quit via patches....I need the habit as much as I am addicted to nicotine.

I'm really hoping someone can advise me on getting the right type of ejuice at the right strength. Very appreciative for any help given.

thanks
    starlo

AVF Regular
    Hi Starlo and welcome!

I understand what you mean. It can be really confusing at the start. Not only is there an abundance of choice these days but the terminology and slang takes awhile to get the hang of.

Off the bat I can tell you that you can trust most E-juice manufacturers...at least the well known ones. It's not really in their interest to poison their customers. As for the Aussies ones, they are just as good as the US ones and just as safe, it's really just a matter of taste preference. One thing to keep in mind with Aussie juice though is that it is nicotine free, you would need to source your nicotine elsewhere and add the right amount to achieve your desired strength. In fact, the same is true of any US made juice bought from Aussie vendors.

As far as I know their is only one source of legal nicotine juice in Australia and that is Nicopharm. They don't have a great range of flavors and they are(comparatively) overpriced but it's not a bad place to start.

The strength that you need is hard to gauge. Theoretically I should have started with at least 18mg based on my smoking habits and yet I started with 6mg and it's worked for me. Since you are planning on using a Nautilus I think 12mg would probably be a good starting point and you can work it up or down as you need. Keep in mind though, vaping is different from smoking. As long as the mouth and throat hit are satisfying you you don't really have a problem. If your strength is not high enough....just vape more. Most people when they start vaping get concerned about how much they should vape, how often they should vape, whether or not they are getting enough nic....really, put that all out of your mind. The trick is to vape as much and as often as you need to to satisfy your nic cravings and your hand to mouth habit. You won't get sick. Don't stress and over time it will even out.

IN the meantime...why not get a few? Get a 6mg, a 12mg and an 18mg to give it a try. Start with the 12 and see how ya do.
    chrisbram and Fents like this.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

Good advice from Leigon. I'm only four to five weeks in, used to smoke about 10-20 champion ruby rollies. With vapeing i started at 3mg nic and found it wasnt enough and have settled on 6mg and its perfect. Great throat hit and have not craved a cigarette once since i've begun. I started with a kanger top box mini as i prefer direct lung. Just buy local juice it really is fine, in fact im finding local juice to be better than the stuff i get from Mt Baker vapor in the US. You can order flavoured juice from the US or NZ with nic already in it at your desired mg, or you can buy un-nic'd juice (locally or overseas) and import your own nic (Unflavored 100 mg/ml Nicotine Base 100ML - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale).

Good luck, when you finally find your sweet spot its life changing.
    chrisbram likes this.

AVF Regular
    I understand where you are coming from with the anxiety as like you, I have suffered it since childhood, or at least that is when I think it started. I smoked for 30 years and started vaping 1.5 years ago and have not had one smoke since. It can be done, but still takes some willpower to stick with it and work through the times when you have problems.

I would suggest 18mg with a 50/50 PG VG mix. The nic and PG add to throat hit whereas the VG does not. So higher PG juices would be preffered I think at this time for you. Though I wouldn't suggest more the 50 PG. Also look at getting some 12mg juice, I found 18 at first too harsh and quickly went to 12mg.

My first juice came from Vape Wild, well priced, decent juice, massive flavour choice. But, expect 2-3 weeks for the shipping. A quicker option would be Hiliq in China and use the DHL shipping option, decent juice, not much flavour range, expect it in 4 or 5 days. The Vape Shop in New Zealand is another option and quick postage.

Other option is to buy some nic from Hiliq and mix with locally purchased doublers but it does take a bit to get everything needed, maybe down the track.

VAPE WILD | Best E-Juice Shop, Free Shipping, Free E Cigarette Liquid

http://www.hiliq.com/checkout/cart/

https://www.thevapeshop.co.nz/
    Crisscross and Fents like this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

Thanks everyone, I'm really keen to make a go of it and kill the cigarette addiction before it kills me. Based on advice received so far I went a bought some 6mg and 12mg strength liquids--pear, white turtle and sahara gold tobacco from vaperfi. They just seem to have a lot of oversight from the FDA and use premium ingredients.

Should I buy extra tanks? What would be some recommenations for someone who plans to vape all day? The kit I bought (aspire premium with mini naut) came with 5 extra coils, but could I buy extra tanks and pre-load these if I feel like switching flavors throughout the day?

AVF Regular
    Welcome starlo. Enjoy the switcH

If you get a chance, put your location in your profile. (Through the general settings in your account) It helps people know the places to suggest you visit (b&M) and if anyone is close by they can help if you get stuck.

Your first kit will always be the most expensive but you need to get comfortable with your gear, eliquid and vendor. Once you get into the swing of how to Vape and what to use you will have time to shop around for a better priced option. But anyway let's get you started first.
    gtadmin likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlo View Post
    Should I buy extra tanks? What would be some recommenations for someone who plans to vape all day? The kit I bought (aspire premium with mini naut) came with 5 extra coils, but could I buy extra tanks and pre-load these if I feel like switching flavors throughout the day?
    And it starts!

Yeah, you'll probably end up getting extra tanks but if I was you I'd wait until you've had a good chance to check out the one you've got. You may think it's perfect and wanna get more like it. You may find it's to tight of a draw and want something airier. You may find that you want something that is a little warmer and maybe go the sub-ohm route. At this point your best bet is to read as much as you can here and elsewhere and take the time to explore what you have....that way you'll be able to make a better more informed choice down the line. I have a small collection of currently unused Atomizers sitting here to attest to this.
    Crisscross and fabricator4 like this.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

The other device that's really good for smokers trying to get off the stinkies is the Endura T18, easily bought online. (Get a couple of extra tanks and a pile of extra coils - the coils can last up to one month though sometimes die sooner.) It's what I've got, recommended on here. I've been off the smokes for only three months or so and really need/needed something that felt like smoking.

I'd get two devices (or rather a spare since you already have the Aspire). You need one to use while you have another one charging, or in case something goes wrong. That way you can access a cigarette-like vape ALL THE TIME. It's crucial at the beginning of this journey, in my experience.

I got varied nicotine strengths - 6mg, 12mg and 18mg. When I really felt as though I was weakening, I'd switch to the 18mg, even though most of the time, the lower mg was fine.

I'm a big believer in the non-flavoured nicotine e-juices. (That's just nicotine mixed into a PG and VG base, usually 50/50 for the smaller starter kit type devices like the Aspire and Endura. Higher VG levels gunks them up.) If you just want to reproduce the physical sensation of smoking, the whole flavour thing can get in the way.

Listen to the people on here. They're fonts of knowledge on this stuff and helped me heaps to get on my way. Good luck.
    gtadmin and Crisscross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Welcome starlo. Enjoy the switcH

If you get a chance, put your location in your profile. (Through the general settings in your account) It helps people know the places to suggest you visit (b&M) and if anyone is close by they can help if you get stuck.

Your first kit will always be the most expensive but you need to get comfortable with your gear, eliquid and vendor. Once you get into the swing of how to Vape and what to use you will have time to shop around for a better priced option. But anyway let's get you started first.
    Done! Thanks crisscross.
    Crisscross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    The other device that's really good for smokers trying to get off the stinkies is the Endura T18, easily bought online. (Get a couple of extra tanks and a pile of extra coils - the coils can last up to one month though sometimes die sooner.) It's what I've got, recommended on here. I've been off the smokes for only three months or so and really need/needed something that felt like smoking.

I'd get two devices (or rather a spare since you already have the Aspire). You need one to use while you have another one charging, or in case something goes wrong. That way you can access a cigarette-like vape ALL THE TIME. It's crucial at the beginning of this journey, in my experience.

I got varied nicotine strengths - 6mg, 12mg and 18mg. When I really felt as though I was weakening, I'd switch to the 18mg, even though most of the time, the lower mg was fine.

I'm a big believer in the non-flavoured nicotine e-juices. (That's just nicotine mixed into a PG and VG base, usually 50/50 for the smaller starter kit type devices like the Aspire and Endura. Higher VG levels gunks them up.) If you just want to reproduce the physical sensation of smoking, the whole flavour thing can get in the way.

Listen to the people on here. They're fonts of knowledge on this stuff and helped me heaps to get on my way. Good luck.
    Ok, I just bought the innokin too lol. Looks like the goods--I was wondering about battery life, thanks for the great idea.

You know, I make stuff out of fiberglass and I'm betting I could fabricate some pretty cool cases for these things....
    Chrisso_88 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast