• 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 3 Post By muscovyduckling
  • 2 Post By Tara
  • 1 Post By Sign me up

Thread: coils Vs harshness

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

coils Vs harshness

Another quick newb question before I go and make another impulse purchase
    I mentioned a few days ago that I made a batch of 12mg juice that was to harsh, I then went on to make a 6mg then a 3mg batch before I could comfortably vape it in my Kanger subvod TC with Toptank mini, with a 0.5 ohm coil
    A few people mentioned that with sub-ohm vaping 3-5mg juices were not uncommon because stronger nic mixes can be harsh.
    My question is, if I want to go higher nicotine concentration to give up the smokes, would using something like a 1.5 ohm coil in my setup allow me to up the nicotine level without being as harsh on the throat as using a 0.5 coil
    Thanks
    Grant
    jacksonmate likes this.

AVF Regular
    I use 8mgish i used to smoke 25 odd 8mg smokes a day
    TheBald1 likes this.

Big shout out to AVF and Everyone that helped me on my Journey to quit the the Death Sticks

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBald1 View Post
    Another quick newb question before I go and make another impulse purchase
    I mentioned a few days ago that I made a batch of 12mg juice that was to harsh, I then went on to make a 6mg then a 3mg batch before I could comfortably vape it in my Kanger subvod TC with Toptank mini, with a 0.5 ohm coil
    A few people mentioned that with sub-ohm vaping 3-5mg juices were not uncommon because stronger nic mixes can be harsh.
    My question is, if I want to go higher nicotine concentration to give up the smokes, would using something like a 1.5 ohm coil in my setup allow me to up the nicotine level without being as harsh on the throat as using a 0.5 coil
    Thanks
    Grant
    Yes it would, and that's getting into MTL territory. If you're finding the vape a bit harsh with a DL rig, it's probably worth trying something MTL with coils over 1 ohm. The 12mg/ml in that case might be right on the money. You can control the harshness with the watts/temperature with MTL to some extent.
    Tara and TheBald1 like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    I thought people who used sub ohm coils with DL Vaping used lower Nic because that method produced so much more vapour and therefore they were inhaling a lot more Nic with every puff? I don't really know because I've never tried it

Baldie, you will probably find Vaping a wee bit harsh if you're new to it but you should be totally fine with it within a few days to a week. If you've been a heavy smoker and/or smoking for a long time your lungs will be pretty damaged and some(lots) of people in that situation can't handle drawing lots of vapour straight into their lungs because it will make them cough and/or hurt.

So it's often recommended that smokers start out with a MTL tank which generally produce less vapour, and using more Nic. The Toptank mini is not really a MTL tank but if you turn the airflow to the smallest holes, use a 1.5ohm coil, and grab yourself a narrow bore drip tip, it will be passable. If it's still too airy stick some gaffer tape over an airhole.

Or grab a T18.

Also, reduce the PG content of your juice to about 30% and bump up the VG to 70% - this should make it smoother.
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 18-10-16 at 10:43 PM.
    fabricator4, DogMan and TheBald1 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    I thought people who used sub ohm coils with DL Vaping used lower Nic because that method produced so much more vapour and therefore they were inhaling a lot more Nic with every puff? I don't really know because I've never tried it
    That is right. Now maybe I have confused things What I meant in the other thread is that there is no written rule. If you subohm
    and need to (and can) vape a higher mg to stay off the smokes then do it

As you and Fab pointed out, there are also other factors in play if you are finding the vape a bit harsh. I would try lowering the watts
    a bit and/or trying higher VG juices if you've finding 12mg a bit too harsh but feel you need to keep vaping that strength. You could
    also try going to 10mg or 8mg. You might find that couple of mg makes a difference with the harshness and is still enough to keep the
    cravings at bay.
    fabricator4 and TheBald1 like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Bingo!

You're roughly getting the same nic in your system whether its low nic on a high watts setup, vs high nic on a low watts setup.

It's a bit like drinking a slab of beer instead of a bottle of whisky.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

AVF Regular
    Yeah, I like beer