Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Transitioning from eGo to sub-ohm...help

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Transitioning from eGo to sub-ohm...help

Hi everyone.

Been lurking on here for a few days now, reading all the guides etc. It's...overwhelming. Anyway, was after some specific advise about transitioning from an eGo-T MTL style to a sub-ohm DL.

A little background first.

I first tried e-cigs a few years ago with a cheapish ciga-like. It was good for a week or two, but it was just way too unreliable. Before I knew it I was back on analogues.
    Fast-forward a few years and I decided to give vaping another go - this time with an eGo (specifically an Aspire VV with Nautilus Mini using 1.8 coils). The results were much better and with some tweaking (18mg 50/50 3.7V), I've managed to 'mostly' get off the stinkies - I might have 1 a day, or 1 every 2 days.

Anyhow, having decided that I want to fully kick the smoking - I decided it was time to upgrade to a sub-ohm mod and went and purchased a iStick Pico 75W kit. I didn't really do much research on it, and mostly decided on it because it had a replaceable battery, but also because it seemed like a decent beginner mod with the option to start building my own coils in the future. I loaded it up with the 0.3 ECD that it came with and some 6mg 50/50 juice - primed it - set it to the minimum wattage recommended for the coil - and...well - it scared the shit outta me! The vape was way too hot (for me), it slammed the back of my throat and made me cough my guts up. So I kept downing the wattage till I got to around 12-14W. This was much more bearable, but still not smooth. I played with the airflow - tried different draw styles - but the thing still scares me. I can't seem to get any of the settings right.

So, to my question/s.
    Could it be that a 50/50 juice is simply too high in PG to be compatible with a sub-ohm? Or is 6mg nic maybe still too high for a sub? I've read so many forum posts and subreddits and have found a lot of conflicting information. Somehow it doesn't make sense to me to be setting it to 12 or 14W, when the coil has a minimum recommended wattage of 30W. Yet if I set it to 30, it's just way too harsh. I've got some 70VG/30PG juice on order, but now I'm thinking I maybe should have gone max-VG. It's just all so confusing lol

(PS- apologies if post is too ling, in the wrong spot, worded wrong etc. I'm a total noob when it comes to forums)
    muscovyduckling and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    hey congratulations on making the move to vaping - there is a LOT of reading and learning when you first start - but it gets easier ! so take your time as you wander along the vaping path. I am sure that one of the resident gurus will be along soon to help you out with specifics ! but in the mean time have you watched any videos about setting up the IStick - might help.
    Cat and SomberVaper like this.

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.

AVF Regular
    That made me laugh. Thks.

I am of no use to you on the pico but I am sure lots of folk will be along shortly to help.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    18mg nic and 0.3 ohm will be your problem not the 50/50 pg/vg.

With 0.3 ohm coil most here will tell say 3-6mg nic

try these coils the link is just to show you you should be able to get them locally, https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...il-head-5-pack

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SomberVaper View Post
    Hi everyone.

Been lurking on here for a few days now, reading all the guides etc. It's...overwhelming. Anyway, was after some specific advise about transitioning from an eGo-T MTL style to a sub-ohm DL.

A little background first.

I first tried e-cigs a few years ago with a cheapish ciga-like. It was good for a week or two, but it was just way too unreliable. Before I knew it I was back on analogues.
    Fast-forward a few years and I decided to give vaping another go - this time with an eGo (specifically an Aspire VV with Nautilus Mini using 1.8 coils). The results were much better and with some tweaking (18mg 50/50 3.7V), I've managed to 'mostly' get off the stinkies - I might have 1 a day, or 1 every 2 days.

Anyhow, having decided that I want to fully kick the smoking - I decided it was time to upgrade to a sub-ohm mod and went and purchased a iStick Pico 75W kit. I didn't really do much research on it, and mostly decided on it because it had a replaceable battery, but also because it seemed like a decent beginner mod with the option to start building my own coils in the future. I loaded it up with the 0.3 ECD that it came with and some 6mg 50/50 juice - primed it - set it to the minimum wattage recommended for the coil - and...well - it scared the shit outta me! The vape was way too hot (for me), it slammed the back of my throat and made me cough my guts up. So I kept downing the wattage till I got to around 12-14W. This was much more bearable, but still not smooth. I played with the airflow - tried different draw styles - but the thing still scares me. I can't seem to get any of the settings right.

So, to my question/s.
    Could it be that a 50/50 juice is simply too high in PG to be compatible with a sub-ohm? Or is 6mg nic maybe still too high for a sub? I've read so many forum posts and subreddits and have found a lot of conflicting information. Somehow it doesn't make sense to me to be setting it to 12 or 14W, when the coil has a minimum recommended wattage of 30W. Yet if I set it to 30, it's just way too harsh. I've got some 70VG/30PG juice on order, but now I'm thinking I maybe should have gone max-VG. It's just all so confusing lol

(PS- apologies if post is too ling, in the wrong spot, worded wrong etc. I'm a total noob when it comes to forums)
    Hi Somber, and congrats again on fighting the battle to give up the cancer sticks!

As has already been mentioned, one of our resident experts will be along shortly to answer any and all questions you may have - but in the meantime...

May I ask why you wanted to try sub-ohm vaping? It will help us to determine what your vaping needs are.

Sub-ohm isn't for everyone, and there are many who continue with the 1 ohm + MTL style. I unfortunately am not one of them, so can be of no real assistance in that area.

Sub-ohm vaping does take some getting used to, particularly if you've been accustomed to 1.8 ohm coils. My suggestion would be to try the 0.5 ohm coil, which should be a less intense vape.

Best of luck, and you're in the best place for guidance, you really are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cat likes this.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Hi SV, the Pico is a great little mod and you should be able to get a very good vape experience outta it. What style of vaping do you use, are you a mouth to lung or direct lung vaper ?
    I have a 0.3 ohm coil in mine at 40 watts and it's excellent although I direct lung which means a lot of air passes over the coil and keeps it cool. I'm using 50/50 juice at 3mg but I do use 6mg no worries in the same tank, What tank are you using is it the Melo mini ?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    I'm using 50/50 juice at 3mg but I do use 6mg no worries in the same tank, What tank are you using is it the Melo mini ?
    See that's what baffles me. You'd think if you're using 50/50 6mg, with the Melo Mini III, then another person using the same setup would produce the same results. I just can't find a sweet spot. Maybe I'll mix a 3mg different flavour - see how that goes

May I ask why you wanted to try sub-ohm vaping?
    So initially I thought I'd continue using my eGo for during the day, resisting cravings etc with the 18mg juice and MTL. Then I'd use the Pico of a night for chain vaping, cloud chasing and chillaxing, eventually transitioning completely to the Pico.
    To clarify, my goal is to cut out the 18mg MTL altogether (eventually), and just use the Pico with 6mg, then 3mg, then 0mg.
    Vapewave likes this.

AVF Regular
    See that's what baffles me. You'd think if you're using 50/50 6mg, with the Melo Mini III, then another person using the same setup would produce the same results. I just can't find a sweet spot. Maybe I'll mix a 3mg different flavour - see how that goes

So initially I thought I'd continue using my eGo for during the day, resisting cravings etc with the 18mg juice and MTL. Then I'd use the Pico of a night for chain vaping, cloud chasing and chillaxing, eventually transitioning completely to the Pico.
    To clarify, my goal is to cut out the 18mg MTL altogether (eventually), and just use the Pico with 6mg, then 3mg, then 0mg.
    Okay, got ya

I don't own a Pico or a Melo, but from all accounts they are great gear - try using a coil with a higher resistance (I'm assuming the kit came with a 0.5 ohm coil?) and see how you go.

You also might want to look at building your own coils down the track, as this allows you to tailor your coils (the wire type and overall resistance) to the style of vaping you want.

AVF Regular

Good choice on the pico
    They are really good units.. I enjoy my single battery one so much Iv just purchased the dual battery version.. i no longer use the melo tank as my glass broke and I initially swapped to a baby beast tank.. though have now started using the ammit rta.

When I did use the melo I used 6mg 70/30 vg/pg.. I find for myself any more the 30%pg and it's too much.. higher vg seems a lot nicer for dl and mostly I use high or max vg..

Gives a certain satisfaction vaping out my living room

SomberVaper likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost2489 View Post

Good choice on the pico
    They are really good units.. I enjoy my single battery one so much Iv just purchased the dual battery version.. i no longer use the melo tank as my glass broke and I initially swapped to a baby beast tank.. though have now started using the ammit rta.

When I did use the melo I used 6mg 70/30 vg/pg.. I find for myself any more the 30%pg and it's too much.. higher vg seems a lot nicer for dl and mostly I use high or max vg..

Gives a certain satisfaction vaping out my living room

Yeah, it's worth pointing out that higher PG has more of a throat hit than VG and produces less vapour, whereas higher VG has less throat hit and more vapour.

ghost2489 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast