• 1 Post By Fatman
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By Littleraf

Thread: What 18650 to choose

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

What 18650 to choose

Hi,

I have been vaping on a cool fire 4 tc100 but thinking of upgrading to a stronger mod with external batteries. I haven't used this kind before and just wondering what be the best choice of 18650 batteries.

Where i get my vaping stuff from has these.

Sony VTC4 18650 Battery
    Samsung 25R 18650 Battery
    LG HG2 18650 Battery

Which one of these would be best or would it be better to get a better one from another supplier

Thanks in advance for any help.

AVF Regular
    I recently bought some Sony US18650 VTC5 2600mAh 30 Amp batteries from http://stores.ebay.com.au/supersports600/

Quick shipping and great product.

Also check out this chart for info on the better battries.
    Last edited by toofargone; 12-11-16 at 10:33 AM.

Super Moderator
    OK without getting too complex on you all three are good quality batteries and depending on what mod you buy and the proposed Amp draw you pull from them will be fine for most cases ...

With 18650 batteries of this quality you basically have 2 directions you go in ... larger capacity ( mA) which often has a lower peak Amp draw , or higher Amp rating which has a lower mA capacity

the Samsung has 2500mA and a 20A max continuous discharge ( 25 peak for short bursts )
    the Sony has 2100 and a 30 amp peak
    the LG has 3000mA and a 20A discharge

So for longer lasting between charges you want the highest capacity of the three as long as your build doesnt exceed the max discharge of the one you select.
    Mega coils pulling big amps benefit more from higher discharge like the Sony but you pay the price in more charges due to the lower capacity.

If you are a regular vaper not pulling super sick low builds then the LG choccies will give you the longest run per charge ... but all three will be good in regular builds
    fabricator4 likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    HG2 is 20A 3000mAh
    25R is 20A 2500mAh
    VTC4 is 30A 2000mAh
    (Battery Mooch tested figures)

For most regulated mods 20 amps is fine, so the HG2 would appear to be the pick. VTC4 might be better for mechanical mods running low ohm coils.

I have the 25Rs and and HE4s (20A 2500mAh) and they are both fine. The Samsung batteries don't seem to get targeted by the counterfeiters so much, partly because the three hole positive cap is harder to replicate so counterfeits are easy to spot. Most everything else has four vent holes.

ETA: all of these batteries are safe chemistry batteries, which is why they are recommended. Counterfeits could be (and often are) cheaper and less safe ICR chemistry.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 12-11-16 at 10:42 AM.
    Fatman likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    OK without getting too complex on you all three are good quality batteries and depending on what mod you buy and the proposed Amp draw you pull from them will be fine for most cases ...

With 18650 batteries of this quality you basically have 2 directions you go in ... larger capacity ( mA) which often has a lower peak Amp draw , or higher Amp rating which has a lower mA capacity

the Samsung has 2500mA and a 20A max continuous discharge ( 25 peak for short bursts )
    the Sony has 2100 and a 30 amp peak
    the LG has 3000mA and a 20A discharge

So for longer lasting between charges you want the highest capacity of the three as long as your build doesnt exceed the max discharge of the one you select.
    Mega coils pulling big amps benefit more from higher discharge like the Sony but you pay the price in more charges due to the lower capacity.

If you are a regular vaper not pulling super sick low builds then the LG choccies will give you the longest run per charge ... but all three will be good in regular builds
    I am thinking of getting the SMOK Alien 220W Mod so would any of those batteries i mentioned be a good choice for that mod?

AVF Regular
    im biased, i always will be a samsung man.
    ive vented 4 batteries vaping, 1 efest, 1 30q and 2 25r's.

It might not be the same for everyone else but the samsungs are alot more forgiving when you do something stupid.
    My sammy's got red hot and fluid leaked out of the top cap that's it.

i run 25rs from anything down to 0.1 (dual) and 30q's down to 0.3/4 (dual).
    love the pink smurfs, hard to find but worth every penny.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JezaBrad87 View Post
    I am thinking of getting the SMOK Alien 220W Mod so would any of those batteries i mentioned be a good choice for that mod?
    It is the BUILD ( or the coil ) that determines the strain on the battery, the mod just supplies it to the coil ( with some wastage in regulated mods like the Smok )

If you are building super low coils 0.15 ohm or less ? then you are going to want 30A discharge batts to err on the safe side
    above 0.3 ohm any of your choices should be fine

It really depends on how MUCH of your mods capacity you are going to use ... you can buy a Smok Alien 220W , but if you only tootle puff on a 1.3 ohm coil at 12W then you dont need a spiffy battery

The key is buying the BEST cells you can , and those choices you listed fit that criteria ... basically if you are going UBER performance/High Watts go the LG otherwise grab the bigger capacity mA ones for longer vaping times
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    It is the BUILD ( or the coil ) that determines the strain on the battery, the mod just supplies it to the coil ( with some wastage in regulated mods like the Smok )

If you are building super low coils 0.15 ohm or less ? then you are going to want 30A discharge batts to err on the safe side
    above 0.3 ohm any of your choices should be fine

It really depends on how MUCH of your mods capacity you are going to use ... you can buy a Smok Alien 220W , but if you only tootle puff on a 1.3 ohm coil at 12W then you dont need a spiffy battery

The key is buying the BEST cells you can , and those choices you listed fit that criteria ... basically if you are going UBER performance/High Watts go the LG otherwise grab the bigger capacity mA ones for longer vaping times
    The SMOK Alien comes with the TFV8 Baby Beast tank which i also have been using with the 0.15ohm coils so with what you are saying i should get 30A discharge so that would be the sony as the samsung has 20A discharge

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JezaBrad87 View Post
    The SMOK Alien comes with the TFV8 Baby Beast tank which i also have been using with the 0.15ohm coils so with what you are saying i should get 30A discharge so that would be the sony as the samsung has 20A discharge
    You won't be able to run the Smok Alien that hard on such a low build. It will limit the current so you won't get the full output - most regulated mods have a resistance sweet spot where they may *approach* the manufacturers maximum rating. Any of the batteries will be fine, but the 30 amp batteries will give the maximum output for longer because the voltage won't sag so much.

Tech background: high current batteries have lower internal resistance, so they don't heat up as much - that's the main reason they can handle higher current. Lower internal resistance means less battery sag at a given current drain as well.
    Fatman likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Just speaking from my experience in choosing a battery like 2 days ago. I know I don't above 8amps in the builds/coils I use even in TC so I was always going to be well within the limits of the popular batteries. So I was researching the longer lasting one and after reading the mooch's comparisons of the lg and vtc6 I settled on the Sony. I haven't ordered yet (waiting on confirmation of my mod shipping first) but I'll be going through Supersports.
    Fatman likes this.