Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: DIY opinion

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

DIY opinion

Hey all, im thinking of making the jump and start mixing my own eliquid. It seems like a big step but im sure its easy with the right research.

So i noticed Hiliq has a DIY starter kit and I was wondering what you guys thought of it?

Heres the link DIY E-Liquid KIT - DIY - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale

Thanks for the help
    RyanohRyan likes this.

AVF Regular
    As much as i love Hiliq, i would point out that the postage on the kit will be as much (if not more) for it than the kit itself.

What most of us DIY'ers do is buy the nicotine (overseas) and concentrates (overseas and locally) and then buy the other gear locally, especially VG and PG...buying VG/PG overseas is going to attract large postage charges - even though in this case the VG and PG in the kit is only 100ml each, i recently paid $23 in postage for 180ml of nic and cocentrates form Hiliq. Going on this the kits postage is going to be much more than that.

I would suggest getting the nic at least from Hiliq and possibly any conentrates you want from them, but other concetrates options are availabel locally. Then id buy all the bottles/measuring equipment locally.

See my post here: A mixed bag of random

It gives links to bottles/caps/measuring equipment from New Directions...cheap as

New Directions has a store in Tempe, just an hours trip from you on the train.

Syringes for getting nic out of the bottle, or mixing small amounts can be grabbed form a local chemist.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    Well it certainly has everything you need, if you want to do it the way suggested. Most of us started by measuring using syringes straight into a small dropper bottle and for that you just need some dropper bottles and a range of syringes in different sizes.

I advise you mix no more than 10ml batches at first until you find out if you are going to like the flavour and the concentration. That might require some smaller syringes, and some larger syringes for PG/VG.

Basedrop has PG and VG for $12 a litre, so its better to buy bulk locally and save the international shipping on that component.
    RyanohRyan and m8j2a like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Thankyou so much fabricator! I couldnt have hoped for a better responce! Will follow your advise and hopefully be mixing soon

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 and RyanohRyan like this.

AVF Regular
    I've found the Australian concentrate suppliers also tend to have syringes for about 30c each, might be worth getting some of their blunt needle ends as well. Otherwise the local chemists should have syringes but i've found they don't have the blunt needle to go on the end of it.
    PG & VG, Basedrop has for $12 a litre.
    As for what you want to order first, I've started by just thinking of combinations i want to try and ordering things that would work for that, but also adding some extras like Koolada, menthol and something to smooth out strong tones like a cream type flavor. Have a look through the recipe thread in the DIY subforum.

stylemessiah mentioned New Directions, if you're after glass storage its definitely worth a look, even if you just browse their website then go in-store to pick it up, not that hard to get to Tempe. From where you are, straight down the Hume, down the M5 to the airport exit and you're pretty much there. Its just near the big yellow eyesore that is IKEA.

Thanks for the info bushdozer. So on the subject of storage, what are some advantages of glass bottles vs plastic? Is it a preference thing?

AVF Regular
    Acidic juice is commonly reported to melt/crack plastic tanks and VG is sensitive to light.
    That, for me, is enough to justify a coloured glass bottle, not clear.

Some would argue that plastic can take on a colour or taste from the juice you store in it, I would say stay away from P.E.T. plastic (easily identified as clear). LDPE plastic is semi-transparent and more resistant to acids, bases and oils.

Personally my concentrate collection is living in a box in the fridge, mixed juice is stored in the fridge in amber glass bottles with as little air in the bottle as possible, also in a box.
    Daily carry/tank-refilling bottle is currently sometimes glass sometimes LDPE(When flavourless), refilled from the other bottles.
    Though i am currently waiting on a delivery which includes a stainless steel juice storage syringe tank thingi-ma-bob just to test out, if it fails for juice carrying i'll just use it as a canister for the first aid kit. Big drawback to that syringe/carrytank however is the window on the side, makes sense to have it but i read the window may be plastic a.k.a. acidic juice like citrus flavours may crack and destroy it. Worst case i'll just get the sh*ts with it eventually and fabricate something myself.

TL;DR:
    I store in amber glass, in a box in the fridge. I'm still experimenting with which daily carry bottle i like best.
    Last edited by BushDozer; 21-10-16 at 03:43 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    I've found the Australian concentrate suppliers also tend to have syringes for about 30c each, might be worth getting some of their blunt needle ends as well. Otherwise the local chemists should have syringes but i've found they don't have the blunt needle to go on the end of it.
    PG & VG, Basedrop has for $12 a litre.
    As for what you want to order first, I've started by just thinking of combinations i want to try and ordering things that would work for that, but also adding some extras like Koolada, menthol and something to smooth out strong tones like a cream type flavor. Have a look through the recipe thread in the DIY subforum.

stylemessiah mentioned New Directions, if you're after glass storage its definitely worth a look, even if you just browse their website then go in-store to pick it up, not that hard to get to Tempe. From where you are, straight down the Hume, down the M5 to the airport exit and you're pretty much there. Its just near the big yellow eyesore that is IKEA.
    Ill just add to that that its easily accessible via train, its a very short walk from Tempe Station

If you do go in there, its up the big stairs, then you will have to fill in an order form at the counter (theres PC kiosks to look up the gear to get the measurements for the bottles and cap widths etc if you are badly prepared and dont have them written down before you leave home ) Once the order form is handed to the lovely staff at the counter its usually only about 5-10 minutes before the warehouse out the back returns the order.

Quote Originally Posted by m8j2a View Post
    Thanks for the info bushdozer. So on the subject of storage, what are some advantages of glass bottles vs plastic? Is it a preference thing?

Over time some strong flavours can leach into some plastic bottles and you may never get the smell or taste out, because a lot of flavours will need weeks of steeping. Glass you can always wash in soapy water (followed by a plain water rinse)/and or bicarb soda & vinegar (followed by a plain water rinse) if youre hard core.

Personal preference.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    I'll also point out that Borosilicate glass, commonly found in reagent bottles is resistant to thermal shock allowing you to put them through boiling water to sterilise and clean them without worrying too much about cracking the glass, it can also take a bump or two. To oversimplify it, similar to how stainless steel is effectively steel+chromium, this stuff is glass+Boric oxide.
    The old pyrex glass was made of the stuff, until the company was sold and they changed to soda-lime glass.
    So if you have any pyrex dishes in your kitchen if it says "PYREX" it should be Borosilicate and if it says 'pyrex' it should be soda-lime.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BushDozer View Post
    I'll also point out that Borosilicate glass, commonly found in reagent bottles is resistant to thermal shock allowing you to put them through boiling water to sterilise and clean them without worrying too much about cracking the glass, it can also take a bump or two. To oversimplify it, similar to how stainless steel is effectively steel+chromium, this stuff is glass+Boric oxide.
    The old pyrex glass was made of the stuff, until the company was sold and they changed to soda-lime glass.
    So if you have any pyrex dishes in your kitchen if it says "PYREX" it should be Borosilicate and if it says 'pyrex' it should be soda-lime.
    God, youre as nerdy as Fab...theres two of you now....
    fabricator4 and BushDozer like this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast