Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Getting onto the right track

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Getting onto the right track

Hi guys, looking for some advice please but first a bit about us.
    I'm 65, on a pension and been a smoker for 50 odd years. My wife is also a smoker.
    Tried many times to quit but honestly, I don't think I really wanted to.
    Last November 2015 I finally quit with the help from Zyban as it was a matter of having to. We simply couldn't afford to buy them with us both smoking.

Myself and our GP have persuaded her to give the e cigs a go, not only for her health but @ 30-40 per day it still stretching the budget.
    After a bit of research on here, we bought the VK Deluxe Starter Kit VK Deluxe Starter Kit.
    The kit arrived in super fast time and she was very keen to give it a go knowing that the juice had no added nicotine. Going great guns so far.
    I also have a aspire-pockex-1500mah-all-in-one for her coming to go out with.

Now the tricky part. I ticked single when ordering the 2 free 10ml juices, Twisted Menthol & Ice Queen but they came as a Double and 20%VG?
    Anyhow, got it setup for her with Twisted Menthol but the menthol is very strong. Maybe a bit too strong for her and the last thing I want to do is put her off.
    Also it crackles and pops a bit when inhaling. Is this a bad thing?

I have some 3mg Menthol juices coming from Vapo NZ. I assume these will be 'ready to vape'?

We chose menthol as a starter as she like her 2mg menthol cigs.

Thanks for reading and any tips/comments are more than welcome.
    Snidely_Whiplash likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Converted View Post
    Hi guys, looking for some advice please but first a bit about us.
    I'm 65, on a pension and been a smoker for 50 odd years. My wife is also a smoker.
    Welcome and congrats on trying to give up the smokes.

Now the tricky part. I ticked single when ordering the 2 free 10ml juices, Twisted Menthol & Ice Queen but they came as a Double and 20%VG?
    Anyhow, got it setup for her with Twisted Menthol but the menthol is very strong. Maybe a bit too strong for her and the last thing I want to do is put her off.
    Ok firstly the liquid has probably come as a "doubler". You _can_ vape a doubler but the flavor will be twice as strong as a regular liquid. With a doubler you need to add extra PG/VG to double the amount. Ie. a 10ml doubler will come out to 20ml when you add the extra PG/VG. I would suggest getting singles or RTV liquids to start until you feel comfortable to mix your own if you ever do.

Also it crackles and pops a bit when inhaling. Is this a bad thing?
    The crackling is just the liquid boiling on the coils and is perfectly normal.

I have some 3mg Menthol juices coming from Vapo NZ. I assume these will be 'ready to vape'?
    They will be RTV unless they are labelled as doubler or tripler.

We chose menthol as a starter as she like her 2mg menthol cigs..
    3mg is generally the lowest nic levle you'll get unless you mix your own. If you're a heavy smoker then 18mg is a good place to start.
    Last edited by toofargone; 30-11-16 at 02:39 PM.

AVF Regular
    Hi Converted Welcome to AVF.

A "DOUBLE" is a liquid that you add your own VG and/or PG plus Nicotine and you end up doubling the amount you got sent.

The reason for a double is here in Aus retailers cannot sell liquids with nicotine in them by law. If you liked vaping your liquids at 3mg of nicotine you would buy Nicotine (from overseas) at 6mg strength and add that straight to your double giving you the 3mg you wanted.

If you know what Nicotine strength you are going to vape we can check you have the right one before you buy. Unflavored 3-48mg/mL Nicotine Base 250ML - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale There is even a AVF 15% off discount code around here somewhere.

Also you may want to try a sample pack of liquids HiLIQ E-Liquids Australia Top 10 Sample Pack 10ML Bottles - Wholesale E Cigarette Liquid , Buy liquid nicotine online, Buy E liquid nicotine wholesale
    Tara and Converted like this.

AVF Regular
    Just to add Vapour Eyes have a great range of doublers with a several menthol ones in there. I'm not up to date on the best menthol liquids maybe someone else is.

If you found a Vapour Eyes menthol doubler she liked all you would need is the 6mg Nicotine from HILIQ and your good to go.

Link - Vapoureyes eLiquids | | Vapoureyes
    muscovyduckling and Converted like this.

Thank you so much for the quick responses and the explanations.

I'm hoping that when the juices arrive from NZ (2 x 30ml menthol) that they'll be mild and I can mix in these doublers I have.

She's a heavy smoker but I think it's more the habit rather than the addiction. If I'm right and I'm hoping I am, she should take to vaping like a duck to water.
    I'll have a good look at those links Dhufish put up. Thank you.

Have a great day guys.
    Last edited by Converted; 30-11-16 at 03:42 PM.
    Dhufish and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    Before you mix in the doublers see if she likes the rtv liquids.

Be aware that adding doublers to rtv liquids will make the mix stronger.

Sent from my communicator on the starship Enterprise. Boldly going forward because we can't find reverse.
    1ynne and Converted like this.

AVF Regular
    Well done Converted, and your wife for taking the leap.
    As you can see below, I am 5 days a non smoker, having started at 15 (now a few days shy of my 45th). Previous attempts at quitting never lasted longer than a couple of days.
    From my first vape, I have had no desire whatsoever to smoke, even while my other half still chains the Champion Ruby. Why?
    I have found that since I still have the same ritual with the ecig, as I have been ritualistically accustomed for so long, and the fact that my brain is still being hit with that sweet, sweet nicotine (18% rocks), all my habits are covered.
    I have the same device as you, and I got a batch of 18% nic from HILIQ, some RTV 18% tobacco flavours, and a few little 18% flavours to drop into my bac flav, to mix it up a bit, and begin to learn the gentle art of DIY.
    Best of luck with your exciting new journey. Enjoy the thrill of regaining lung function, and continuing a long, fruitful life.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    The Two Free 10 ml juices, as doublers need to be added to 10 ml of plain unflavoured Propylene Glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG) -You might be able to buy those from your chemist now - that will make them the right strength - but without nicotine.

Now if you were going to continue to buy doublers, you would need to get a supply of VG and PG - readily available in Australia, and then some nicotine from overseas. - or you can just buy ready to vape ejuice that has nicotine in it from overseas.

My first overseas purchase was for some 12mg nicotine flavoured vanilla custard and 6 mg nicotine flavoured lemon - so I could work out what strength nicotine suited me. I ended up combining them.. so had a lemon custard at 9mg nicotine !

Vapour Eyes has a nice Speared Pear - which is refreshing pear and spearmint - not so much menthol as fresh mint - and they also have the PG and VG and syringes for measuring and spare bottles -

It is all good fun and congrats on making the change.. a wise decision !

Wow you guys rock
    So 1ynne, to be sure, the 2 10ml bottles of juice I have here are marked 20%VG so I presume they're 80% PG?.
    What % of PG and VG would I need to make a nice diluted vape. Hope that makes sense.
    1ynne likes this.

AVF Regular
    I could be wrong here but if my maths is ok and you want to add another 10ml of pg/vg and keep it at the current ratio you would need 2ml vg and 8ml pg. But someone will correct me if i'm wrong
    muscovyduckling likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast