Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: A Newbies Journey - day 2.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Question A Newbies Journey - day 2.

My daughter has being vaping for over a month and my son in law started nearly 2 weeks ago.
    Best time to quit the cigs right?

I have been a smoker for 40 years and I've smoked menthol's so I commenced my search for menthol flavours because my kids have all these sweet fruity juices and I really don't like them. (taste like crap whilst drinking coffee.lol) WOW. way too strong. I also got one juice called Hawk Sauce because it had great reviews. The menthol is a little milder but the sweetness is just too much.
    i'm now at a loss as to what juices to try next.
    Has anyone else had similar issues and found something they like. X menthol smokers, that is.

Next issue is the coughing and headaches.
    My kit is aspire zelos 50w nautilus 2 tank. using 1.8 coil and set at only 20W.
    I have tried mouth to lung and I cough.
    when I try direct to lung, it burns my throat and I cough also

I don't want to give up but at the same time, Its really exhausting.

I really need some guidance please.
    gert, AllyP, ybnice and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Try a lower wattage. Also to get your throat into the swing, with the new sensation, start your toot before hitting the fire button, then hit the fire button for a short period only. This should get you used to it, then increase your firing time.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

The coughing and headaches are unfortunately a part of making the switch. Vapor might look like smoke to some but the density is completely different and catches alot of smokers off guard at first. Definitely try a lower wattage, if im remembering correctly i rocked my Nautilus on a 1.8 ohm at about 16 watts (admittedly its been a long time since i mtl'd and the Nautilus 2 might be a completely different experience). Start off taking baby toots.

The headaches believe it or not are probably caused by nicotine overdose. You need to seriously monitor your vaping, there is no "end of the cigarette" to tell you when its time for a break. Try to replicate your smoking habits when it comes to usage (ie. for me id have a smoke every 1.5 to 2 hours, so every hour or so id take a half dozen toots of my mod), eventually your body adjusts and you can move up and down freely.

Liquids is subjective. Your tastebuds after 40 years of smoking are completely shot, for most they will recover after some time. Id suggest jumping over to Vapoureyes and grabbing a couple of their menthol based juices (-273 would go great with coffee) and work your way from there. There is a million juices available, its just a matter of trial and error.
    gert likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' View Post
    My daughter has being vaping for over a month and my son in law started nearly 2 weeks ago.

I have been a smoker for 40 years and I've smoked menthol's so I commenced my search for menthol flavours because my kids have all these sweet fruity juices and I really don't like them. (taste like crap whilst drinking coffee.lol) WOW. way too strong. I also got one juice called Hawk Sauce because it had great reviews. The menthol is a little milder but the sweetness is just too much.
    Has anyone else had similar issues and found something they like. X menthol smokers, that is.

I've got to agree, 20 watts sounds a little high. Start very low and work your way up. It should NOT burn your throat.

Taste is subjective. VG and PG are a little sweet so you might need to go with a tobacco menthol until your sense of taste comes back.

If you want just a straight menthol it's cheaper and easier to make your own.

I was 35 years on the darbs myself, now 4 years smoke free. There is a bit of an adjustment period and some trial and error finding out what works for you, but when you get it all right it's far more enjoyable than smoking.

Is your daughter or s-i-l here on AVF? Just wondering if they sent you over or if you found us on your own.

Sent from my B1-730 using Tapatalk
    Noe, AllyP and Smokin' like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

thank you all so much for all the advice. I have lowered watt. to 10 and already, the burning has gone. WOO HOO.
    Now off to find some new juice. that menthol has got to go.

I found this forum thru google. Must say that it is a bit confusing due to so much info here.
    fabricator4 and BatDan like this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Yep 1.8 ohm coils are not designed to be used at 20W

Finding juice that isn't sweet can be a challenge, the problem is that VG & PG bases are already sweet ingredients in the juice, add sweet flavors into the juice & you have more sweetness, then some juices have sweeteners added on top of all that.

Most newbies find vaping a little confusing at first, you're not alone there
    In a few months you'll have it all worked out like a Pro
    gert, fabricator4, Tara and 1 others like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Smokin, your Nauti 2 would have come with the 0.7ohm coil installed - its range is 18 to 23 Watts,
    Did you switch your coil over? as the spare is the 1.8ohm with a range of 10 to 14 watts.
    If you were vaping the 1.8 coil at twenty watts - it will surely be burnt and only fit for the garbage bin - Do you have spare 1.8 ohm coils? I can throw a few in a envelope and post them to you.
    I didn't like the Nauti 2 with the 0.7 ohm coil but find it's much more pleasureable with the 1.8 at 14 watts.
    MrGruffy and fabricator4 like this.
    Tootle Puffing Provari Fan Gal & Newbie Squonker

AVF Regular
    Crisscross is our resident menthol lover and may have some suggestions for you regarding pre-made menthol ejuice. The first menthol vape I tried was her "Sub-Zero" juice which is very nice and not sweet (I don't like sweet juices either!), but this is a DIY recipe, so maybe not up your alley just yet.

In the meantime, two nice (not too sweet) juices with menthol I've tried are "ADV 2" from VapourEyes (tastes like tart currants, mint and menthol) and "Kosciuszko" from Alpine Cloud Co (an offshoot of VapourEyes). Kosciuszko is very light on the flavour and also has eucalyptus in it, so I'd probably recommend giving the ADV 2 a shot over the Kosciuszko....just because eucalypt in a vape is a bit weird if you're not expecting it, and you'll probably want a fairly strong flavoured juice until your tastebuds start working for you again!

Of course there are lots of menthol tobacco flavoured ejuices around but they don't taste like menthol cigarettes.

I used to vape the 1.8ohm nautilus BVC coils at around 12-14watts.
    gert, BatDan and Smokin' like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' View Post

It will take some time to get used to vaping, hang in there... To start out MTL is best on a low wattage and low airflow and work your way up if you need.
    ADV 2 from VE is deffo worth a try.
    Smokin' likes this.

AVF Regular
    I have the same issues with mints and menthols messing with my morning coffee.
    VE ADV2 and Chloe from HOV and always in my rototation, but can't do them with coffee.

I have second tank loaded with VE Mo's Vanilla Custard or Caramelised Tobacco (not overly sweet) that I start on and then switch back mid morning.

10W is a good starting point. Just cos your mod can go to 200W plus doesn't mean you need to use it. 17.5W is the sweet spot for me.
    When I started off the cig a likes, innokin had a cool fire 2 that was fixed at 8.5W and I was wondering who would need all that power!
    muscovyduckling and Smokin' like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast