Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: When/why to change coils

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

When/why to change coils

Hi there,

I'm new to vaping and have bought an eGo Aio. It came with a few extra coils.

When am I meant to swap out the coils? Do they die, and how do I know?

Thanks
    Puckins

AVF Regular
    There are a bunch of different (and not all wrong) answers to this question...

Coils stop working completely, they stop working effectively and sometimes they're just dirty/flaky and depending on what the coil unit is decides what you do to correct the problem.

A coil that stops working but 'looks' ok might have a bad contact so a little cleaning and re-assembly might get it working again. So I tend to make sure a coil is genuinely non-functioning as best I can before I switch out one that looks ok.

A coil that's not working as well as it should (no/poor flavour, poor vapour, etc.) but is still working might be able to be re-wicked, cleaned or may need replacing. If you're willing to trade a little time and effort for a rejuventated coil then you can try cleaning/re-wicking/rebuilding a poorly working coil unit, but if not, replace it. The coils for the AIO aren't too expensive I don't think, so it might be better to replace one that's not working well rather than faff around with a well used one.

Ideally you should consider replacing a coil as soon as you think the one in there isn't working well. If you think it's off, it probably is. Myself, I tend to want to milk out the maximum life so will try to clean some coils when I should replace them. Someone else might replace at the point I'll try to clean or rehash a coil, and others might keep rehashing a coil at a point when I'll decide to replace it.

I'd suggest getting a pack or two of new coils for the AIO you have and replacing the coil in there as soon as you think it's not working right and use that new knowledge to work out when replacing a coil is the best for you. You might wish to push one longer, or not.

Coils also last longer or shorter depending on the liquid they're used with and the device they're used in and how they're used.

There is no definitive answer, which is a pain, but part of the process.

Good luck,

Stu.
    Fatman, AllyP, cpvaps and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Ooh this question is much like how long is a piece of string lol

That said coil life will depend on usage ( of course) and the type of liquid you are running thru them ... very sweet flavours, and dark tobacco mixes will gunk up your coils quicker that average ...

I run by the "vibe" of the vape more often than not .. you will taste when your coil is starting to go off, this could be a day or two up to a couple of weeks ... best suggestion I can make is that coils are cheap ( compared to smoking etc ) so always make sure you have a good supply handy ...
    Change them out when you feel the vape is a bit "dirtier" than usual ? Over time you will get a feel for it .
    DogMan and AllyP like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Paraphrasing Gandalf to Aragorn in Lord Of The Rings - The Twin Towers

"at first light, on the fifth day"

Dont question a wizard...

But seriously, as above, and also for me personally, when not as much vapour is produced at my normal settings, and as a result the draw can feel tighter. Not always the best idea to go on what they look like.

As mentioned, you will feel it out over time

As a rough yardstick based on most people i know who use prebuilt coils especially, 2 weeks is a good run, less if youre using sweetener heavy dessert flavours.

I build my own and vape unflavoured, usually i get bored and feel like wrapping a new coil long before i need to replace them, which is about once a month. Longest run 7 weeks.
    Last edited by stylemessiah; 03-01-17 at 09:24 PM.
    Fatman, DogMan, AllyP and 2 others like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

AVF Regular
    When I started vaping, after a few days I started getting cravings. It didn't occur to me anything was wrong with my coils, since I had no functioning taste buds, and everyone said 2 weeks.

Trial and error. You'll not get it right for a while. But as Stu said, putting in a fresh coil kinda teaches you the difference between a good coil and a bad one

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    stylemessiah, AllyP and Rodrocket like this.
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    To add some real world data from myself only...

This thread caused me to replace the coil in my Cleito, which is a SS 0.4 ohm thing and has been in the tank for about 3 months(?) and cleaned once a week. Replacing the coil didn't make much difference to how it worked, maybe a little more flavour and vapour, but not much. I'll clean the removed coil and keep using it, but that coil setup is quite easy to clean and doesn't get gunky.

I replace the wick in my Toptank Mini every few days when I'm using it regularly, and re-coil after the coil starts getting messy, usually after a 10-14 days or so. No fixed period. When I pull the wick, I'll fire the coil to burn off any gunk and clean anything I can off it.

I replace the wick in my eGo (rebuildable coil) every couple of days, the coil every few wick replacements so it's got a fresh coil once a week or so. If I'm using Ti TC coils, they tend to last me about a week-10 days between cleaning, but I'll typically replace one if it just looks like it's too far gone.

When I clean a coil that can't be rebuilt, I'll usually clean the entire tank in hot water and a tissue, cotton buds and a small paint brush to get everything clean without chemicals, and then fire the coil while it's submerged in the hot water so it won't over heat at all and seems to blast off much of the gunk. Also flushes the cotton wicking well and then I'll 'dry fire' the coil to get rid of the water, but only very short shots to dry, not burn. Then re-fill and work out the water (which won't hurt you!) until it starts working as usual again. It's maybe not a regular thing for everyone to do and maybe some will poo-poo my cleaning method, but it works for me and generally all my tanks and coils are clean and in good working order all round. I should spend more on coils I suppose, but I can't buy locally so will always tend toward a rebuildable or at least something I can rebuild so I'm not left waiting for replacement parts.

If I was living where I sit right now with a great shop 15 minutes away, I'd do things very differently. I'd have access to replacement parts easily so would replace rather than rebuild I think.

Stu.
    Rodrocket and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Stu. You've made me realise just how goddamned lazy I am.
    Rodrocket likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    " and then fire the coil while it's submerged in the hot water so it won't over heat at all and seems to blast off much of the gunk."

Wow, first time I have heard of this - does anyone else clean coils using this method? - just curious.
    Rodrocket likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Thanks Stu. You've made me realise just how goddamned lazy I am.
    If that's the case, how's your coma doing?

I'm not exactly the paradigm of keeping on top of things, and the maintenance I do on these things is the minimum I can get away with, as I'm also a 'tad' OCD about doing things properly, so that means keeping this gear in good working order as well as neat and tidy. But I don't want to make too much effort so I do as little as possible.

My brother (who makes me look like a neat freak) tends to have clean and tidy gear too. Just converted him to the joys of quality bits and pieces over the cheapest that'll work so that might be part of it.

I swear what I do doesn't take very long. I had 2 complete things to use, now I have 4 plus a mess of tanks, so the time I put into house cleaning will be more spread out, as one gunks up and I switch to something less contaminated. This is not a good thing, but it's what'll happen...

Stu.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    If that's the case, how's your coma doing?
    With my injury, and the heavy duty drugs i'm currently on to handle the pain, my coma is schwinging!
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast