Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: TCR help please...

Cat
    AVF Regular

TCR help please...

I have been trying to venture into temperature control rather than wattage. Have watched a few videos to try to get my (non-mathematical) head around it.

I am still not sure what TCR setting I should use... Basically I want to know what value I should use in the option shown in the second picture.

And how important is that value? What does it all mean argghhh!

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Setup:

GPriv 220
    Tank: UWell Crown .25ohm SS

Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Super Moderator
    The TCR should be preset for the coil material you use (and select) and should not need adjustment unless you are using a coil material that isn't listed.
    Cat likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    (using my Jeremy Clarkson voice) Well first, theres a problem

Crown coils arent fully SS, theyre made nr-r-nr (non-resistence-resistence-non-resistence or in this case nickel-ss-nickel - which is why they tend to die at the wire junctures on occasion - out of the 3 i ever used 2 died due to the wire junctions unwelding themselves) so you will have to fiddle with your temp

Generally i use 0.00092 for 316L SS, but i think the Crown setting everyone is using is for 304SS, whch is 0.00105

Fab, im sure (using my Jeremy Clarkson voice again) will tell you he uses 0.00093 for 316L SS, but theres little in the difference

There are a variety of choices bandied about the internet, but i got mine from DJLSB (Daniel):

https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/

edit: also for the love of god, and to have a decent chance at your coils lasting more than the 3 days i got out of them, turn that preheat either down, or off (which is what i do even on my stable316L ss coils on the DNA. Preheat, like my least favourite thing in vaping - juice flow control- is something i just dont understand why it even exists...why would you set a temp limit, and then set a preheat to go beyond that to cook your juice? Just to heat the coil quicker. Both those things to me are insane. At 165c, my initial wattage is 26w, and drops to half that during use. So your screengrab of 75w is easily going to go past 165c into dragons breath territory...which i call madness, but your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    The TCR should be preset for the coil material you use (and select) and should not need adjustment unless you are using a coil material that isn't listed.
    Normally that woud be true, but of course he is using the bonkers Crown hybrid nr-r-nr coils, so common sense is suspended GT
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 23-12-16 at 05:27 PM.
    gtadmin and Cat like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Cat
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stylemessiah View Post
    Well first, theres a problem

Crown coils arent fully SS, theyre made nr-r-nr (non-resistence-resistence-non-resistence or in this case nickel-ss-nickel - which is why they tend to die at the wire junctures on occasion - out of the 3 i ever used 2 died due to the wire junctions unwelding themselves) so you will have to fiddle with your temp

Generally i use 0.00092 for 316L SS, but i think the Crown setting everyone is using is for 304SS, whch is 0.00105

Fab, im sure (using my Jeremy Clarkson voice) will tell you he uses 0.00093 for 316L SS, but theres little in the difference

There are a variety of choices bandied about the internet, but i got mine from DJLSB (Daniel):

https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/
    Thanks! That's very useful.

It doesn't help that the coils don't have what they are made of marked on the box...I had to do a search for that. And the documentation it says to refer to in the box is absent in both the boxes I bought!

The choices the Priv gives me are:

Nickel
    Titanium
    Stainless Steel

So which one should I use with the Crowns Style?
    Last edited by Cat; 23-12-16 at 05:30 PM.
    gtadmin and stylemessiah like this.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat View Post

It doesn't help that the coils don't have what they are made of marked on the box...I had to do a search for that. And the documentation it says to refer to in the box is absent in both the boxes I bought!
    I only know, because i had a Crown tank when they first came out to a buzz, and it was the only time i have ever used prebuilt coils. At the time i didnt have a TC mod, but when i got a brand new Crown kit, and a refund after sending a hate filled rant to the head of Uwell about the awfulness of the coils, i passed the new Crown kit on to Disley, because once something shits me, its dead to me.

It was while Disley was using his new Crown on tc and sending me emails that it was trying to kill him, that i had to do the research on the coils.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 23-12-16 at 06:35 PM.
    fabricator4 and Cat like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular

The choices the Priv gives me are:

Nickel
    Titanium
    Stainless Steel

So which one should I use with the Crowns Style?
    As most of the coil wire is actually SS, i would use SS, and then adjust the TCR for SS to 0.00105. I would then start off low with your temps around 165/170c (or 330/340f) at most for starters, as in general, with any coils you should break them in (im lucky my break in is quick as it i vape at a low temp anyways at 165c during summer/ 170+ during winter), and if theres coils you want to break in easily, it will be Crowns. A few toots and then increase by 5 or 10 (depending on the amount of vapour you get...obviously if its anaemic, you'll bump it by 10). Increase until you get where you prefer. In vw (non tc mode) Crown coils dont really work until you get around 50w into them, so dont be alarmed if you need to get into the mid 200c / high 400f range in tc mode to get a decent vape.

You'll just need to remember that, if you ever go to use another tank with other prebuilt SS coils or end up building your own coils, you will likely need to (re)adjust the SS TCR setting backto 316L SS TCR 0.00092/93'ish as 316L SS is the most common SS wire
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 23-12-16 at 06:01 PM.

Handy shopping links:

Cat
    AVF Regular
    I only know, because i had a Crown tank when they first came out to a buzz, and it as the only time i have ever used prebuilt coils. At the time i didnt have a TC mod, but when i got a brand new Crown kit, and a refund after sending a hate filled rant to the head of Uwell about the awfulness of the coils, i passed the new Crown kit on to Disley, because once something shits me, its dead to me.

It was while Disley was using his new Crown on tc and sending me emails that it was trying to kill him, that i had to do the research on the coils.
    Haha everything happens for a reason and now we know what it was! I'm gonna have to put up with premade coils because going down the road of making my own would be far too dangerous methinks!

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

Cat
    AVF Regular
    As most of the coil wire is actually SS, i would use SS, and then adjust the TCR for SS to 0.00105. I would then start off low with your temps around 165/170c (or 330/340f) at most for starters, as in general, with any coils you should break them in (im lucky my break in is quick as it i vape at a low temp anyways at 165c during summer/ 170+ during winter), and if theres coils you want to break in easily, it will be Crowns. A few toots and then increase by 5 or 10 (depending on the amount of vapour you get...obiously if its anaemic, you'll bump it by 10). Increase until you get where you prefer.

You'll just need to remember that, if you ever go to use another tank with other prebuilt SS coils or end up building your own coils, you will likely need to (re)adjust the SS TCR setting backto 316L SS TCR 0.00092/93'ish as 316L SS is the most common SS wire
    Thank you very much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help you have given me!

I watched a video on breaking in the coils (with wattage mode) and learned a lot.

I currently have the temperature set at 215C because that is what felt most comfortable... I guess I like things hot ;P Should I still change it to 0.00105?

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Haha everything happens for a reason and now we know what it was! I'm gonna have to put up with premade coils because going down the road of making my own would be far too dangerous methinks!
    When Steam gets a vape meet organised, you should come and a few of us can give you a demo of what building your own really entails. Like anything its about practice. I found it easy as i started doing it from literally the beginning of my vaping journey, but im a jump in the deep end type, and can do a rebuild in an ad break. Get an easy to build on/wick tank and thats half the job done.

Maybe we can ease your mind on it. The worst thing that could happen is that the build pest (steve.c) turns up....anytime ive (and probably others) bought a tank at a meet, he has a habit of badgering you to build it within seconds of buying it....i remember one time that rat bastard started unwrapping the tank id just selected before i bought it...

Love ya Steve
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 23-12-16 at 05:59 PM.
    Cat likes this.

Handy shopping links:

AVF Regular
    Thank you very much! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help you have given me!

I watched a video on breaking in the coils (with wattage mode) and learned a lot.

I currently have the temperature set at 215C because that is what felt most comfortable... I guess I like things hot ;P Should I still change it to 0.00105?
    You screencap pic shows the TCR at 0.00238, if you havent changed that to 0.00.105, i would personally, and then work your temps to where you want them
    Cat likes this.

Handy shopping links:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast