Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Mesh Wicks Advice

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mesh Wicks Advice

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in trying my hand at a mesh wick and have look at you tube videos for help.

One thing that they do is blow torch the wick. I understand why they do this but I don't have a blow torch.

Probably a dumb question but can I use the gas stove top to torch the wick or does it need to be a certain temperature that only the blow torch will provide?

AVF Regular
    Yes bro, cherry red glow with a bic lighter is sufficient. Leave a small gap around the wick hole. Wrap your coils evenly. Pulse to begin with, nudge coils to work hot spots. You want a coil that glows from the inside out.

Watch this blokes early videos:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC-1fXWwu0a9kXhyRokcJ4cw
    floorzone2 and merexy like this.

Thanks BK. Will have a go at it tonight after watching that video.

Bit of an update and just in case anyone else might be searching for some tips.

After two days of mistakes and dry hits I finally got a mesh wick to work in the Sat22. And tastes very nice I might add.

What worked for me: (I couldn't get the guys method from above to work well)

TLR - Watch out for hot spots and shorting (specifically the wick touching the centre post.) Make sure the coil is evenly wrapped around the mesh.

1. Use 400 SS Mesh. I didn't have much luck with smaller sizes.
    2. Cut mesh 30mm(h) x 20mm(l)
    3. Wrap around a 2mm screwdriver (I went with a straw method without the second wick inside the first one.)
    4. Oxidise the Mesh so its a darker grey colour not black
    5. Put the Mesh back on the screwdriver and wrap your coil around it while on the screwdriver. Not too tight that it strangles the mesh, but not too lose that its slipping all over the place. I went with a coil wrap that when I pulled the wick back and forth I could feel friction but it did not snag. (This was one of the most important parts I found. If the wick is not touching all coils you get shorts or uneven burns)
    6. With the wick and coil still on the screwdriver put it in the wicking hole of the Sat22. I had to do a little twisting to initially get the wick in the hole but it worked.
    7. Attach the coil to the posts.
    8. Adjust the coils visually to your liking (I had mine just separated from each other not touching)
    9. Do some pulsing dry burns to find hot spots and shorts. Adjust the coil as needed until there is an even glow starting inside out.

(If you are getting shorts - either the ohms reader fluctuates or the mod reads "no atomiser" - check that the wick or coil is not touching the centre post at all. This took me way to long to figure out!!!!)

10. Once you have an even coil burning put some juice on the coils and burn it. What you are looking for is a nice stream of vape with the coils NOT turning red. If a few coils remain red you need to go back and fix a hot spot somewhere. Its a PITA but worth it.

11. Fill the Genny. And retest that the vape is streaming nice with no hot spots (coils should not turn red)

I wish I knew some of these little tricks, re shorting and the wick being even in the coil etc.
    floorzone2, Robray, mpc3k and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    The only thing i would add,try to wrap the coil without having to readjust after. [IMG][/IMG]
    Robray and lheamfrg like this.
    RIP VP

Good point floorzone. The more fiddling you do to the coil on the wick the more chance the coil will not be touching the wick resulting in shorts etc. Some of my coils by the time I finished tinkering were horrendous. Best just to start fresh.
    floorzone2 and bn1986 like this.

AVF Regular
    Mesh though : puke:
    floorzone2 likes this.

AVF Regular
    yes brian. Juzdin i mean wrap the coil on the mod mate,its easier. [IMG][/IMG]
    juzdin likes this.
    RIP VP

AVF Regular
    You got enough wire there Al :rofl:

AVF Regular
    Fat fingers,wires cheap.:fu2:
    juzdin likes this.
    RIP VP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast