• 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 3 Post By Northerner
  • 2 Post By Hoofprint
  • 2 Post By muscovyduckling
  • 2 Post By Northerner

Thread: Started smoking in my dreams..

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Started smoking in my dreams..

So really, it was a pretty intense dream.. bit of time travel and sci fi involved. Trying to catch trains to get back to time point and some of those trains lost their flooring meaning I was holding onto a side bar tightly... looking for apartment rooms in strange cities etc.. ugh no wonder I needed a ciggie! Although I did have my mod with me so I interchanged between scabbing smokes and vaping in my dream.
    Then this morning after literally forcing myself out of this mental sci-fi series I have been craving a cigarette so bad! I stopped them 1 month ago! I've just survived my nieces 21st, there was 1 smoker so she'd come and hang with me while I vaped. She asked for all the info on vaping so hopefully she joins our forum soon.. so that's something positive I can take from a really shitty day. Nothing bad even happened! It was a withdrawl day thanks to a ridiculous dream!

AVF Regular
    I have smoking dreams all the time.

As an aside, odd dreams are listed as a side effect of nicotine patches. Not sure if it applies to vaping.

The cig cravings get further apart. I keep dripper bottles of extra strength unflavoured eliquid for those times. Roughly double my usual nic. Sometimes more.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Hoofprint likes this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    As your Alien overlord,
    i command thee "You Will Not Smoke, under penalty of a Space neutering (same as earth just involves teeth)"

the old smoker dreams, been a while since ive had one of them.
    dont worry given enough time, they will change to vape dreams about what size coil to vape
    muscovyduckling likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjii View Post
    So really, it was a pretty intense dream.. bit of time travel and sci fi involved. Trying to catch trains to get back to time point and some of those trains lost their flooring meaning I was holding onto a side bar tightly... looking for apartment rooms in strange cities etc.. ugh no wonder I needed a ciggie! Although I did have my mod with me so I interchanged between scabbing smokes and vaping in my dream.
    Then this morning after literally forcing myself out of this mental sci-fi series I have been craving a cigarette so bad! I stopped them 1 month ago! I've just survived my nieces 21st, there was 1 smoker so she'd come and hang with me while I vaped. She asked for all the info on vaping so hopefully she joins our forum soon.. so that's something positive I can take from a really shitty day. Nothing bad even happened! It was a withdrawl day thanks to a ridiculous dream!

If you have problems with vivid dreaming, it might help to taper off the nicotine in the evening. Some people really enjoy the vivid dreaming, but it probably depends on the nature of the dreams. For you at the moment, your subconscious wants it's ciggie so that's what you get. A tank with some lower nicotine juice you can switch to in the late evening might be all you need.

For the withdrawals, yeah it can come back to bite you for a period. It helps a little bit to understand what is going on. There's a saying about tobacco withdrawals: 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. Everyone is a little bit different, so the timing can vary a bit. Talk to 10 vapers and you'll get 10 different stories - the following is pretty well all of it in the worst case - most people do not get all of them, or any of them real bad.

3 day withdrawals are straight out nicotine withdrawals. It's the climbing up the wall gotta have the first ciggie of the day frantic madness that is the reason most serious quit attempts with cold turkey and NRT only last this long. Fortunately this nicotine is easily supplied by vaping so the three day withdrawal doesn't usually happen. Most NRT is too slow so it's not satisfying. Vaping is fast so it's a pretty fair substitution when you get your levels right, so most vapers skip this one.

3 week withdrawals come basically down to habit and the subconscious. You find yourself looking for your smokes when you are about to leave the house, you have smoking fulfilment daydreams, you obsess about smoking and what you miss about it. Your subconscious doesn't know you are giving up so that you can live to see your grand kids born; it just knows that it needs it's pacifier. Your subconscious, basically, is an ass. It's why most serious quit attempts using NRT only last this long. Fortunately vaping can help with this too. You have shiny toys to play with, carry, buy. A lot of vapers go through a transition at this time. Buy a new mod, learn how to coil, mix juice. It's where vaping becomes a hobby instead of just a smoking cessation tool. It's a distraction tool for a much more dangerous habit. Mostly it's very successful. I can remember when I was in this period I once spent five minutes trying to find my tobacco pouch before I left for work. I felt relieved when I realised it was the mod I was looking for, not the tobacco, and I didn't have to smoke. Over time the subconscious adjusts and leaves you alone. Hopefully the situations you find yourself in are more humorous than distressing. Get it right and vaping is a good replacement for smoking but for now keep in mind it's tobacco trying to claw you back. Someone said to me at this point "Smoking is not your friend". She was right - smoking was a psychopath who was pretending to be my friend so he could kill me slowly while the tobacco company and government emptied my wallet.

3 months. And now we come to the real nasty sting in the tail that tobacco has. You see, there's more in tobacco that is addictive than just nicotine - there's a whole other range of alkaloids that enhance nicotine's effects and may themselves be highly addictive. These WTA's (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids) are not usually supplied by vaping since the only tobacco alkaloid in there is the nicotine. Now some vapers seem to skip this step altogether so there's a lot of debate as to how addictive WTA's are and what role they play in tobacco addiction. I can say from my point of view it's a definite thing 'cause I had it bad, and it's why some vapers turn to WTA liquids which used to be really hard to get (from the states) or use smokeless tobaccos like snus (even harder to get thanks to an insane prohibition against smokeless tobacco in Australia). Personally I got through this by using DIY mixing as a distraction, and using strong tobacco vapes to fool my brain into thinking it was getting what it wanted. It worked - I didn't smoke.

Now some people have disagreed with what I've written above. That's because not everyone experiences it the same, or with the same timing. A lot of people skip some or even all of them - Usually new vapers are delighted to find that they completely skip the first one, and the last one never shows up either.

Now, a very important question for you: When you were around the smoker at the party, how did the tobacco smoke smell to you?
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-11-16 at 10:05 AM.
    Northerner and Hoofprint like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Great point about the WTA's fabricator.

In my first 6 months full time vaping I smoked the occasional cigarette. Hell, I even smoked one just a few months ago when I forgot my vape and went to a party. In my eyes there's no point in torturing myself over something I want like that when it really isn't going to make any difference, I've smoked 10's of 10000's or ciggies over the years and vaping works for me. One smoke isn't going to make any difference and all it is is a good reminder of how disgusting cigarettes actually are. Just by smoking one smoke (or trying to anyway, almost impossible to finish), quickly breaks any fantasies I may have had about them and re-affirms vaping as my new preferred way of taking nicotine.

So what I'm saying is if you want a smoke, have a smoke. You won't like it and then you won't have to want it anymore either.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Regular
    poor joke reply aside.
    when i first quit, just before i went to bed i did the opposite of fabs advice.

I would chain pull 4 or 5 ecig puffs, just enough to feel if i had one more id get dizzy.
    bit of a remnant from my smoking days since i always had one at bedtime.

i said to person once smoking and vaping nicotine is like coffee.
    nic from smoking is mcdonalds coffee, you pay the price drink it in one go before it turns bad, and throw away the cup
    nic from vaping is coffee at home, you pay a lesser price but you can always refill the cup or keep topping it up.

Some people like me just need to carry a full cup with them as they are doing an action.
    Last edited by Hoofprint; 06-11-16 at 09:58 AM.
    fabricator4 and Northerner like this.

AVF Regular
    Oh that's funny, I had a dream last night that some catastrophic event happened and the world was in chaos, and everyone was trying to steal my Provaris
    gtadmin and Northerner like this.

AVF Regular
    End of the world survival kit.

Silver, bullets and Provari's.

gtadmin and muscovyduckling like this.
    "Go away and come back when you understand better." he said. He would not let me pass.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Oh that's funny, I had a dream last night that some catastrophic event happened and the world was in chaos, and everyone was trying to steal my Provaris
    Not the provaris!!!
    Was time travel involved? Were you produced with old photos to find the resemblance of ppl you now know? Haha.. totally kidding but my dream was totally crazy like that.
    I'm relieved that I didn't have to worry about someone stealing my gadget as well!