• 3 Post By Legion
  • 1 Post By TheBald1
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Legion

Thread: Mixing Nicotine

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mixing Nicotine

G'day guys. I just jumped into vaping last week and picked up a Kanger SUBVOD MEGA TC Starter Kit.
    I've got a lot to learn so I'm glad I found this place.
    I just have a couple of questions at this point:
    A) how long does it usually take for a shipment from Hiliq to get here and
    B) I already have a 30ml bottle of 0 nicotine juice, and a bottle of 100mg Nicotine Solution in PG base coming from Hiliq, how much do I need to add to get my juice to get it to around 18mg nic?
    Thanks
    Grant
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    Your Hiliq should take 4 to 7 days to get here. If it's already in transit, how long it takes to go through customs in Australia and whether or not the courier company is delivering direct to your door are the main factors.

you would add 6.58ml of 100mg/ml to raise 30mls of RTV to 18mg/ml

30ml x 18mg/ml / (100-18) = 6.56ml

Call it 6.6ml, and the total volume will be 36.6ml obviously.

work it backwards, 6.6ml times 100mg/ml is 660gm of nicotine total.
    660/36.6 is 18.03mg/ml

you will need a larger bottle to mix this in since most 30ml bottles do not have space to add another 6.6ml, or do it in two batches, half and half in another bottle.

If this is your first time vaping it's sometimes better to do smaller batches until you get your nicotine dialled in. Eg 1.8ml of nicotine in a small bottle, then top it up to 10ml for an 18mg/ml batch. 100mg/ml is easy to work out the figures doing it this way.

You can also start lower and if it doesn't work out, you can raise the nic level in the remainder using a very slight variation of the first equation (the first 18mg/ml in the multiplier is changed to how much you want it raised by)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-10-16 at 03:49 PM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    The answer to your first question is it varies. Could be anything from a week to three or so.

The simple answer to your second questions is 5.4ml. There are a ton of eliquid calcs online. Hiliq have one here and there's another good one here. Although they are designed for complete diy recipes they are easily tweaked for ready to vape juice. The important variables are the final total amount, the strength of your nic base and the desired nic strength desired. Plug those in and ignore the other options or fill them out with placeholder data and you should get the amount you want.

Something that stands out to me though is that the device you've ordered is designed for subohm use and comes preinstalled with a 0.15 ohm coil. 18mg juice is gonna be pretty damn strong and throaty on that...you may wanna consider mixing down and seeing how you do. After all, you can always add more nic but it's damn hard to take it out again!

Edit: Fabs math is more accurate than mine. I usually calculate based on the amount I am adding to (as in, a 30ml bottle) and go from there. It means I am always a little off but close enough for me.
    Last edited by Legion; 09-10-16 at 03:25 PM.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

Perfect, thanks guys
    RyanohRyan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Something that stands out to me though is that the device you've ordered is designed for subohm use and comes preinstalled with a 0.15 ohm coil. 18mg juice is gonna be pretty damn strong and throaty on that...you may wanna consider mixing down and seeing how you do. After all, you can always add more nic but it's damn hard to take it out again!
    I'm using 0.5 ohm coils, how will that effect things?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Edit: Fabs math is more accurate than mine. I usually calculate based on the amount I am adding to (as in, a 30ml bottle) and go from there. It means I am always a little off but close enough for me.
    Yes, you've based it on the final volume still being 30ml, but adding the nic raises the volume. The pedant in me has to work out what the real result would be in your example of 5.4ml

5.4x100 / 35.4ml = 15.25mg/ml

Look, a lot of people would not be able to tell the difference. It would still drive me nuts though LOL
    Last edited by fabricator4; 09-10-16 at 03:37 PM.
    TheBald1 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBald1 View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say (I only hinted to mix less, and in smaller batches).

I think 12mg/ml might be OK for starters. It's possible to overdose on 12mg/ml though, if you chain vape on it.
    Legion and TheBald1 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBald1 View Post
    Let's put it this way...

higher ohms make less vapor, lower ohms make more.
    higher ohms uses less juice per "burn", lower uses more.
    more evaporated juice means more nicotine per puff, toot or whatever you wanna call it.
    you absorb the nicotine mostly through the mouth and somewhat through the lungs.
    your body is very efficient at this. Virtually no nicotine is expelled, it is all absorbed.
    therefore higher nicotine used with lower ohms can result in a rougher vape and more throat hit.
    if chainvaped higher nicotine used with low ohms can result in dizziness, nausea and mild nicotine poisoning.

That said, I highly doubt you would continue to vape enough to poison yourself. At some point you would feel a bit ill and give it a break for a bit.

all that said and done, some people like a good sized throat hit and keep there nic high, though usually around the 9mg mark. It all depends on you and how you like to vape. As for myself...I was a heavy smoker for 30 odd years. I smoked rollies for the last 5 or so with occasional forays into pipe smoking and I went straight to subohm vaping at 6mg when I started and stayed there.
    TracieBxx and TheBald1 like this.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski