Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: a little overwhelmed.. help?!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

a little overwhelmed.. help?!

Hi,
    There is way too much information that i am feeling a little overwhelmed. I've tried vaping before; i have used cigalikes (Halo and Greensmoke) which did nothing for me, and I've tried an ego - t. This is going back maybe 3 years ago. I'm ready to get off the smokes, and i need some help with a new kit. I have read that neither of the above mentioned gear is going to help me quit the stinkys, so i was hoping i could get some advice for some good gear that will give me the nic hit i need to help me quit. Also when it comes to juice... what nic level would be appropriate.. i'm a pack a day (25) smoker on 6mg.
    Cheers
    RyanohRyan and ybnice like this.

AVF Regular
    Welcome

Cigalikes are useless.

18mg/ml might be a good starting level and go from there. Perhaps buy a couple of liquids in different levels to find out whats best for you.

How good are you mixing things in precise measurements? If you think you can then you could look at diy liquids. A lot of people vape unflavored liquids so you would only need to buy some pg/vg/nic. There are heaps of people here to ask questions to.

You cant buy liquid with nic in australia so mixology in nz is a good place to get liquid from to start.

There are plenty of decent starter kits to get for under $50. Something like Kanger EVOD starter kit or Kanger EMOW starter kit would be ideal. I started on the emow.

Good luck Ask heaps of questions here. You will be well looked after around here.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by toofargone; 28-11-16 at 02:48 PM.
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    Hi Rach

Yes the newer devices are much better than the older stuff. If you really want to give up smoking you'll be surprised at how easy it is.

The Endura T18 is a handy device. There's also a larger version with a much bigger battery, the Endura T22

A little bit cheaper is the Joytech AIO which is also very popular. It has a larger battery than the T18 but it does not have interchangeable tanks.

Whichever one you buy you will also need some spare coils for it. Figure on using about one per week - it depends on how much you vape and what types of liquids you use in it.

Mixology in NZ is a good place to get e-liquids with nicotine in them quickly. Try a few different flavours as you may not know what you are going to like. Some start off with tobacco flavours and move to bakery or fruit flavours. 18mg/ml is a good starting point for a lot of people. Maybe get some 12mg/ml as well in case it is too strong. You can also mix the two together if they are the same flavour to get levels that are in between, for example if you want to try some at 15mg/ml or 16mg/ml...

Later on you may want to get some liquid nicotine from Hiliq. A lot of us buy from there as the price and quality is very good. This high concentration nicotine (100mg/ml) is then mixed with ready to vape (RTV) liquids you can get from Australian vendors like VapourEyes, Five Ten, Aussie Ecigs etc. This works out much cheaper and is relatively easy to do.

Before long you will need a second device as backup in case something happens to your main device and to use while it is charging. Accidents can and do happen - you can drop it and smash the glass, or it can stop working so it becomes really important to have backups. You can leave it for a little bit to see how that device works for you, but don't leave it too long. Compared to smoking these devices are pretty cheap really.

The two devices we suggest for starters are very easy to use and just work. Stick around and ask any questions - there's no silly questions ('cept the ones you don't ask).
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    there's no silly questions ('cept the ones you don't ask).
    Or the ones I ask :-)

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thanks guys.. I'll check them out. Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the pen shaped ones you have suggested and the boxy ones with the led screens on them? Is it just battery power? A better vape or a faster Nic absorption?
    Last edited by Rach78; 28-11-16 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    stylemessiah likes this.

AVF Regular
    The small pen types are easy as they have basic settings that don't require a lot of knowledge to use.

The bigger devices have more settings, but also require a bit more knowledge to use, can be more expensive, and can offer more chances of things going wrong. Battery life depends on how you have the device set up.

IMO start with the smaller pen type devices. Find a liquid flavor and nic strength combo you like and spend a month or so vaping on it. Spend some time here reading up on the ins and outs of vaping and then you can see if you want to move up to a different device with more options.

Mods as they are called can be relatively cheap or really expensive. I went from a small EMOW device to pen type 15W mod, then up to what I have now.

If you have a good experience when you start, you'll be more likely to continue with vaping. Have a bad experience with advanced gear and you'll likely give up.
    Last edited by toofargone; 28-11-16 at 06:35 PM.
    fabricator4 and stylemessiah like this.

AVF Regular
    [Or the ones I ask :-)]

Now you're just being silly.

Great advice though.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Have a look at mixology in NZ and find a nice sounding liquid and buy a small bottle.

What kind of things do you like to eat / drink. Do you like sweets? Do you like desserts? Do you want to vape a tobacco flavor? We might be able to point out a liquid that you might like.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach78 View Post
    Thanks guys.. I'll check them out. Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the pen shaped ones you have suggested and the boxy ones with the led screens on them? Is it just battery power? A better vape or a faster Nic absorption?
    Yes, keep it simple to start with. The larger box devices quite often take 18650 batteries which you have to buy separately, plus you need a charger. They are more configurable so will work with a wider range of tanks and coil resistances to produce more vapour. The main thing people need to stop smoking is something that works kind of similar to a cigarette as far as the draw and satisfaction goes. For most people the simple mouth to lung devices like the AIO and th T18/22 fit the bill.

If you decide you want more vapour later we can advise you what kinds of sub ohm (coils with a resistance lower than one ohm) devices might be suitable. The reason we don't recommend them straight out of the gate is that vapour is thicker and heavier than smoke. Most people need a bit of an adjustment period to get used to the differences and get happy with their new smoke free lifestyle. Once your lungs recover a bit and you are used to things you might be ready for a cloud generator; it's not for everyone though.

Take your time and do what seems right for you. It's all about getting off the smokes and getting your health back. There's no wrong way if you are doing that. Ask questions if you can't find the answers, we've probably seen them all. :-D
    stylemessiah and rockmoose like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach78 View Post
    Pretty much the boxes pack more power and more adjustment, neither of which are necessary but nice to have.

One of those things of where if you need to ask, you probably don't need to know. When you know what they are and why you might want one, you'll get one.

I've got one of those boxes (actually 2, but one's not with me here), several of the very small pen things and a larger pen type.

I use the box type with a tank on top for DL (direct lung) which means you breath in through the tank, which takes vapour straight to your lungs. Takes some getting used to, and makes a big cloud. You probably don't want that right now.

The very small pens, I have them around but never use them. One of them is adjustable and I still don't use it any more.

The larger pen is new, a Joytech eGo ONE. It's one of the things I'd recommend you take a look at, and kind of the 'upgrade' of the eGo AIO as the tank is removable. Mine has some adjustment to it, but that's not really necessary. Even the simplest of these types of things will do a good job of turning liquid to vapour.

Stay away from the very small pens (less than 15mm diameter) if you can, and make sure you have some options for replacement coils and make sure you have at least a pack of them on hand from the start. You'll almost certainly kill one in the first day or two, and if you don't you'll be lucky. Aim for 1 ohm or more on the replacement coils, whichever device you end up with.

Once you get everything and get started, it's not like a cigarette at all. Nic absorption is different and slower I believe. What these things do (for me at least, and for many I expect) is give you the nic your body is asking for, gives your hands a familiar action and gives your respiratory system a feeling it's used to. That what is going in is vapour instead of smoke is the real trick, but it's not too different from smoking which is why it works so well unlike a bunch of other methods. It's kind of like walking, then walking in different shoes instead of using a pogo stick or bicycling or roller skating. Different shoes are still shoes and you still walk. Everything else is very far removed from simple locomotion and doesn't always work very well and often not at all.

Good luck, and keep at it. Nobody here wants to see you fail at making the switch.

Stu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast