Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Vape gear maintenance

AVF Regular

Vape gear maintenance

Another one of my little reminders. When you use modern Vape gear with its top fill and longer lasting coils it is really easy to forget to check everything is kept clean and in good working order. So many newer vapers seem to have their main device with limited backups, so a bit of pre disaster maintenance may save you some stress later on.

I think it's a good idea to set yourself a little schedule of cleaning. Driptips, tanks etc. Grab yourself some little round brushes and give them a good clean. I don't recommend boiling water unless you have carefully removed your orings (they stretch). Take your tank apart and clean out all the build up and old eliquid.

And then maintenance of your coils, tanks and mods. Regularly clean all connections and threads, on both your tanks and mods, check all orings on your tank are in good shape and not distorted or damaged and rewick/change your coils before it actually starts to taste off.

Check your batteries for any damage to their wraps. If you are still using ego type chargers for any of your gear...give,their connections a quick clean with isopropyl alcohol.

Keep your eliquid bottles clean and if you reuse then sterilise before use.

I am sure there are a lot more suggestions out there.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 23-11-16 at 11:51 AM.
    Fatman, btobw, DogMan and 7 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Great tips XX !

What are your thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners?
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonmate View Post
    Great tips XX !

What are your thoughts on ultrasonic cleaners?
    I don't have one personally but others seem to like them.
    I suppose I should mention rinsing any soap residue off properly.
    jacksonmate likes this.

AVF Regular
    I use Milton tablets (used to sanitize baby bottles etc). It's technically a no rinse required solution. I let my stuff soak for a few hours then air dry on a clean tea towel. If it's good enough to sanitize stuff for a baby and doesn't require rinsing before use then it's good enough for my use

I do this with all my DIY mixing tools like bottles, syringes and needles.

Xbb
    AVF Regular
    "Little round brushes" - any chance of a picture or description of size you are talking about here. Also where to source?

"Keep your eliguid bottles clean and if you reuse then sterilise first" - what do you use as a steriliser?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xbb View Post
    "Little round brushes" - any chance of a picture or description of size you are talking about here. Also where to source?

"Keep your eliguid bottles clean and if you reuse then sterilise first" - what do you use as a steriliser?
    Something like this

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...rush-kit-for-e

And I use Milton (baby bottle steriliser). Although I tend to add a 5 pack of new bottles to my Fasttech orders. It's cheaper than a box and they bulk out the package for a bit of shipping protection for the gear you really want.
    ybnice and Cat like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Sodium Percarb is also good for cleaning although its not a 'no rinse' soloution. We use it a lot in the home brew industry and can be found at any good home brew store.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    If you are after a good no rinse sanitiser keep a look out for a product called star san. Great no rinse sanitiser.
    Last edited by Fents; 24-11-16 at 11:45 AM.

AVF Regular
    If you're using mech mods it might be wise to check the pin on your atty to make sure it's still protruding as it should.

AVF Regular
    Milton (or similar) or Steradent (or similar)?

Milton is supposed to work for milk and sterilise, but we always nuked the bottles in a special box for the purpose. Steradent, maybe not sterile but intended for older mouth parts?

I wash everything in boiled water (not boiling) and/or ethanol and keep things clean each time they come apart. Much easier with the newer, bigger and more open stuff than with the old clearomizer crap.

Spares on spares and tend toward rebuildable stuff as well as borosilicate glass, stainless steel and silicone seals. I guess the next step is toward changeable batteries...

Eventually I'd really like to be able to have autoclave ready gear. I don't have an autoclave, but those baby bottle microwave boxes are essentially that without the pressure. Bottles fresh out were well over 100C and the other bits were all fine with the temps in there.

Stu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast