Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Ducky's shopping list for new vapers

AVF Regular

Ducky's shopping list for new vapers

Hi folks! I've had a lot of friends and colleagues ask me for information about getting started with vaping, and this is the standard email I send them. With the recent spate of newbies coming to the forum who have been ripped off or who have bought low quality gear for lots of money, I thought it might be beneficial to post it up here in the hopes of saving some heartache in the future for someone.

Please note VapourEyes and Hiliq are my preferred vendors, but instead of ordering from VapourEyes any of the respected Aussie vendors would be totally fine to buy from - such as The Steamery, VapeKing, Wick and Wire, Vape Street, etc. Also note, newbies can check out VapeAssist to compare prices for their chosen hardware to check that they aren't being ripped off.

OK, here is everything you need to know to get started with ecigs. It looks very confusing and overwhelming, but it's super easy once you get set up and you've got the hang of it And cheap!!!

For the actual ecig device, head to Vaping Supplies and Australian Vaping Liquids and get yourself either an Innokin T18, an Aspire Pockex, or an Ego AIO in whatever style appeals. We used both the T18 and the Ego, I prefer the T18 but my husband prefers the Ego AIOs, although he started on the T18. We haven't tried the Pockex but it receives good reviews! You might even want to get two (it's good to have backup if you're planning to quit smoking completely, nothing worse than a flat battery when you need a nicotine hit!). If you get two, get two of the same (not one T18 and one Ego AIO, for example) because the replacement coils are specific to each type of device - see below.

You will also need to buy two boxes of replacement coils for the ecig you choose (5 coils in each box - this will keep you going for a while). You will need to change the coil inside the ecig every week or two, because it will wither start to taste gross and burnt, or if will start producing hardly any vapour. If you choose the T18 you'll need to buy the 1.5ohm Prism/T18-T22 coils, if you choose the Ego AIO you should buy the 0.6ohm Cubis/EgoAIO coils, and if you get the Aspire Pockex you'll need the 0.6ohm Nautilus X U-Tech coils. You'll find this stuff in the Starter Kits section.

Also while you're on the VapourEyes website, get a 5ml and 10ml syringe, two hollow needle tip things that go on the end of a syringe, and a small bottle of VG. You'll find these things in the DIY Mixing section. This is for mixing nicotine into any e-juices you purchase from Australia. Get this stuff even if you decide to buy premixed juices from overseas because it will definitely come in handy and it doesn't cost much.

When ordering from VapourEyes, use the code JoinTheFamily for 5% off.

Now, in terms of e-juices, you have two options - buy them from Australia and add your own nicotine (Aussie sellers aren't allowed to sell anything with nicotine in it) OR buy your juices from overseas with nicotine already added to them. I use the first method because it's cheaper, postage is faster, it gives me more control over the level of nicotine, and the Aussie flavours are nicer I think.

So if you want to add nicotine to Aussie juices, buy 5 or 6 different flavoured 'doublers' from the VapourEyes website. Just get the 7.5ml bottles to start with (these will make 15ml juice each) because you might not like the flavours. Get at least a fruity one, a minty/menthol one, a desert type one (chocolate, custard, cake etc), and a tobacco one like 'Caramel Tobacco' or 'Odin's Raven' (honey tobacco) or something. Plus a couple of extras, whatever sounds appealing. You probably won't like the tobacco one, but you never know until you try. You will add nicotine base (from O/S) and VG to these 'doublers' to make your finished juices.

If you want to buy your juices with nicotine already in them, get 5 or 6 small (30ml max) bottles of juice from HiLIQ - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale - this is the same website that you will order your nicotine base from if you decide to get Aussie juices and add nicotine to them. Choose the same sort of mix of flavours (choose an 'RY4' for the tobacco one, plus fruity, menthol, desert etc) and select the nicotine strength of 18mg (perhaps also grab one or two in 12mg incase 18mg is too strong - but you don't have to, coz you can water strong juices down with the VG you ordered from VapourEyes, and you can add a bit of nicotine base to juices that are too weak with the nicotine you'll buy from Hiliq). Choose a ration of 50% PG 50% VG or 40% PG 60% VG for your premixed juices from Hiliq.

(It doesn't hurt to buy a few bottles of this premixed juice AND some Aussie doublers if you decide to go for the Mix Your Own Nic to Aussie Juices route, so you can use the premixed for the first few weeks before you have to worry about mixing your own Aussie stuff. It's cheap and you have to buy your Nic base from Hiliq anyway so chuck a couple of bottles of juice in your cart.)

Now, the nicotine base comes from Hiliq too - you'll want to grab a 100ml bottle of 100mg nicotine in 100% PG base. DO NOT buy their 'pure nicotine' product - this is 100 proof nicotine (ie 1000mg, not the 100mg we want) and is very very dangerous. So, 100ml bottle of 100mg nic in a PG base is what you need (yep, I said it twice coz it's very important!).

Use the code HILIQAUSSIE for 15% off.

Orders from Hiliq take a week to arrive, and stuff from VapourEyes is a bit quicker of course. While you're waiting for all your gear to turn up, check out the AussieVapers forums. It's a really good place to get lots of info and ask questions about Vaping and everyone is really friendly and helpful.

When all your stuff arrives and you're ready to mix nicotine into your Aussie doublers it's nice to be able to check with people on the forum that you've got the measurements right the first few times you do it. There are online calculators that do the measurements for you (Google 'eliquid combining calculator' and choose the first result - that's the one I use), or you can just come onto the forum and ask "so I've got a 7.5ml doubler from VapourEyes and some 100mg nicotine base from Hiliq, and I want to mix my juice up to 18mg strength - how many mils of nicotine base do I add to the bottle before filling it up to the top with my VG?" And someone will tell you

I hope this isn't too confusing!

If it is, just get the T18/Ego AIO and two boxes of their associated replacement coils from VapourEyes, and 6 bottles of premixed e-juice from Hiliq - 3 at 12mg strength and 3 at 18mg strength, and choose 50% PG 50% VG ratio - and ignore the rest, because that will get you started. But you will most likely want the other info sooner or later

Any questions ask me or join the forum and ask everyone!
    Last edited by muscovyduckling; 03-01-17 at 12:00 PM.
    gtadmin, fabricator4, JKL and 18 others like this.

AVF Regular
    good one Ducky !

Also don't forget that those great folks across the ditch in New Zealand can have juice to Aus very very quickly - 3 days (to Melb) for Juice WITH Nicotine or unflavoured Nicotine.. can be a life saver in an emergency Mixology Vapes and The Vape Shop NZ are here on AVF

UPDATE: Jan 2017 There has been a lot of positive comments about the Aspire POCKEX All In one and the Joyetech AIO (All in One) - both at around $30, being very suitable for beginners. Use Vape Assist for find your closest retailer.

Also visiting a bricks and mortar store can really help in getting started.

In Victoria: Wick and Wire, Ace Vape and Victory Vape
    South Australia: VapourEyes
    NSW: The Steamery
    QLD: Ask for recommendations
    WA: Ask for recommendations
    Last edited by 1ynne; 03-01-17 at 10:54 AM. Reason: updated devices

AVF Regular
    Nooice one Ducks.
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Love this! Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I thought ikt would be good to simply the list:

1. Buy a Vaporiser/clearomizer (eCig)
    This doesn't have to be fancy. Its a good idea to buy locally in Australia that way you are covered under ACL warranty.
    The most popular options for newbies is either a Innokin T18, or an Ego AIO, both of which check off option 2.

2. Buy a battery/mod
    This will depend on the vaporiser you choose. Some come as a kit with a battery ready to go.

3. Buy e-juice
    For a newbie the easiest option is to buy juice from overseas that already contains nicotine.

For option 3 there is a vast choice of websites to buy from. Below is a short list of some of the more popular options:
    Mt Barker Vapor (US)
    Heaven Gifts (China)
    Health cabin (China)
    Fasttech (China, very cheap, not as good quality as others)

For cheap hardware/parts you can't go past Fasttech.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_vaper View Post
    I thought ikt would be good to simply the list:

1. Buy a Vaporiser/clearomizer (eCig)
    This doesn't have to be fancy. Its a good idea to buy locally in Australia that way you are covered under ACL warranty.
    The most popular options for newbies is either a Innokin T18, or an Ego AIO, both of which check off option 2.

2. Buy a battery/mod
    This will depend on the vaporiser you choose. Some come as a kit with a battery ready to go.

3. Buy e-juice
    For a newbie the easiest option is to buy juice from overseas that already contains nicotine.

For option 3 there is a vast choice of websites to buy from. Below is a short list of some of the more popular options:
    Mt Barker Vapor (US)
    Heaven Gifts (China)
    Health cabin (China)
    Fasttech (China, very cheap, not as good quality as others)

For cheap hardware/parts you can't go past Fasttech.
    i put myself in a new vapers position and was confused between 1 & 2.

The OP while long (necessarily long) was easy to read and understand, and left no questions unanswered. It was friendly and accommodating in tone. That is what a new vaper needs to read. Not a short sharp list sir.
    Pipey likes this.

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Awesome post Ducky!
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Great post thank you! I'm just going to start sending newbies to this

AVF Regular
    She is going to be impossible with all this positive feedback.... :P
    muscovyduckling and 1ynne like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    well I just thought it is much easier to lead new vapers to read here than type up screeds !

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast