Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Help with mixing first time.

AVF Regular
    Hi guys,

Since getting well again I've been trying some mixes, but still have not found anything too appealing yet. I'm still a bit confused with ratios (I'm using the online calculator). I'm thinking I should just stay with zero flavours til I find my right nic vg/pg ratios then try adding flavours. Would this work do you think? I seem to be waisting some mixes because I mix 10ml and fill my 2ml tank and can't get through it so tip it out. Then I'm confused as to how to fix the rest in the 10 ml bottle. I can't afford to keep tipping out.

Any suggestions would help. I've been trying to read alot on how to do it, but everyone seems to have different opinions, or maybe I'm just missing things.

Also, on storage, I see where you suggest amber glass bottles filled to the brim for freezing. Don't these burst? This frightens me a little. Don't want stuff all through my freezer. I'm currently storing in my fridge.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    Hi guys,

Since getting well again I've been trying some mixes, but still have not found anything too appealing yet. I'm still a bit confused with ratios (I'm using the online calculator). I'm thinking I should just stay with zero flavours til I find my right nic vg/pg ratios then try adding flavours.
    Doing DIY is a really steep learning curve, even more-so than learning to vape in the first place. Some people are lucky and just find a recipe on the internet that they like and away they go. For me, most recipes use way too much flavouring at close to or around 20%. Chemical soup. I treat those like doublers LOL. I'd suggest you are onto something starting with unflavoured - approach it from the other direction and only add very tiny amounts of flavouring. The results might really surprise you. To understand flavours you really need to try them individually and find the point where you can taste them properly, and what they are likely to bring to a liquid.

There's a sticky on how I do this here: Tips for testing flavours

It might seem like a lot of work but it pays off big time when you are trying to work out what to do or how to fix something.

Would this work do you think? I seem to be waisting some mixes because I mix 10ml and fill my 2ml tank and can't get through it so tip it out. Then I'm confused as to how to fix the rest in the 10 ml bottle. I can't afford to keep tipping out.
    You'll see that I mix very tiny amounts - 2 to 3 ml. If I vape all of that I make a 10ml. Usually by the end of the 10ml I will know if I want to adjust the recipe, make a larger batch, or put that idea away pending a revelation that shows me what I'm doing wrong. It takes time and patience.

Any suggestions would help. I've been trying to read alot on how to do it, but everyone seems to have different opinions, or maybe I'm just missing things.
    Oh yeah, everyone has different ideas on how to do stuff. My way is the correct way though... LOL just kidding. Everyone is different. I fully understand that my way is time consuming, but just throwing a few things together or following some recipe with 20% flavourings doesn't work for me. I've learned far more by taking my time and trying to understand what is going on.

You find your own way but yes, less is more - go back to unflavoured then add small amounts until you find something that starts to taste like something you want to vape.

Also, on storage, I see where you suggest amber glass bottles filled to the brim for freezing. Don't these burst? This frightens me a little. Don't want stuff all through my freezer. I'm currently storing in my fridge.
    PG and VG do not expand in the freezer. For one, you can't get your freezer cold enough to freeze PG. VG freezes at -18C, but it contracts very slightly, not expands. Only water and some other crystaline metals expand when they solidify. Because of our problems caused by water expanding when it freezes, we tend to think everything does that when actually hardly anything does EXCEPT water. It expands a lot too - growing in volume by almost one seventh of the water volume which is why freezing foods and drinks causes so much trouble (and water pipes in those areas that get freezing temperatures in winter).
    Last edited by fabricator4; 20-05-17 at 11:23 AM.
    1ynne and Jemor like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    yep, as always Fab has nailed it ! but but but perhaps, when you cook you do not follow recipes.. you ad lib and taste and adjust as you go .. well that is also another way... when I try a juice for the first time I do not fill the tank - just half fill... and then taste.. and add a little something else that I already have mixed up if it needs something.. I discovered a really lovely coffee custard juice doing that is there a recipe - nope just a combination of already mixed coffee and custard juices ! and remember steeping is your friend.. leaving juices for a week or 2 can really change the flavour.

a really helpful posting on E Liquid Recipes A Beginner's Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes - Beginners - E-Liquid Recipes Forum - and also browse their recipes (sort by ratings helps) but remember some of these guys are heavy handed with percentages... for me less really is more... for example FW Banana Split - some mixed at 20% and said it was a good base for other flavours... I mixed it at 6% expecting this to need addition but for me it is just perfect like that .. it really is trial and error but it is fun and you can custom your juices to how you like them
    gert and Jemor like this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Thanks Fab...appreciate it.

I hadn't thought of making 2 mls to start....duh!?! I'm sure that will help even for the nic/vg/pg ratios. Definately going to do that.

Thanks for the link...I'll have a good read of that and save it.

You don't mention nic in the freezer....I guess that's the same as the others? You can tell I'm not good at chemistry.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post
    yep, as always Fab has nailed it ! but but but perhaps, when you cook you do not follow recipes.. you ad lib and taste and adjust as you go .. well that is also another way... when I try a juice for the first time I do not fill the tank - just half fill... and then taste.. and add a little something else that I already have mixed up if it needs something.. I discovered a really lovely coffee custard juice doing that is there a recipe - nope just a combination of already mixed coffee and custard juices ! and remember steeping is your friend.. leaving juices for a week or 2 can really change the flavour.

a really helpful posting on E Liquid Recipes A Beginner's Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes - Beginners - E-Liquid Recipes Forum - and also browse their recipes (sort by ratings helps) but remember some of these guys are heavy handed with percentages... for me less really is more... for example FW Banana Split - some mixed at 20% and said it was a good base for other flavours... I mixed it at 6% expecting this to need addition but for me it is just perfect like that .. it really is trial and error but it is fun and you can custom your juices to how you like them
    Thanks 1ynne, but you made me laugh referring to cooking... I hate cooking for probably the same reasons as mixing eliquid. In fact I don't cook very much at all these days. But I do see your point. I did however, get a red wine flavour. Thought that might be nice in my afternoon 'happy hour' with my glass of red, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm not really interested (yet anyway) on mixing flavouring etc. such as apple custards. I tend to just stay with straight apple, berry etc. I just figure if I want a coffee flavour I just go make a cup of coffee...LOL so I can't see me really getting into all those other things.

Another thought I just had is if I just concentrated on the nic/vg/pg ratio and getting that right I might then be able to just buy a couple of flavours with those ratios rather than buying everything all the time. I really don't want all the hassle as I am a bit lazy in that regard and that makes me fear going back to smoking for the ease of operation.

hmmm...food for thought! Back to the drawing board. Thanks guys.

AVF Regular
    gotcha.. well unflavoured is absolutely the easiest no hassle way to go once you settle on your happy nic ratio and preferred pg/vg mix ... it is where I started after being more than a little burnt by awful sweet sickly juices - one of my favourites is unflavoured with just a splash of vanilla - easy peasy !
    Jemor likes this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ynne View Post

Thanks so much for posting the link to the recipes Lynne, looks like a great site to dive into! -- I've been searching for something like that-

AVF Regular
    Great story so far, Jemor. You are definitely on your way to complete success.

I primarily vape unflavoured, because I like the taste (max VG is sweet enough). But I do DIY for the hobby aspect of it, and then I get some divine flavours, to add some interest to my daily vaping experience.

Vaping unflavoured, while you get your PG/VG and nic levels sorted is a really good idea. While you are doing that, look at some of the e-liquid calculator recipes (Sydneyvapor clone pack recipes too). Don't worry so much about % people use, but look more at the ratios that are used, when mixing different concentrates. This will prove useful if you do create your own.

Your vape tastes will not necessarily match your eating/drinking tastes. I only drink strong black coffee, but my fav DIY coffee vapes always have chocolate and vanilla in them. I love eating fruit, but can only vape fruits with some sort of bakery background.

You should also take anyones juice recommendations with a pinch of salt. Certainly try highly regarded juices (I usually consider singles to be doublers, or they are far too sickly), moreso to find the flavour profile/s that harmonise with you.

Then you will want to DIY. Keep it simple. The best ADV (all day vapes), are those that only use three concentrations.
    Last edited by rockmoose; 20-05-17 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Jemor likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Hi guys, "Update"

Just wanted to let you all know that I've been full time vaping since last Saturday. In fact, the only 1 I had on Saturday was awful and decided then I wouldn't be having any more cigarettes.

I wanted to thank you all for your help and education. I appreciated every bit of it as it was all too daunting for me. I'm someone who usually lives by the K.I.S.S. theory whenever possible.

I'm still learning, but for now I'm just vaping unflavoured on 18 ml, but will cut that down to 12 ml pretty soon I think as sometimes 18 mls is a bit strong and hurts my throat first thing in the morning, but it's getting better.

I'm using vg/pg 70/30, but think I will cut that back to 50/50 also as it's making my throat dry between my cups of coffee, black tea, green tea, ginger and lemon tea then red wine....LOL Note: Not too much water gets a chance

Thank you all!!

AVF Regular
    I know people like to joke about water, but seriously it is your numero uno bestest mucho gracias friend, right now. Slurp regularly from the ever-present bottle, and you will understand.

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    Jemor likes this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast