Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: A mixed bag of random

AVF Regular

A mixed bag of random

G'day Gents & Gentesses,

I was going to put this in another subforum but as its a mixed bag and I've lurked awhile and not posted much the newbie forum would be the better home for this thread, also as some of the information is probably pretty basic it may find more interest here, if that's a problem mods feel free to move it.

After days of intending to post this nicely and well written but not finding the time i've decided its better to just throw this quick posting up and see what sticks.
    I'll admit its a little vague and messy but I'll be checking in on the thread if it takes off, I'm keen to gather some input and opinions.

All suggestions welcome, All derailing welcome, All opinions welcome.

The best result is to get a discussion going so I can read it all and learn what I can.

Starting Hardware for discussion:
    ------
    eVic VTC Dual, basically a VTC Mini many are familiar with however this one has the option of carrying two 18650's.
    Kayfun V5 - SJMY.
    ------
    MTL / DL - No real preference.
    ------
    Flavours which sound fun to play with:
    Citrus, fruits, creamy/custard, spirits, sours, menthols, more that i can't think of atm.

What I'd like some input on:

Getting into DIY juice, sounds fun and i like the idea of tinkering with my own blends
    Essential start-up equipment? Good place to get bottles? safe storage?
    Are there any recommended places to get concentrates from? How long do they generally keep?
    I've been reading through the DIY juice recipe threads on this forum and I'm keen to try some of them out for myself, maybe even create a few to post.
    Anything to stay away from in general? How to know you're not getting Diacetyl?

Temp control coil building, can you suggest some material and gauge combo's which work for the TC function?
    To date I've used pretty basic coils, generally 316 SS but I'd like to fiddle with Temp control + Claptons.
    If i get the TC functioning consistently I would be using it almost exclusively.
    Any known issues with the evic VTC's and SS? Suggested SS type and gauge? For 'standard' coils and claptons
    The Wires Explained! thread stickied in the hardware forum was very useful, but gives the impression I should stick with 316SS, it's a good read
    Biggest question here i suppose is what makes a good gauge for a standard coil, and whats a good combination for a clapton in 316SS ?

Any particular juices or tanks you think are worth a look I'd be interested to read about.
    Having not tried much in the way of variety of juice or flavours I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of types, brands, flavours or even sites/stores.
    I'm currently looking for a really good menthol or cooling juice atm, as well as any interesting combinations or flavours

I read on this forum that it was a good idea to have a dripper style device for creating DIY juices, can you suggest one?

I am aware that the most common and correct response will probably be to order a whole bunch of stuff and try it all out to see for myself, but i was hoping you could narrow that down quite a bit so i can go in a more specific direction.

What I initially thought I was writing as a mostly hardware and temp control thread has been chopped down and shuffled into more of a gear & juice suggestion topic before i even hit post.

No wrong answers here, unless they're poisonous. Poison would be bad.

Cheers.

AVF Regular
    Well thats a stag of a post, welcome to AVF

Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    Getting into DIY juice, sounds fun and i like the idea of tinkering with my own blends
    Are there any recommended places to get concentrates from? How long do they generally keep?
    I've been reading through the DIY juice recipe threads on this forum and I'm keen to try some of them out for myself, maybe even create a few to post.
    Anything to stay away from in general? How to know you're not getting Diacetyl?
    start up gear can be as expensive or as cheap as you want.
    me personally just use syringes for mixing in 1,5,10,20,40ml varieties from a chemist for a couple cents each, if they get all pissy thinking your a junkie tell them your a mechanic and you use em for lubing shitty euro trash cars.
    for the bigger amounts (200mls +) i use a pyrex jug/ plastic takeaway spoons from coles/woolies.

same goes for storage,
    if you want the cheap way out a $5 lockable toolbox or petty cash tin.
    most concentrates are PG based so i keep mine in the fridge/freezer under lock and key.
    except for pg based nic that goes in the freezer in a lockable box

Diacetyl
    short of beating your vendor with a large stick ( i recommend one on fire), you just have to ask them and pray they are honest.
    general rule of thumb fruit based concentrates are usually Diacetyl free, custards/ yogurts on the other hand not so much.
    this not a 100% given.

Temp control coil building, can you suggest some material and gauge combo's which work for the TC function?
    To date I've used pretty basic coils, generally 316 SS but I'd like to fiddle with Temp control + Claptons.
    If i get the TC functioning consistently I would be using it almost exclusively.
    Any known issues with the evic VTC's and SS? Suggested SS type and gauge? For 'standard' coils and claptons
    The Wires Explained! thread stickied in the hardware forum was very useful, but gives the impression I should stick with 316SS, it's a good read
    Biggest question here i suppose is what makes a good gauge for a standard coil, and whats a good combination for a clapton in 316SS ?
    TC is mixed bag and someone else with more knowledge will chime in.
    Im not to familiar with the current generations iteration, but old school TC doing fancy coils like claptons was a waste of time.

Any particular juices or tanks you think are worth a look I'd be interested to read about.
    [INDENT]Having not tried much in the way of variety of juice or flavours I'm curious if anyone has suggestions of types, brands, flavours or even sites/stores.
    I'm currently looking for a really good menthol or cooling juice atm, as well as any interesting combinations or flavours
    with 100s of tanks only slightly different then the next, its dealers choice.
    if you dont tootle puff and like the DL something like the Griffith RTA, is fairly easy to build on with it velocity styled deck.
    best would be checking out a few review channels like Mike Vapes, Vapor chronicles and find what one you like the looks of.

cant for the life of me remember that aussie site that sells the concentrates in bulk, juice factory i think
    Im getting lazy in my old age its all doublers now, adding a few drops of the Hiliq cooling agent to a mix does tend to make your eyes water and clear the sinuses.
    RyanohRyan and BushDozer like this.

AVF Regular
    You had me at derail....

Meanwhile: Add your location to your profile: Click Settings at the top of screen, then on following screen click Edit Profile on the left, then 3rd box from the bottom add your location. This is a requirement to buy/sell gear on here, and more importantly *may* result in getting help from one of us nearby.

SJMY Kayfun 5 - not bad, i have one, i like it almost as much as my favourite tank, the Lemo 2. It has yet to create drama in my life. Ive had plenty of tanks, the SJMY is one of the few, Avo 22m included, thats made it past day one. So you get some points there. Im not even going to talk about the Evic....

Bottles: i get mine from New Directions, as its online or (if youre in Sydney) an actual store..

boston bottles: Boston Bottles - New Directions Australia

caps: Plastic Caps (Amber Glass Bottles) - New Directions Australia

eyedroppers: Eyedroppers - New Directions

glass funnels/beakers/measuring tubes: Measuring & Laboratory Apparatus - New Directions Australia

Some 30ml and 50ml and 200ml bottles, plus caps, eyedroppers, funnel and/or beaker/measuring tube should be on the shopping list as a newbie juice diy'er if youre going to be mixing lots of gear

Syringes as hoofy says, from the chemist, theyre cheap and you'll want several of each size as the print does come off when you rinse/wash them

Avoiding diacetyl: stay away from custard/butterscoth if youre determined to try and avoid diacetyl...anything that has a butter flavour component as a very basic rule.

TC:

I use TC full time, and would never go back to watts mode.

I started with nickel (first widely used tc wire), but am glad that we dont have to build those coils anymore (soft wire). I skipped titanium and went straight for 316L ss, which is what ive used for about a year now.
    SS has the bonus of being a flexible wire, as in you can use it in watts or tc mode. I personally have had no issues with using coils at 0.5 ohm and above, but others have used much lower.
    But many times ive come across poeople in this forum and others who complain that 316L ss in tc mode is not reliable, usually after pointing out that 316L has the lowest TCR (by which the
    mod calculates the temp curve), and suggesting they try .5 or above, they find it works fine for them. People need to learn to build to the wires abilities in other words. For mods where you can set the TCR value, 316L is 0.00092.
    As mentioned, others build lower than i do and have no issues, ive had no huge issues with lower, but i did find it less reliable. I doubt theres any issues with ss on the Evic at this point, and even high end mods like the DNA200, until recently had issues with 316L ss.
    there are other variants of ss...430 for example, and i was planning to try it, but no real point when 3126L has worked fine enough for me, and my DNA200 has just been updated with better 316L handling.
    I know of only one person on here off the top of my head who may have used ss claptons in tc mode...Fabricator4...from memory, and i have a bad memory....
    If you get tc right, you can expect to enjoy the same vape every time you hit the button, i do and have for over a year. Tc will only apply enough wattage to maintain the temp you set, watts mode will just keep
    applying the same wattage, meaning the temp will cascade. I do not miss wattage mode at all, though a LOT of other people prefer wattage mode. Try it and see what you prefer.

For me my coils are built on a 3mm screwdriver, 7/8 wraps of 316L for around 0.60+, gives me repeatable results used in tc mode.

If using prebuilt coils, if lower than 0.5 doesnt work well for you, dont blame tc, try 0.5 coils....
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 12-10-16 at 05:52 AM.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    eVic VTC Dual, basically a VTC Mini many are familiar with however this one has the option of carrying two 18650's.
    Kayfun V5 - SJMY.[/kayfun]
    I think the Kayfun 5 would be a great device. If you want to do true MTL with it, you'll need the MTL adaptor kit from SvoeMesto. Apparently it fits.

MTL / DL - No real preference.
    People normally have a preference. It comes down to what they find satisfying. MTL with higher nicotine gives a distinctive throat hit, which is what a lot of smokers look for, and the overall effect is a bit more like smoking too.

DL is satisfying in other ways. I do a bit of both and a bit in between. The normal recommendation is to start off with MTL and high nicotine. It's easier to get used to and more satisfying from a smokers point of view.

Flavours which sound fun to play with:
    Citrus, fruits, creamy/custard, spirits, sours, menthols, more that i can't think of atm.
    Only you will know what you like, and that is likely to change. Best advice I can give would be to keep an open mind and try different things, even stuff you would not normally go for.

DIYing your own formulas has a steep learning curve. There's a lot to learn about flavours and how they work. There's a lot more easy mix concentrates around now though, so you can start with those. It's pretty easy mixing single concentrates from Hiliq or Aussie Ecigs for example. It's also the cheapest way of doing it. I think I vape DIY for less than $3 a week.

Absolute essential minimum for DIY is a range of syringes - 1,2.5,5,10,20ml and some bottles - 10ml and 30ml to start with. Get more of each than you think you will need. You can re-use them by washing them. About every three uses put some PG on the rubber plunger in the syringes to keep them lubricated. Also get some 18g and 22g blunt needles for the syringes - it makes getting at the concentrates and PG based liquids easier. VG is thicker and you are better off not using a needle.

Anything to stay away from in general? How to know you're not getting Diacetyl?[/INDENT]
    The only way to be sure you're not getting diacetyl I think would be to only buy FlavourArt flavours that have been certified in their clearstream project, which they started a couple of years ago.

Bottom line is though, even the absolute worst concentrate is still far better than smoking. I worry about diacetyl for my ADV but I have other flavours that I use occasionally - for those I'm not so concerned. Diacetyl has not actually been show to cause a problem at the concentrations we use it at. Just because it's a problem in an industrial setting and at industrial concentrations does not mean that it's a big problem at lower concentrations. More testing is required and eventually we may know more. For now it's up to the individual to decide what they are prepared to use.

For coil building I'd recommend you start with Kanthal as it's the easiest to build and VW. Just to do normal round wire builds. More complex builds you can look at later - the advantages of them are not completely clear, and you need round wire builds to compare them to anyway.

TC is up to you, but yes I'd probably recommend SS 316 at this stage since it can be used for both VW and TC.

I read on this forum that it was a good idea to have a dripper style device for creating DIY juices, can you suggest one?
    If it's not going to be your main atty, I'd suggest just trying a few cheap versions until you find one you like.
    I'm currently using a production RDA, but this one looks interesting: https://www.fasttech.com/products/4379400 and the centre pin looks like it could be easily changed to a squonk pin, and it would work great with a single coil.

I really want to try out the recoil design: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...dable-dripping

Kennedy is a popular design: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...pping-atomizer

Mephisto clone looks nice: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...dable-dripping and the design could be very good.

Honestly there's so many RDA's to choose from on Fasttech I find different ones every time I go there. If you find a device that works well but you want original quality, you can always go looking for an original later.

The trick with Fasttech is to NOT buy anything with batteries or juice, pay the extra $2 for express. People here have been getting there stuff quite quickly.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 12-10-16 at 09:47 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    I know of only one person on here off the top of my head who may have used ss claptons in tc mode...Fabricator4...from memory, and i have a bad memory....
    I made some Kanthal claptons which I was playing with. I've got some 32g 316L wire coming (when I press the button on my crazy humungous Fasttech order). I'll see how it goes, at this stage I don't know how easy it will be to clapton SS wire. It might turn out to be a bear.

I'm having a love/hate relationship with the claptons I put in the Theorum. They were great, but after the second dry burn and with strawberry cheesecake I'm not liking it. Spitty and inconsistent... I'll change it out and try it with Dragon's Tale again when I get around to it. Claptons are hard to get enough wick through, because they resist pulling the wick through much more than round wire builds, so that might be the issue - I think I was in a hurry last time I rewicked it.

I need a DIY mixing day since I'm down to the dregs on everything except my ADV (note to OP: DIY is great as a hobby and all but it needs more time than just ordering off the internet). You can generally mix *something* up very quickly though, even if it's unflavoured.
    DIY needs planning. Order VG and PG from basedrop. Decide on which flavours to buy, look at recipes and think of ideas. When you get the concentrates, you test them to see if they are suitable - you may get more ideas on how to use them so you order more concentrates, and test them. Working on recipes can be time consuming - there's only so much your tastebuds can take before they give up. Sometimes a recipe just goes together quickly, sometimes it's more illusive...

I'm pretty hard to please with my DIY, I'm super critical and super hard on myself sometimes.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 12-10-16 at 09:31 AM.
    stylemessiah and BushDozer like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    My experience with claptons has been well documented (by me, repeatedly on here), i hated the ramp up time, and i never use enough watts or temp to make them anything else but a spitty nightmare. Your milage may vary by applying more watts/temp.

Me, ive never found a boring old single coil lacking.

I do now however that one can buy pre wrapped 316L ss claptons if one is inclined
    BushDozer likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    So if you're avoiding diacetyl, what about creamy flavours?
    Like if you wanted to make a creamy strawberry or something. I could live without custards.

Any specific brands for concentrates that are good to start with? or just mix and test?

This Steam engine wire wizard you guys suggested in another thread looks really well made too.

On the topic of the Griffin, Would you guys suggest going with the 22mm Griffin, 25mm Griffin, or 25mm Griffin plus? The 25's would have overhang but don't know whether the newer designs are worth it or not.

I'm just going to leave this here in case anyone else reading this thread is interested in diacetyl free.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/...ors_with_zero/
    Last edited by BushDozer; 13-10-16 at 12:20 AM.

AVF Regular
    I've been doing TC for 2 months now coming from VW.

Coils: SS316 (clapton) - I've read about Nichrome and Titanium but don't trust them so I've never tried them. Clean tasting compared to Kanthal.
    Wick: Pima Cotton (any brand) Kendo gold for 2nd place - clean tasting like SS, no aftertaste and high heat resistant. I started with Muji which at first was fine
    but if I go back to it now, i can taste a weird somewhat burnt cotton (but the wick isn't burnt) even when saturated.

ATTY:
    a small 22 mm two post rda - easy to clean and change wick, particularly if you're making a variety of flavours.
    24 mm is ok too but may have a hairline overhang on a DUAL ( I have a VTwo Mini)... I love the goon...a lot!
    rta - for those marathon vaping session. i have a Griffin 25 and enjoyed it a lot for 2 weeks until I switched to RDA.

Mod: If you really like TC, I'd get a DNA (i don't own one yet) as they're meant to have the most accurate boards for Temperature Control.
    I might be getting either a Lost Vape SKAR DNA 75 (love the looks but only single 18650) or a Therion (non leather), or splurge on a Boss 3000 (but its a LiPo battery)

The Evic Dual is a good "starter TC" since its flexible as you can do single to make it smaller or dual for longevity.
    BushDozer likes this.

AVF Regular
    Since my last post i've ordered a recoil and a griffin 22, i considered the goon however i didn't like the look of the posts based on the youtube videos i saw which had them bending the post clamps and constantly having to rotate the clamp plate, just seems short lived to me.
    The recoil is 24mm but i would only be using it while messing around with DIY juice so i'm not too concerned with the very slight overhang as i wont be carrying it around much.

Cotton, i already have a few hundred squares of muji from another application so i'll just keep chugging through that for now.

I've looked at the DNA boards, if i was going that route i would just build or mill my own box from scratch to make it what i really wanted, not at that stage in vaping yet however i did consider it for a DNA 75w, But as the VTC was 43 USD and the DNA board alone was 45(only did a quick google though) i figure just go with the VTC and build a DNA 200 later.
    I think it would be interesting to make a treebox style DNA200 out of Bloodwood (Bleeding tree, deep red colour) or African Blackwood (Almost ebony black colour). Just not going to do it starting out.
    iirc treebox mods are made of Zebrawood, Bloodwood is about twice as hard and has a deep red colour. top of my head though. Don't quote me on it.

I couldn't be bothered with lithium polymer battery mods, i know it has its benefits and the C rating to go along with it, i would just rather stick with 18650's for my application.
    I like the ability to always be able to swap out cells or store things without the cells in them. Not that i cant pull things apart and desolder or remove lipo's, they're just not as quick and easy as 18650 batteries which i already have a collection of and use on a near daily basis with other devices besides the mod. On that note if i ever had a LiPo cell mod i would probably pull it apart and modify it to use at least a Deans plug so i could swap or remove the cells easily, 2 minutes with a soldering iron. Lipo's vs 18650's would be mostly a discharge/capacitance to weight ratio argument.

Edited in: To further the point of the 18650's vs LiPo batteries, if you look at other hobbies and applications which use them, RC planes/cars/drones for example, there is a reason why the people who know what they're doing store their batteries in a fireproof storage bag or other fire retardant container. (Easy way is an upside down metal mixing bowl on a concrete floor in your garage, haha). Not that this isn't a possibility with any other batteries, its just one I've found much more prevalent in LiPo's. Never even seen an LiFe catch fire unintentionally. Lithium Ion in my own personal experience deteriorates to the point where you would just recycle and replace, compared to LiPo which gets puffy and internally shorts to start a fire usually at a time when no-one is around to enjoy the show.
    IMO the biggest and most relevant difference between LIon and LiPo is the weight saving of the LiPo, the discharge rate is just excessive for the box-mod application and based on my limited experience with vaping, i would assume if you went anywhere near the discharge potential of a good LiPo pack you would probably give yourself and your insides one hell of a burn. Feel free to correct me on that though. I'm still new here, and open to being corrected and informed otherwise.
    Last edited by BushDozer; 14-10-16 at 12:40 AM.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hey everyone,

I just got my evic vtwo dual, but there's a problem.

It will go up to 150w, but when I put on my tank it drops to 93.8 and won't go up... batteries are fully charged and everything else is fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast