Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Help! My Mod is vaping ME!

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Help! My Mod is vaping ME!

Hey Peeps,

I'm very new to vaping and really need a hand getting set up. I'm loving all the info you have
    stickied here, but I'd really, really appreciate some specific advice if possible

So here's where I'm at.

I've been vaping for a couple of weeks with a Kanger Subvod Mega TC Kit that I bought
    6 months ago, and wasn't really getting into it.

I'd really like to quit smoking so I decided to go all in and splashed out on a
    Smok Alien 220W and an OBS Engine RTA. Pretty sure this is well overpowered for what I want
    to do, but the setup excited me.

It arrived this morning and I installed the included coils, made mistakes, fixed them, and
    continuously cut my wicking shorter and shorter until the gurgling stopped. (Managed to
    suck down a few drops of molten Heisenberg along the way, which was a whole lot of menthol
    fresh agony).

So I hadn't banked on the included coils adding up to only 0.1 ohm (dual setup) and I am
    not interested in clouds at all, only flavour. This build is way too hot for me to
    chain vape, and I'm still a bit nervous any time I hear a pop (although there is no gurgling
    since I fixed the wicking).

So here's what I need to figure out:

Which coils / wire should I buy? I've heard that people build for specific juices etc.
    but at the moment, I really need a general setup to test out juices and decide what my
    preferences are.

I've heard that lower ohms = more flavour, and also that this is a load of rubbish.

A coolish vape would be nice. I think.

I've heard that the dual coil build is good for flavour, so I probably want to stick with that for now.

Where would you start? (The easier to build, the better)

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance

(Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, or if this has already been discussed and I couldn't find it - First forum post EVER.)

AVF Regular
    I don't know because I just did my first engine build today, and it's ok but needs improvement...

There are a lot of variables to what makes something work well or not.

For example, because the engine has a fairly tight deck, I've ended up with a 0.36 ohm 7 wrap x 26G wire, single strand, nothing fancy. One the tank settles in (as they're said to do, and I can believe it), it should be ok but right now, it's not ideal really.

On the other hand, I've also just got an Innokin Axiom, stuck some smaller ID coils of the same specs to get 0.26ohms, and it's singing right off the bat.

I'd suggest sticking to simple wire, simple builds until you get a knack for it. I find 0.3-0.5ohm tends to be where I like to be, not hot but sometimes warm, usually cool-ish depending on what it's in. Gurgling is liquid where it shouldn't be, spitting and excessive popping is likely not enough power and the liquid isn't vaporising as much as it's barely boiling.

The engine isn't really a "My First RBTA". That deck is very tight, and it's not that easy to get at and it's finicky. It has potential no doubt, but as a learning tank, nope. As a first tank, something like an Avocado or Limitless has a lot more space to work in and more space to adjust the coils/wicks and they're dead easy to get at so you can take a look and see what's going on.

Or, you can get what I'll likely get next time, a RDA, a dripping tank. I find that for pure flavour my cheap-o and really not very good one is amazing and a better one will be better again, if that's even possible. Very not portable, but that's how it is.

Good luck, keep at it. Wire and wick are cheap.

Stu.
    Vapewave, Cat and emu like this.

AVF Regular
    What Stu said - I'm new to coil building, but started off with the Limitless Plus which has lots of room to work with and as Stu said, is great coz you can just pull the top off to have a look see at your coils. The Avocado is similar and seems to be universally loved (will be my next purchase no doubt).

Stu's right - if you're flavour chasing, RDA or RDTA seems to be the way to go. I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I'd say go and order yourself the Avo and see how you go with it. The flavour from my Limitless Plus was something of a revelation, as I'd only ever vaped on tanks before that. Also, the Plus has a 6.3 ml capacity which means it holds more juice than the Engine if this is a factor for you.

If you're into tanks though, I recommend the GeekVape Griffin which I recently purchased from a member here - wicking it is different to wicking a RDTA but once I sorted that out it's become my new go to tank. Must admit I like the look of the OBS Engine, very pretty tank, can see why you went for it! It's on my wishlist as well.

Happy vaping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    Hi

First thing it looks like you are new to coil building so I would recommend you watch a few videos on coil building for a start if you havent already

I had a lot of spitting with the included coils with my engine as well so it not just you or anything you have done. I also did the exact same thing as Stu did and replaced them with 26G single strand 316 stainless steel wire only I used 8 wraps @ 3mm and ended up with 0.32 ohms. With these coils there is no spitting or gurgling at all.

