Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Burning coils or burnt liquid?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Burning coils or burnt liquid?

Hi all,
    Iím a month into vaping and have been learning up with all the information available to newbies. Iíve had a few issues though and I was hoping someone might be able to help explain a few things or point me to the right path.

A bit of background
    I started off with a Kangatech SubVod and now have a Pico mega with both a serpent sub tank and a Melo 3. The liquids Iíve got were purchased overseas and the majority are from Malaysia. They are mostly 50/50 fruit blends(Mango, Honeydew etc) with 3mg Nic.

So the issue,
    I seem to be tearing through coils with the Melo3 especially (0.15 Ni). When vaping I often will get a burnt taste, especially when using a higher watt setting (40w+) or if drawing on it to many times. I have defiantly primed the coil, done some dry draws and allowed the unit to sit for about 15mins. Weird thing is my Kanga set-up seems to not have this problem as bad anyway. Iíve done some searching but the only answer for this seems to be that the sweeter liquids can sometimes burn.

After this happens removing the coil and looking at the internal wires, they appear to now have a black coating.

So my questions, Is it the sweetness of the liquid that is the issue? The watts are too high? Do different brand coils behave differently (eg. Kanga is better suited to sweeter liquids)? Maybe a higher Ohm coil might work better?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere and thank you in advance.

AVF Regular
    Your coils are definitely burnt it wont be the juice
    You are most likely running your coils to high watts, look at the coils most should have a wattage range on them with a maximum.

If they dont have that on them the ohms should let you know what to set at but not knowing what your using its hard to say for sure.

Also you say you used ni200 coils are you using temp control? they dont work in wattage mode look at the mods instructions for how to change it to temp control

as a very general rule 1.5 ohm coils should be used around 20 watts
    0.5 ohm around 30-40watts
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    I think your issue here might be running Ni coils in wattage mode. As far as I know this is a big no no for this exact reason. You should be running these in temp control (TC) mode
    Fatman and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Also you say you used ni200 coils are you using temp control? they dont work in wattage mode look at the mods instructions for how to change it to temp control
    This

as a very general rule 1.5 ohm coils should be used around 20 watts
    0.5 ohm around 30-40watts
    For kanthal and the like.
    Spot on for the 0.5, waaaay too high for 1.5. Start your coils off at about 3.8v and work up from there if not warm enough.

Here's a calculator if you're not too sure about the volts (if it doesn't show on your mod).
    Robray, Fatman and stylemessiah like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    Oh dear god no...never run Nickel coils in VW/VV mode....temp control only

Watts in tc mode then only becomes a ceiling or limit

i.e. i vape at 185c, but my watts is set to 40w - the mod will only use about 16w during use to get and keep 185c - but its generally advised to set the watts on a tc device to 30w or above to give yourself some headroom if you increase the temp - it will need more watts to get to higher temps

On my device at least i set the watts in one screen, and then switch to temp control mode where i set the temp...refer to your manual on how to enable and set up temp control mode

Once the watts ceiling is set, the temperature you set is what determines the vape. Start out at 180c, and slowly increase (a few puffs every 5 degrees increase) the temp until you get where you enjoy the vape, this gradual increase also breaks in the coils and can make them last longer. As for whats the right temp, like flavours, its subjective, but somewhere around 220c would be in the realms of average. i use 185c as i dont like a warm/hot vape, you mileage may vary
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 27-09-16 at 02:11 PM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    The other thing is these coils work their best for direct to lunch inhales. They need the full on airflow that most MTL vapers don't quite manage.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    ...direct to lunch inhales...
    Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not eat breakfast
    Crisscross, Fatman and fabricator4 like this.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefished View Post
    Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not eat breakfast

Leave the girl alone. She is hungry!!
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    The other thing is these coils work their best for direct to lunch inhales. They need the full on airflow that most MTL vapers don't quite manage.
    MMmmmm, lunch...

40 watts on 0.15 in TC mode is too low. I use 0.22 SS in TC with watts set around 55 to 60. The beauty of TC is what you set is the limit and the mod varies the power up to the limit. If it is too low it will take too long to get to temp. About 230C for me.
    And as mentioned, Ni is TC only which the Pico can do.

Are you using a high VG juice? I ask as higher VG is harder to wick and if you are vaping like a steam train it may struggle to keep up. TC should overcome this by lowering the power, but if it aint wicking well, it aint good.
    Crisscross likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    ROFL I blame my iPad.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast