Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Help with mixing first time.

AVF Regular

Help with mixing first time.

I tried posting this and the site logged me out so I lost all of it. Had to rewrite. Maybe increase your timeout or turn it off altogether so people can read and post without being unexpectedly logged out, or can I change this in my settings?
    Iíll try again!

Hi all,

Iím a medium to heavy Longbeach Rich/Blue RYO smoker just now and been smoking for almost 50yrs. I want to give up smoking cigarettes immediately and reduce and quit nicotine altogether very soon I hope.

I have purchased a Aspire Zelos 50w Kit (holds 2ml), 3 different flavoured 30ml bottles of Singlar (MAX VG) vagabond eliquid (from Grumpyís Cardiff) on their advice for a beginner and 2x 30ml unflavoured 60:40 PV/VG nic @18mg strength from Nicopharm (arrives today) + I have a syringe.
    Just purchased a Eleaf Icare Mini starter for my handbag also, which I donít understand the specs differences of the 2 yet.

Iíve been practicing with 1 flavour for the last week and have found the reduced air at the second hole on 12 watts to work ok for now.

My questions are:
    1. Do I add nic juice to flavoured stuff or the other way round? And do I need gloves?
    2. How much nic juice do I add to flavoured juice to get about the same as tobacco smoking?
    3. I donít have spare bottles and only 2mls out of 1 flavoured bottle, so can I add it directly to that bottle?
    4. Can I just add less of the 18mg nic juice to flavoured to reduce the nic amount or do I have to buy less strength nic juice and use same mixing ratios?

I havenít seen anyone yet, talk about pv/vg ratios in nic juice and the calculators donít seem to allow for this, so have no idea how to use them. Iím thinking I should just bought the flavoured from Nicopharm and been done with it, but itís so expensive from there it seems.

All this is so confusing to me and has almost gone in the ďtoo hard basketĒ already, but Iím determined to give it a go because Iíve tried everything to give up cigarettes that havenít worked.
    I canít afford to smoke AND I donít want to be vaping forever either. I donít have a lot of money to throw around on heaps of gear just to experiment with, so am trying to get to something that I can use from the start and hopefully to the final result of being free from all this.

Iím sure I will have further questions, but this should get me started for now.

Thanks in advance.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Hi Jemor

As you have low concentration of unflavoured nicotine, it going to be hard if you want to vape at higher nicotine levels (more than 10mg/ml) and maintain the flavour of the ready to vape juice. This is why most Aussie juice producers offer 'doublers' so you can mix your own nicotine levels effectively. For the moment you are going to have to trade off either nicotine strength or flavour strength. If you want to keep buying 'singlers' and mixing in nicotine, I recommend you buy 100mg/ml nicotine (and wear gloves) as it makes calculations much easier. As to nicotine strength, I'm assuming around 12mg/ml so if you mix about a 2:1 ratio of unflavoured nicotine to flavoured ejuice, you will achieve that level. If you want more flavour or find that nicotine level too high, decrease the nicotine proportionally. Do you have someone nearby that can help you? Can you go back to Grumpy and ask for advice? A bit of physical support goes a long way for most. Getting your nicotine level right can be a bit of trial and error. Unfortunately that's the problem with nicotine regulation. You can't just walk into a store and try different flavours and nicotine levels and say 'I'll have that.' This turns a lot of people off. My advice is persevere. Make the effort and try to learn as much as you can. Your body will thank you in the end. There is a lot to learn but every journey begins with a single step and you have taken yours.
    gert likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemor View Post
    I tried posting this and the site logged me out so I lost all of it. Had to rewrite. Maybe increase your timeout or turn it off altogether so people can read and post without being unexpectedly logged out, or can I change this in my settings?
    Iíll try again!

Did you tick the "Remember me" tick box? But other than that, no you can't change it in your settings, it's a 15min timeout standard on all forums.

If it still times out after you have ticked that box, try writing very long replies/questions in Notebook (or other text apps) and then copy and paste into your reply

Welcome to vaping, and in particular to AVF
    MrGruffy likes this.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right ...

Please read these rules

Read about signatures too

There isn't enough room to list my gear

AVF Regular
    Iíll try again!
    Check the little "remember me" box next time you log in on the PC and this problem should go away. It's a common problem with all of the forums that use the same software. (ie: lots!)

Iím a medium to heavy Longbeach Rich/Blue RYO smoker just now and been smoking for almost 50yrs. I want to give up smoking cigarettes immediately and reduce and quit nicotine altogether very soon I hope.
    You can give up nicotine if you want, but don't beat yourself up about it or how long it might take. Long term use of NRT products is considered safe because the real problem is not the nicotine. Nicotine may have a role in slowing nervous system disorders like alzheimers, dementia, MS, memory loss etc. I'm not sure I want to actually give it up, just saying ;-)

I have purchased a Aspire Zelos 50w Kit (holds 2ml), 3 different flavoured 30ml bottles of Singlar (MAX VG) vagabond eliquid (from Grumpyís Cardiff) on their advice for a beginner and 2x 30ml unflavoured 60:40 PV/VG nic @18mg strength from Nicopharm (arrives today) + I have a syringe.
    Just purchased a Eleaf Icare Mini starter for my handbag also, which I donít understand the specs differences of the 2 yet.
    The Nautilus two atomiser that comes in that kit is a very good choice for making the switch. It's what we call a good mouth-to-lung (MTL) tank because it has a tighter draw that is closer to what you get with a cigarette. If you use it at 10 to 15 watts (start lower) you will find it tasted good and is satisfying.

The iCare mini is quite good and I have one for the car, but you are going to need at least 24 to 28mg/ml nicotine liquid in that to be satisfied with it because it does not produce as much vapour. Great little unobtrusive device though.

Iíve been practicing with 1 flavour for the last week and have found the reduced air at the second hole on 12 watts to work ok for now.
    You'll find it much more satisfying once you get some nicotine in there, and it will give you a lot more throat hit. That's the sensation at the back of the throat when smoking that many smokers associate with the satisfaction of smoking. Different people like different degrees of "throat hit".

My questions are:
    1. Do I add nic juice to flavoured stuff or the other way round? And do I need gloves?
    Either, it's the proportions that important so it depends on how you are doing the mixing. I see a problem the proportions in the product you have ordered, but we'll work through that one...

You don't need gloves to handle 18mg/ml, just wash it off if you get some on your hands.

2. How much nic juice do I add to flavoured juice to get about the same as tobacco smoking?
    Here's the problem, many people need 18mg/ml in their e-liquid when they first start, but you've ordered 18mg/ml unflavoured. I'd say you should just vape the unflavoured but I've tried the Nicopharm stuff and didn't enjoy it. When you get it report back what colour it is and what it smell like please, so we can give you better advice.

3. I donít have spare bottles and only 2mls out of 1 flavoured bottle, so can I add it directly to that bottle?
    You can, but it will be far to weak to be satisfying if you want to ditch the smokes instantly. You could try mixing it 50/50 in another bottle and see how you go - that will make it 9mg/ml. if you mix 2 parts 18mg/ml nicotine to 1 part flavour that would give you 12mg/ml which is a bit better, but the flavour will be much less. You might be able to get a small bottle quickly from the chemist, supermarket, or $2 shop. Example: buy 50ml glass medicine bottle from the chemist (a few dollars) and mix your liquid in that. You could then put some back into the flavour bottle with the drip tip for filling your device. After you are finished with e-liquid bottles you can rinse and re-use them. A really tiny funnel for filling the dripper bottle would be handy.

4. Can I just add less of the 18mg nic juice to flavoured to reduce the nic amount or do I have to buy less strength nic juice and use same mixing ratios?
    You can just add less of the nicotine to the flavoured e-liquid. We recommend buying higher strength nicotine for adding to the RTV (ready to vape) flavoured e-liquids because it means you won't be diluting it as much. We can come back to that once you've had a play, but two sources we recommend for the nicotine are Mixology in NZ and hiliq.com

I havenít seen anyone yet, talk about pv/vg ratios in nic juice and the calculators donít seem to allow for this, so have no idea how to use them. Iím thinking I should just bought the flavoured from Nicopharm and been done with it, but itís so expensive from there it seems.
    I believe Nicopharm liquids are 70/30 PG/VG and that is a reasonable ratio for you at this stage. 50/50 is a common ratio these days and I have spent many years in the middle at 60/40 PG/VG. You will get to know what is best for you over time, but if it's not broken don't fix it. If you're having issues with the vape or if you are finding it unsatisfying we can help.

All this is so confusing to me and has almost gone in the ďtoo hard basketĒ already, but Iím determined to give it a go because Iíve tried everything to give up cigarettes that havenít worked.
    I know. We all know how hard it is to give up smoking. I battled it for years even after I saw what it did to members of my family. Vaping is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself. Congratulations for taking the big step and welcome aboard. As far as it being hard to learn how to vape in Australia - yes Australian Public Health has a lot to answer for. If we were in the UK you could have just bought what you need down the road and got good advice too. We'll do what we can though, so stick with us.

I canít afford to smoke AND I donít want to be vaping forever either. I donít have a lot of money to throw around on heaps of gear just to experiment with, so am trying to get to something that I can use from the start and hopefully to the final result of being free from all this.
    You've got a good kit. There's ways of vaping that doesn't cost very much once you are set up (like less than $5 per week) but it depends on how hands-on you want to be. There's plenty of people here who can help you whichever way you want to go. Flavours are optional firstly - some people really need them while others prefer to do without them. Personally I like my flavours because it keeps it interesting, but if you hate the flavours or the hassle there's nothing wrong with going flavour free.

Good luck, and remember we're here to help!
    Last edited by fabricator4; 19-04-17 at 02:21 PM.
    WoopiFumes likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for your reply Nothingexpert. This has helped me a lot.

I don't have anyone to help except here and maybe Grumpy's, (they don't supply nic juice of course) so I guess I'm going to have to work it out, but you have at least explained to me that I need twice as much nic to flavoured when I thought the other way around. I had no idea there was any such thing as singlers and doublers so now at least I know what that means on my flavoured juice, but it doesn't say anything about that on my nic juice (that just arrived). I didn't look as to whether I can buy that 100ml strength from Nicopharm or not as my main concern was just trying to keep it all above board and speedy delivery.

May I pm you if needed please? There are some things I don't want on open forum.

AVF Regular
    I’ll try again!

Hi all,

I’m a medium to heavy Longbeach Rich/Blue RYO smoker just now and been smoking for almost 50yrs. I want to give up smoking cigarettes immediately and reduce and quit nicotine altogether very soon I hope.

I have purchased a Aspire Zelos 50w Kit (holds 2ml), 3 different flavoured 30ml bottles of Singlar (MAX VG) vagabond eliquid (from Grumpy’s Cardiff) on their advice for a beginner and 2x 30ml unflavoured 60:40 PV/VG nic @18mg strength from Nicopharm (arrives today) + I have a syringe.
    Just purchased a Eleaf Icare Mini starter for my handbag also, which I don’t understand the specs differences of the 2 yet.

I’ve been practicing with 1 flavour for the last week and have found the reduced air at the second hole on 12 watts to work ok for now.

My questions are:
    3. I don’t have spare bottles and only 2mls out of 1 flavoured bottle, so can I add it directly to that bottle?

I haven’t seen anyone yet, talk about pv/vg ratios in nic juice and the calculators don’t seem to allow for this, so have no idea how to use them. I’m thinking I should just bought the flavoured from Nicopharm and been done with it, but it’s so expensive from there it seems.

All this is so confusing to me and has almost gone in the “too hard basket” already, but I’m determined to give it a go because I’ve tried everything to give up cigarettes that haven’t worked.
    I can’t afford to smoke AND I don’t want to be vaping forever either. I don’t have a lot of money to throw around on heaps of gear just to experiment with, so am trying to get to something that I can use from the start and hopefully to the final result of being free from all this.

I’m sure I will have further questions, but this should get me started for now.

Thanks in advance.
    1. You usually (almost always) add the nic to the flavoured juice. Though with 18mg nic you will be adding quite a bit per batch. Nicopharm is not recommended around these parts, though I have never tried it, users here will tell you it's the worst there is. A lot of us get our nic from Hiliq in China and it will cost you just under $100 for a litre of 100mg nic delivered which will last you a very long time (stored the excess in the freezer) and yes I would use gloves until you are confident with handling it.

2. There are many ejuice calculators out there to help with with your ratios and measurements. There's one at e-liquid-recipes and you can use the free application "ejuice me up". Using basic mouth to lung devices which mimic smokes, you could probably start between 12 and 18mg.

3. You will need spare bottles and probably have to buy doublers (double the flavour concentrate per volume) because your nic is only 18mg. You could add directly to the bottle if you had a much higher nic strength.. if you bought a 0mg juice from a local vendor that was 30mls you would have to add 1.86g to get 6mg nic content. But with you 18mg nic you would have to add way way more which is not really feasible.

4. See 2.

Edit: Use gloves for 100mg if (and when) you get it, not 18mg nic.

Also as long as you're not allergic to PG I would recommend getting 100mg nic in 100% PG.
    Last edited by Whisp; 19-04-17 at 03:50 PM.

AVF Regular
    Thanks GT, did that now.

I had forums myself years ago and could adjust the timeout setting in admin panel then and hardly use forums now so didn't know they had changed it.
    gtadmin likes this.

AVF Regular
    Wow!!
    Thanks Fabricator and Whisp. What wonderful help you've all been.

My nic juice has arrived and it's really clear like water so hope that's better than what I've read.

I'm going to my dr. tomorrow so going to ask him and my chemist about getting it here first, but seems I might have to import also which I really don't want to do, Thanks to our ignorant, uneducated powers of dictatorship in our country.

Anyway, I'm now out of cigs so will go and see if I can do this to start.

Thanks again guys. All of you.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Thanks to our ignorant, uneducated powers of dictatorship in our country.
    Vaper in the making right here...
    fabricator4 likes this.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

AVF Regular
    Wow!!
    Thanks Fabricator and Whisp. What wonderful help you've all been.

My nic juice has arrived and it's really clear like water so hope that's better than what I've read.

I'm going to my dr. tomorrow so going to ask him and my chemist about getting it here first, but seems I might have to import also which I really don't want to do, Thanks to our ignorant, uneducated powers of dictatorship in our country.

Anyway, I'm now out of cigs so will go and see if I can do this to start.

Thanks again guys. All of you.
    If the nicotine liquid has no colour that sounds promising. If it doesn't smell like mouldy canvas that is even better.

Many doctors are not supportive of vaping because of the stance Public Health in Australia has taken on it. Hopefully yours is more enlightened but it's unlikely that he/she will be willing to prescribe it. The only doctor I know of who is doing that is the one attached to the NicoPharm sales.

Well done not buying any more smokes. You can do this Jemor! :-)
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast