Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Wheezing, shortness of breath

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Wheezing, shortness of breath

So I just wanted to ask this very quick since I feel it's important.

But getting a harsh hit in the bronchial area and having an actual audible wheeze and being short of breath from vaping, is this to be expected?

quick FAQ to pre-answer some common questions

What nicotine level? 6mg
    PG or VG? I'd imagine mostly VG, as with most VE liquids
    What am I vaping? Admiral V
    It did steep properly but the mix might be imbalanced as I failed to shake before first use.

It's just a bit scary, I find it hard to vape in the morning too because it just comes off way too harsh and would appreciate some thoughts or opinions
    When I next order some liquid it's going to be 3mg or under and definitely shooting for a higher VG mix.

AVF Regular
    What percentage of PG v VG are you using ? So many possible causes/reasons and im not a doctor

AVF Regular
    Can i ask if .... You are a former smoker and how long did you smoke and how long have you been off the stinkies ?

Note: I had issues in the first month as i transitioned to e-cigs. Shortness of breath, coughing up horrible crap, some wheezing as well. Your lungs are repairing themselves all the little hairs are growing back and it doesn't take much to irritate them.

Try to go slow, drink lots of water and if in doubt call/see a doctor.

AVF Regular
    I saw your post Vabp.. I had the same issue when I came off the stinkers.. I've only been vaping for a couple months and still the morning issue sometimes..

As dhufish said.. keep up the water.. and hold out.. you will notice it improves every day... I found water and taking shorter and shallower puffs helped heaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SubyXV View Post
    What percentage of PG v VG are you using ? So many possible causes/reasons and im not a doctor
    Have to ask VE for the exact percentage.

But it does have about 30 per cent PG I believe.

As for cigarettes, well one per day for a while, then had a few in the past 2 days that have gone by..
    I don't experience a big problem when I've puffed on what I've known to be very high VG juices which are very moist on the draw and kind of humid.
    I just really wanted to know if anyone else has had any wheezing after a vape? wheezing is something I cannot ignore.

AVF Regular
    Wheezing would have been a relief from the hacking cough and breathlessness that I had as a smoker. I jest

I vape high pg 70% and when I attempted to reduce that to 50/50 my lungs hurt and felt heavy I might have had wheezing but absolutely harder to breathe. That immediately went away when I returned to my normal 70% PG.
    JakeFloyd likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    Wheezing would have been a relief from the hacking cough and breathlessness that I had as a smoker. I jest

I vape high pg 70% and when I attempted to reduce that to 50/50 my lungs hurt and felt heavy I might have had wheezing but absolutely harder to breathe. That immediately went away when I returned to my normal 70% PG.
    I've read your story, it's pretty heartbreaking.
    I've only smoked for 7 years and lightly at that.. don't do big drags but even I feel the effects pretty hard, Pack a day smoking just horrifies me.

I believe you and I might be intolerant to excess Propylene Glycol

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice Admiral Bone to Pick View Post
    I've read your story, it's pretty heartbreaking.
    I've only smoked for 7 years and lightly at that.. don't do big drags but even I feel the effects pretty hard, Pack a day smoking just horrifies me.

I believe you and I might be intolerant to excess Propylene Glycol

The other way round for me. I cannot vape High VG and I am much more comfortable with high PG

A pack a day was normal for people in my day. Smokes were cheap, you smoked everywhere even at work and our entire social group were smokers. Everyone seemed to smoke
    Last edited by Crisscross; 12-04-17 at 06:34 PM.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

The weazing should subside alot when you completely cut out the cigs. Your lungs need to heal. I experienced the same thing for my 1st 4 weeks off the smokes and on the vape. Now my lungs are quiet and i feel alot lighter in the chest, no more crackles or weazing.

Its also worth asking if you are a MTL (mouth to lung) or DL (direct lung) vaper? For the 1st 3 months off the cigs i was a MTL vaper and now i DL with a sub ohm tank. When i made the transition to DL my lungs were a little weazy for the 1st few days and then they went back to normal, this is simply due to the amount of vapour i was inhaling and my lungs needing to adjust to a new vaping style and also i needed to cut my nicotine level heavily. When i was a MTL vaper i used 12mg juice, now as a DL vaper i use 5mg and ill be cutting down further soon. Also ejuice that a has a really bold sweet flavour (generally sucralose overkill) can unsettle your lungs at 1st and make you a bit weazy, but it will subside.

The 1st vape of the day often hits your lungs pretty hard, so back your wattage off a bit for the 1st few puffs and then gradually bring it back up to normal, it will fix the issue. Also keep hydrated, helps you keep away from vaper tounge and will make you feel alot better and less dry in the chest.

I hope this helps mate, you are far better off vaping, just takes some getting used to.

AVF Regular
    It could be lots of things - intolerance to: PG or VG,one of the flavours used in the juice (eg. cinnamon flavouring makes me wheeze), or one of the metals in your wire or your tank.

But most likely it is a) you are trying to DL and your lungs are a bit too damaged from smoking for that yet, or b) your lungs are trying to heal because you've stopped/cut down on smoking; or a combination of the two. Generally when you stop smoking the symptoms of smoking get worse before they get better because the little hairs in your airways start to grow back and start doing their job - which is to waft all this gunk back up that was just sitting there quietly being gunky before

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast