Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Hello from 2012! (Help with gear update)

AVF Regular

Hello from 2012! (Help with gear update)

Looking to update and retire my trusty old gear so i've been catching up on what's what (shoutout to fabricator4 and the mountains of info here in AVF; i jumped back in about a couple weeks ago and just resurfaced today), but still feel like i don't know enough. Even more so on the small things that are really needed in terms of rebuilding. Hoping to put through an order this week from 3fvape or fasttech.

Background
    Vaping for a while now but stuck with gear from a few years back (punched carto tanks era). I kinda found my sweet spot, stocked up and didn't keep up. Go through about 2-4ml/day. How I'd rank it: 1) flavour 2) TH 3) lung hit then 4) some cloudsbro but not truck-sized enough to set off fire alarms (funny story, i did set off one out of curiousity). Currently using Boge cartos on a Provari v1, also have a Reo so not foreign to squonking

My choices
    Mod: RX2/3
    Kinda set on this one now for flexibility. LG HG2 from an Aussie vendor a good choice? Had my eyes on the Radius at first only coz my v1 lasted a fair while. Was also leaning towards an eLeaf PICO kit with the Melo3 or a Kanger Topbox..thoughts?
    RTA: Hurricane, Kayfun 5, Ubertoot, Goblin mini v3, any others to choose from? wanting to buy just the one.
    From the MTL thread, I'd say I prefer an airy MTL experience. Don't mind smaller but prefer higher capacity but not at the expense of flavour.
    Juice: still personal preference or is there a ratio that best suit rtas?
    Others: a kit like this is pretty much necessary right? also, will these wires do? when you were first starting out, how long would this have lasted you? and how long does a typical build last you (ballpark)? as in, my carto would last 5-7 days before flavour drops off. do you only have to change the wick or the coil/s as well and how can you tell when to change what? or does this depend on the juice? lastly (i think), grab organic cotton? and how much will i need given i'll be experimenting to start with?

i think i'm on the right track but not sure if i'm asking the right questions so please chime in about anything you feel like i should know.

Big thanks in advance for your input and helping out this new old vaper!

AVF Regular
    If you want to stick with the MTL type vape you definitely need to avoid all of the sub ohm tanks out there. I like the Kanger Subtanks for their flexibility but I wouldn't say they are ideal for a MTL vaper.

Since you tend to find what works best for you and stay with that long term I'd actually suggest you do much the same thing, but updated technology. Similar to the advice I gave someone in the exact same unique situation only about 6 weeks ago, I think you are onto something with the Radius and the Kayfun.

Buy the Radius and the Kayfun 5 with the Provape P3 connector. It is far superior to the 510 connector in every way - mechanically and electrically.

You'll also need to get the MTL inserts for the K5 from SvoeMesto, about $10.

This is what I would do if I was a MTL vaper and wanted no nonsense quality gear that will go the distance.

The advantage of the Kayfun is that you build the coil and wick them. Wick and wire will always be available so it future proofs your gear. This setup will probably last longer than your 2012 cartos and tanks have, and will never become obsolete due to not being able to get supplies.

Building coils is not difficult, stay with standard Kanthal spaced coils (a la PBusardo).

Supplies you'll need: get some Kanthal wires in 26, 28, and (harder to get but it is around) 29 gauge. Don't buy bulk wire until you work out what works for you. A big packet of Puff organic cotton or Ko Gen Do will last you a couple of years.

A coilmaster coil winding tool might be a big help but is not essential (you can wind quite happily on the shank of 2.5mm and 3.0mm drill bits).

I think you are in for a treat, but once you get in your groove and find your spot again it should be quite possible to put it all on auto same as you did for carto tanks.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-10-16 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Oh, one thing with the Radius is that it's harder to get the battery out than most mods. Provape intended it to be charged via USB most of the time, and battery replacements are for when the battery goes EOL. Some people do swap it out daily though (and curse Provape while doing it, I have no doubt).

The RX2/3 is a great unit, I just don't think the build quality of anything is as good as what Provape puts out.

It depends on whether you are coming back in with a view to making it a hobby (RX2/3) or just want the MTL long haul again (Radius).

Regarding the rebuilding kit: Most of it you don't need, and the coilmaster long shank is better for spaced coils, and if you go the P3 connector the ohmmeter is redundant anyway.

Coilmaster tool: https://www.fasttech.com/p/5978700

Some flush cutters are handy:
    https://www.fasttech.com/p/1243300

And a decent screwdriver, or set of. Something like the good jewlers screwdriver sets that include a 000 Phillips.

Puff cotton:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...otton-wick-for
    I'll revise my estimate - if you rewick once a week it's 10 years supply?
    Some decent scissors to cut the cotton with - I have a good set that lives in my build box alongside the flush cutters.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-10-16 at 08:37 AM.
    AddictRick and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Since you tend to find what works best for you and stay with that long term I'd actually suggest you do much the same thing, but updated technology. Similar to the advice I gave someone in the exact same unique situation only about 6 weeks ago, I think you are onto something with the Radius and the Kayfun.
    i think that was me too lol

It depends on whether you are coming back in with a view to making it a hobby (RX2/3) or just want the MTL long haul again (Radius).
    i have an inkling i'll end up with the radius although i don't mind the journey of trying a few things again to find a good spot or maybe transition to DL and also try sub-ohm so i think rx2/3 gives me flexibility.

I'll revise my estimate - if you rewick once a week it's 10 years supply?
    is rewicking done about once a week and the coil can pretty much stay longer?

thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by AddictRick; 31-10-16 at 02:09 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictRick View Post
    i think that was me too lol
    So it was LOL. I normally remember people's avatars, but yours seems to have gone missing.

i have an inkling i'll end up with the radius although i don't mind the journey of trying a few things again to find a good spot or maybe transition to DL and also try sub-ohm so i think rx2/3 gives me flexibility.
    Certainly. I can probably recommend the Kanger Subtanks and Toptanks to try. They are affordable and very flexible, and good quality for the money. They can use prebuilt coil heads but also come with a rebuildable section that works really well for a loose (ish) MTL or a good DL vape. I also have a Melo 3 (RBA section available separately) and the flavour is excellent, but they require a lot more skill at building and re-wicking. The Kanger stuff really is a clever design.

I'm also playing with a Goblin mini V2 - that thing is a pain in the butt to build. Piece of shhhhhhh. The flavour is amazing though.

is rewicking done about once a week and the coil can pretty much stay longer?

thanks for the replies!
    Yep, that's about it. I normally get 1 to 2 weeks out of a wick. I just pull the wick out and dry burn the coil to clean it, and put another wick in it. I only replace the coil if it gets mangled, or if I'm unhappy with for some other reason. So yeah, they cost cents a month to run really.

ETA: Oh and if you're going to be trying Sub Ohm and DL you'll want to get some thicker wire as well - maybe some 24g. If you got all the wires suggested you'll be able to do almost anything coil wise. If you fancy trying your hand at making claptons get some 32g kanthal, but in my opinion they are not that great for flavour - they just make more surface area for more vapour.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 31-10-16 at 02:28 PM.
    AddictRick likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hello! I like Fab's suggestions.

When I first joined up here before I started Vaping, I asked for suggestions on what to buy, and someone recommended a Provari 2.5. I thought that was a bit insane because they were $200 at the time, so I bought a bunch of other stuff (spent more than $200 I'm sure!) and when I eventually got a 2.5 I wondered why I didn't just do that in the first place

I find the Coilmaster v3 winding tool very very handy so I think that's worth the $10 or whatever it is. I also use the bent tip pointy tweezers quite a bit, and the ceramic tip tweezers too (I build non spaced coils). You will also need scissors and a flush cutter, and screwdrivers of course. I bought the Coilmaster v2 building kit, it cost about $60 to buy locally but I think the individual items would have cost more to purchase separately, and the only thing I don't use from the kit is the ohm meter. I am very pleased with that purchase.

Tanks, well yeah, I like an airy MTL too and my fave tank is the Avocado, but I have never tried any of the high end gear like Kayfuns or Hurricanes. I have a Goblin mini v2 and a Serpent Mini as well, Goblin beats the Serpent mini for flavour, Serpent beats the Goblin for build quality and ease of building, but I think the Avo beats them both - but it can leak if you leave it lying on its side. Maybe the Kayfun 5 is the perfect airy MTL tank? I don't know, but I'm not going to try it either because it's huge

Re: replacing coils and wick - it depends on what liquid you're Vaping as to how often these will need changing. I have a really gunky flavour and I need to change the wick in the every 4-5 days, but I only replace the coil every ~3 weeks, because when you take the wick out to change it you can fire the coil and it burns all the gunky stuff off so it's nice and clean again. After a while of doing that though, the ohms will start to creep up and then you know it's time to build a new coil.

But I also vape unflavoured liquid and that is a whole different kettle of fish, as it doesn't gunk up the wick or coils at all. Can go a long time between changing coils and wick there.
    AddictRick and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Goblin beats the Serpent mini for flavour, Serpent beats the Goblin for build quality and ease of building,
    This Goblin mini I've got, it's a coil chopper. Took me *five* goes to get coils in there. The first two I messed up because I was trying to get them over the air slots, which are in the wrong place - coils go in off centre, but the air slots are in the centre. The next two I gave up on positioning the coils, and the post screws just punched straight through the stainless steel wire like they were made to do it. I'll have to figure out some way of holding the screws so I can take the sharp edges off them. The flavour IS absolutely amazing when you get it going though.

I don't think I've ever missed on making a working coil first time, so on a difficulty level from easy to hard I'd have to rate it "annoying".

AVF Regular
    Me too Fabs. Butchered a couple of coils with those naughty Goblin screws.
    fabricator4 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Certainly. I can probably recommend the Kanger Subtanks and Toptanks to try. They are affordable and very flexible, and good quality for the money. They can use prebuilt coil heads but also come with a rebuildable section that works really well for a loose (ish) MTL or a good DL vape. I also have a Melo 3 (RBA section available separately) and the flavour is excellent, but they require a lot more skill at building and re-wicking. The Kanger stuff really is a clever design.
    Toptank looks impressive in the reviews (but they're just so subjective). Replaced the Hurricane in my cart with it and hope loose (ish) MTL turns out to be the airy MTL i'm seeking.

dry burn the coil to clean it
    oh sounds like ye olde ikv atties

ETA: Oh and if you're going to be trying Sub Ohm and DL you'll want to get some thicker wire as well - maybe some 24g. If you got all the wires suggested you'll be able to do almost anything coil wise.
    24, 26, 28 check

Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Hello! I like Fab's suggestions.

When I first joined up here before I started Vaping, I asked for suggestions on what to buy, and someone recommended a Provari 2.5. I thought that was a bit insane because they were $200 at the time, so I bought a bunch of other stuff (spent more than $200 I'm sure!) and when I eventually got a 2.5 I wondered why I didn't just do that in the first place
    heh kinda like me way back when - the friend that got me into vaping was using a Provari v1 and i wanted to just copy his setup down to the drip atties. he tried to talk me out of it and told me to just start with an eGo which i did but it just wasn't as good compared to vaping on his setup. probably lasted a month before i got my own provari.

I find the Coilmaster v3 winding tool very very handy so I think that's worth the $10 or whatever it is. I also use the bent tip pointy tweezers quite a bit, and the ceramic tip tweezers too (I build non spaced coils). You will also need scissors and a flush cutter, and screwdrivers of course. I bought the Coilmaster v2 building kit, it cost about $60 to buy locally but I think the individual items would have cost more to purchase separately, and the only thing I don't use from the kit is the ohm meter. I am very pleased with that purchase.
    kind of my reasoning as well so took yours and fab's recommendations and got a little fuller kit than what i mentioned earlier.

Tanks, well yeah, I like an airy MTL too and my fave tank is the Avocado, but I have never tried any of the high end gear like Kayfuns or Hurricanes. I have a Goblin mini v2 and a Serpent Mini as well, Goblin beats the Serpent mini for flavour, Serpent beats the Goblin for build quality and ease of building, but I think the Avo beats them both - but it can leak if you leave it lying on its side. Maybe the Kayfun 5 is the perfect airy MTL tank? I don't know, but I'm not going to try it either because it's huge
    had the Avocado in the cart but got the Kayfun 5 in the end due to stock :/

Re: replacing coils and wick - it depends on what liquid you're Vaping as to how often these will need changing. I have a really gunky flavour and I need to change the wick in the every 4-5 days, but I only replace the coil every ~3 weeks, because when you take the wick out to change it you can fire the coil and it burns all the gunky stuff off so it's nice and clean again. After a while of doing that though, the ohms will start to creep up and then you know it's time to build a new coil.
    the daily things involved like these are probably least talked about in videos. btw, what juice and what ratio is it?

i feel like i'm set thanks to you guys. here's what i've ordered:
    from FT i got rx2/3, toptank mini, SKX Kayfun 5, wires (24, 26 and 28), puff cotton and the toolkit. from vapoureyes 3x LG HG2 and more juice from MVNZ

now comes the long wait (giddy). will update when they arrive...i'll probably have more questions then lol
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    You won't regret getting the Kayfun. I should probably get one but, $$$

For FT we should have told you to pay the extra $2 for express shipping, hopefully you did that anyway. It can make the difference between two weeks and two months, sometimes. Hopefully FT has the stock and it ships right away.

The Toptank mini with the RBA and your own coils in it will be a pretty good airy MTL, it works for me. I always had a bit of a problem with the draw on cartos and clearos that got their air from the 510 - There was only so much you can open them up with a drill (I used to put a 1mm drill bit through the air ports on most things but the connector was often the problem).

There's also an after market AFC base for the Kanger tanks which only has the hole on one side, not both. It's a little tighter, too tight for me. It also has an "off" blanked off position which could be modified to be whatever you want if you have a drill press.

MTL works on these because the RBA section is so small, and the top cap on the chamber concentrates the vapour. This is why I say the Toptanks + RBA makes it a very flexible tank.

You really are in a for treat I think, once you figure out the coiling and wicking. I think the Kanger will much easier to build on, but I'd expect the Kayfun to be a very good performer once you get it running right.
    AddictRick likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast