Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: First vape - mixed results

Xbb
    AVF Regular

First vape - mixed results

Hi guys

Just vaped 2 ml of my first batch with my new kit and results are a bit mixed.
    I made up 10 ml of 12 mg strength nic with a pg/vg ratio of 60/40 using a strawberry cheesecake doubler from JW.
    Nic was purchased from Hiliq.
    Equipment used was my brand new Coolfire IV with a nautilus mini tank.

Flavour is very bland. I was in VW mode and changing constantly between 10 -18 watts back and forth with not much change to the taste. Coil is the 1.8 ohm BVC that comes preinstalled. (Mod reads 1.93).
    I would descibe the taste as very low in flavour. Not a burnt taste I don't think, just very bland. My first inclination is to add another 1ml of flavour to the 8ml I have left but wanted to check if there is something else I should try first.

Some possible reasons that come to mind:
    10-18 watts is not the ideal range to get flavours out of a vape with my setup.
    Didn't leave flavours long enough to settle before mixing. (6 days since putting in order)
    Didn't leave my mix long enough to settle before vaping (24 hours)
    I'm using a dud coil
    Bad taste buds due to smoking history.

On the positive side I was able to come up with a slow inhale technique that didn't result in to much coughing unless I inhaled too quickly.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers

AVF Regular
    Yes you can use more flavour if you want to at this stage. Also try some different flavours. Strawberry is a funny one, flavour wise. Cheesecake can get stronger up to two weeks after you mix the nicotine in, and this is common with a lot of creamy type vapes.

You might be better off with some stronger and more robust flavours. For now your senses of taste and smell are going to take some time to recover.

The sense of taste on it's own is only able to taste basic things - sweet, sour, bitter, salty etc. Most of what we think of as the sense of "taste" is actually the sense of smell, and the sense of smell is what suffers the most from smoking. Give it some time.

If you can do nose exhales after the inhale, you may be able to get more flavour. That is particular the case for strawberry. It's also a better way to absorb nicotine.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-11-16 at 12:42 AM.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    What Fab said.

If you can wait, let the liquid sit for a little longer to settle itself out. If you can't wait add a little more flavour and chew it all up.

At the moment I've got a pear/raspberry thing going that shouldn't really need much if any time to settle in, but goes from 'ok' to 'wow' after a couple of days. Smooths out, the subtleties of the pear with the kick of the raspberry initially and caramel finish come out and the cool after taste from the koolada finish it off. To start, it's gutless with hints of yuck.

I sound like a wanker writing that, and this is the third batch of this stuff I've done. The first day is "why did I make this again?" and the last half of the bottle is "I can't wait to make more!". Must be killing my memory too as I've done the "bad-to-good" dance each time now...

Stu.
    Cath Mort likes this.

AVF Regular
    Did you use 5ml of the doubler in the 10ml batch?

I think some people have trouble with strawberry vapes.....as in, they cant taste it. I don't suppose you bought some other
    flavours you can try to make sure that isn't the case here?

edit - lol I just read fabs comment and he has said pretty much the same thing with regard to the strawberry. I didnt see that
    before sorry.
    Last edited by Tara; 22-11-16 at 03:40 AM.
    fabricator4 and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Not much too add except that I've never had much luck with strawberry flavors myself.

As for the inhale technique...that'll all change. As you get used to vaping it'll become easier and less irritating to your throat.
    fabricator4 likes this.
    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”
    ― Charles Bukowski

Xbb
    AVF Regular
    Hi guys. Many thanks for the responses.

I've also got Musk stick, Banana cream, Purple crunch (violet crumble), lemonade, and a sample of chocolate milkshake.

I'll give the musk stick a go. Also got someone coming around who started vaping a couple of days ago so I'll be able to get a second opinion.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xbb View Post
    I made up 10 ml of 12 mg strength nic with a pg/vg ratio of 60/40 using a strawberry cheesecake doubler from JW.
    Nic was purchased from Hiliq.
    Equipment used was my brand new Coolfire IV with a nautilus mini tank.

Flavour is very bland ...
    As Tara asked above, can you confirm you used 5ml of the doubler when you made up the 10ml batch please? Just checking mate

I don't have an iPhone
    Last edited by gtadmin; 22-11-16 at 08:24 AM.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Xbb
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    As Tara asked above, can you confirm you used 5ml of the doubler when you made up the 10ml batch please? Just checking mate

I don't have an iPhone
    Nic is 100 mg -60pg/40vg
    Flavours are 50pg/50vg doublers

Made 10ml of 12 mg juice with a pg/vg ratio of 60/40:
    1.2 ml nic
    1.0 ml vg
    2.8 ml pg
    5 ml doubler
    gtadmin, LimeB and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xbb View Post
    Hi guys. Many thanks for the responses.

I've also got Musk stick, Banana cream, Purple crunch (violet crumble), lemonade, and a sample of chocolate milkshake.

I'll give the musk stick a go. Also got someone coming around who started vaping a couple of days ago so I'll be able to get a second opinion.
    Musk is probably a good choice. You can't get away from musk LOL

The Banana cream might need a good long steep - that was my experience with it generally.

Do you like peppermints and menthols? Even if you don't, menthols are great when you are starting out though most people avoid them.

You should be getting a satisfying throat hit from the vape. If you are not, if you feel something is missing, you might need to increase the nicotine a little.
    stylemessiah likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Ii seems weird that after smoking (in my case for 35+ years) vaping makes you cough, but to your throat it's a different thing. It should settle down after a few days. In other words it's normal. I started vaping with a cold, and even then it was maybe 3 days before things settled down.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast