Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By DogMan
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By toofargone

Thread: Battery Orientation in a Mech Mod?

AVF Regular

Battery Orientation in a Mech Mod?

Hi AVF,

Let me start by saying that I have done lots of research before I even thought about purchasing a mech mod. Since then I have acquired a (good) SMPL clone that I have been using without issue for some months now and have a few other mechs on the way (such as a timekeeper clone). Now my SMPL clone has venting on the bottom of the switch and I had to ask myself about battery orientation after watching this review video of the Timekeeper mod - https://youtu.be/c6dIVt-_PGA?t=8m10s. Notice how he states that as his venting is on the bottom, he inverts his battery so that the positive side faces the venting holes.

From my research I have found that inverting batteries in a mech is generally considered a bad idea as it changes the negative charge of the tube to a positive charge and if the battery wrap is damaged can cause a short. I was wondering if this applies to all mods or if certain characteristics of a mod make it more suitable to battery inversion.

I am only asking as I would like to keep my mod as safe and as cool as possible and if there is a possibility of doing so by facing my battery towards the vent holes I would potentially like to do so.

So my question is - is it ok to invert batteries in mech mods? if so would it be safe on my smpl clone? what about the timekeeper (as mentioned/practised in the video)?

Cheers in advance.

AVF Regular
    Full metal or conductive tubes, where the side of the battery touches the path of current should only be put in one way.

Something like a wood mod with battery contacts on either end, but the path of current concealed by the non conductive material can be safely oriented either way.

Hope that made sense.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Crisscross and bk_renesis like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    A couple of things:

Your wrap has to be in perfect condition. Do not put your battery into a metal tube if the wrap is damaged in any way. If you have a battery with a damaged wrap that you want to use, it's pretty easy to re-wrap a battery. All you need is a packet of wraps from Fasttech or your favourite vendor and a hair dryer. An extra security feature is that the pressure plate on the switch/base that tightens down on the battery *must* be insulated. With both the insulation on the battery and the insulation on the pressure plate intact you are perfectly safe.

The second thing is on base switches that have a short throw, you have to make sure the +ive plate does not protrude enough to cause a closed switch condition when you just screw it on. Most flat top batteries are going to be fine as the +ive only protrudes at most a fraction of a millimetre but you need to look and make sure this is the case. Using inverted nipple tops or a vape fuse on these devices can be a real problem.

It's very correct that venting in the base of the tube may not work if the batteries are inserted with +ive to the top, because the battery vents are on the top, and a damaged battery will swell to choke the tube if it's getting ready to vent - you've basically just assembled a cannon. I'd recommend doing it, but you have to look at and think about your switch connection as carefully as you think about your hybrid connection and the battery wrap *must* be in perfect condition and inspected each and every time you assemble the mod.

If you think you are likely to forget to inspect the battery wrap each and every time, then do not do it.

Just to be clear and to restate the wrap issue in a different way: If the wrap is damaged and the outer case touches *anywhere* in the tube or the cap, it's a ready made short waiting to happen. As soon as you press the button it closes the short between the contact point on the case straight through the switch to the +-ve cap.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 21-11-16 at 02:10 PM.
    DogMan likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Cheers for the replies guys.

This is my mod

Inside

The switch

Battery

All good apart from some light scratching on the base presumably from contact with the switch.

So taking the above into consideration, should my battery be okay positive side down in this mod?

AVF Regular
    My main concern is the short throw on the SMPL switch. If it fires when you screw the bottom cap on, or if the throw is too short to be safe, don't use it that way.

Main problems with the battery wrap are likely to be the top and bottom edges. eg. if the bottom cap has sharp edges around the outside that might cut or wear the insulation off the battery.
    DogMan and jacksonmate like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    IMO there shouldn't be a need to invert the battery. If it vents it will still vent down the tube and through the vent holes.

The only situation which would stop the venting flowing is if the battery swells to a size that would stop gas escaping down the length of the tube and out the holes.

If the battery is swelling that much then no matter which way the battery is installed you're going to be in trouble.

Best go for the safest option with mech mods, explosions aren't pretty.
    jacksonmate likes this.