As to your cotton you want it to go through the coil so it moves with a slight resistance but not tight, this part comes from practice but once you know how to wick it is the same for all build decks. I use a piece cut about 1cm wide. Once you are happy with the cotton through the coil cut the cotton about level with the out side of the tanks base and gently push it into the juice holes, dont try to jam it in, it should just touch or be slightly above the base but filling the holes. If it seems to be a tight fit or to long cut a bit more off.

Once you are happy with the wick dont forget to soak the new cotton before you put everything together again.

Just remember practice makes perfect so dont be impatient and be prepared to make mistakes you can always start again if you do. Its easy to remove the deck from the engine by keeping it upside down so you wont loose any juice you have in it.
    Vapewave likes this.

AVF Regular
    Oh, and as Stu already pointed out, get some wick and wire and keep at it!

Kanthal by all accounts is the easiest to work with, and cotton for the wicks. As Stu said, stick to your 0.3 - 0.5 ohm builds and you'll be golden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Its much cheaper to get into coiling your own , but if you look around at different online vape shops you will find premade coils pretty easily ... if you are not so interested in the huge clouds and blow your face off wattages then look for coils with a higher resistance ... remember that if you are doing dual coil builds then you need to halve the values of each coil resistance to get your end value .. ie a 0.5 ohm and a 0.5 ohm = 0.25 ohm when installed
    something like https://www.wickandwireco.com.au/col...shop-australia where you can select the Ohms of the coil you buy.
    I would suggest you grab a set of something perhaps 0.7 ohms and up per coil .. this will give you a resulting end Ohms of 0.35 and up , giving you a more relaxed vape start at, 15-30W and build up to something you like ... all coils will only put out according to the power they are fed . You will find however on lower wattages the ramp up time will be slower and not as harsh ... It's a balancing act you want to ramp up the power until it gives you a vape consistency you enjoy ... start low and work up

https://vapoureyes.com.au/collections/wick-and-wire
    https://www.victoryvape.com.au/colle...ls-by-geekvape
    etc etc
    Flea and Vapewave like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Hi 3h i will be in town on sunday i live at George Town can bring you some pre made coils for you to start with more than happy to help pm me if you would like my phone number cheers

AVF Regular
    Just to add, I almost always use SS wire, although I do have kanthal. SS has less resistance, I'm stating that resistance measure as on SS and most often using temp control, although almost every build that's in that range seems to be happiest at 30-40W anyway. Probably less to do with the material than the resistance and wattage handling of the coil you make.

I'm not a huge fan of kanthal as I do tend to use something then I might leave it aside for a time and kanthal doesn't like sitting. SS doesn't seem to care, rip out the old wick, fire it to glowing and clean it, re-wick and it's good to go again.

Also, I'll make sure here, you actually cleaned out the Engine, right? As in ripped it to pieces and cleaned every surface in it with soap and warm water? It's a convoluted thing, and there's lots of places machine oil (because SS is a ***** to machine) can hide, and deep inside it's hard to get at. It's probably not good for you to vape machine oil, but I've inhaled and absorbed plenty of that stuff and a lot worse and I'm still breathing.

I did clean mine, still not 'clean' so I just ripped it apart again and scrubbed with my preferred atty cleaner, shaving foam. Then a clean with dish liquid and multiple rinses and now it's very clean. Re-wicked 'lightly' and 'fluffy' and it's leaps and bounds better than it was. Still not a real flavour chaser, but good enough to tell me it's worth putting in the effort.

Not for everyone, and definitely not a 'my first RBTA', and won't need much power but it's a good solid well made unit so don't discard it just yet, but if you can I'd strongly suggest something easier to build to get your feet (wick?) wet.

Take that last comment however you will...

The Avocado is still near the top of the list for 'my first rebuildable tank', and the newest one is probably an even better proposition. Plenty of space, easy to see what's going on and cheap!

Stu.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Cool mate...
    Last edited by emu; 10-03-17 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Moved to here: http://forums.aussievapers.com/e-cigarette-vaporization-hardware-discussion/40506-obs-engine-nano-mini-thread.html#post853049
    Flea likes this.
    emu's pre-loved mowers.com

AVF Regular
    I used to wind my own coils but got tired of doing so and I have found this product excellent It is a box of pre made coils of all descriptions and if you like a particular coil in the box then do a search on Youtube to see how to make it.
    I purchased mine here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast