Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Dry burnt hit rdta

AVF Regular
    Queensland Between Brisbane and Gold Coast

Dry burnt hit rdta

So im doing my best to get into building,
    Im starting off with pre made coils cause im working im my wicking because my hands shake and i have trouble getting the cotton in the coil.
    Anyways second build was a little better but i did notice some heat spots on the upper legs of the velocity style coils. They wernt there before i wicked during my testing ... is that what im tasting?

Vape on
    Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we’re proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.

AVF Regular
    did you glow your coils prior to wicking?
    Glowing your coils helps to identify any hotspots and to sort them out.

AVF Regular
    Queensland Between Brisbane and Gold Coast
    Sure did but i think my shaking hands during wicking might of done somethong

Vape on
    Life is about choices. Some we regret, some we’re proud of. Some will haunt us forever. The message: we are what we chose to be.

AVF Regular
    nah my hands shake like nuts aswell

is it a odd matalic taste i cant describe it but i got the same thing after glowing

also a handy hint: do up one end of the cotton so it stays together and tug that through the coil i do and not many burnt hits from them
    Vapewave likes this.
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    also best way to tell a dry hit is a bad taste like burning paper like smell and taste (dont stick any body part near burning paper or dont burn paper at all unless its stuff you dont trust in the bin aka important info documents)
    If you know it. Help someone
    If you dont know it. Ask

On land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own.

AVF Regular
    One of the more experienced guys will have some more helpful info for you, but in the meantime check a few things:

- Your coils are positioned well (both at the same height, both in the centre of the deck)

- Your legs are all tightened down properly (don't over tighten them but the coils should have no movement once screwed down)

- Your wicks are the same thickness and are sitting snugly in your coils (there should be some resistance as you're pulling them through)

- Check your coil positions and the screws after wicking as they might be bumped during wicking

- Use tweezers to "strum" the coils (like strumming a guitar with a plectrum/pick)

And keep your chin up mate, it gets easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cat likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also, I've found that when things aren't going smoothly for me, it's helpful to revisit some of the tutorials on YouTube

AVF Regular
    Jake are you getting burnt hits straight away or after a few toots with the fresh wick? You may want to try less cotton, particularly if your struggling to get it through the coil. If all else fails try using a wider gauge wire or a beefy coil like a fused clapton that will take some punishment when pulling the wick through....good luck bud
    Vapewave likes this.

AVF Regular
    Oops looks like my notifs aren't working properly, plenty of replies already

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeFloyd View Post
    So im doing my best to get into building,
    Im starting off with pre made coils cause im working im my wicking because my hands shake and i have trouble getting the cotton in the coil.
    Anyways second build was a little better but i did notice some heat spots on the upper legs of the velocity style coils. They wernt there before i wicked during my testing ... is that what im tasting?

Vape on
    Yep, if the legs are glowing it will give you a nasty dry hit, no matter how wet the wicks are. It can happen if there is a short across the coil. The legs then become a high proportion of the total resistance, hence ...hot legs.

Do spaced coils only until you get a good vape sorted. Stick with roundwire builds, they are easier to make and trouble shoot. If you wreck your spaced coil by pulling wick through it you needs to straighten it out again. check that there is nothing interfering with the coils, like legs sticking through form the other coil, coil touching the side or cap etc.

Post pictures if you can. We can tell a lot about what you're doing from a pic, and might even be able to spot your problem if we are lucky.
    Vapewave likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast