Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Just started Vaping... Nic juice rips my throat.

Just started Vaping... Nic juice rips my throat.

Hello All,

I'm new to vaping and just joined up to make my first post. In doing all of my research, this forum has been a great help trawling all the old post and threads to gather as much information as possible before starting my vaping journey.

I ended up getting a Ego-T starter kit (type-B) and also some Boge XL LR cartomizers. I also ordered 50ml of 36mg VG nic-juice from e-cigs.com in China. Even though I paid for DHL Express it only arrived yesterday having ordered it about 2 weeks ago. It first got held up in China for a few days before going of to Taiwan then Hong Kong before a direct flight Melbourne.

Before getting the nic-juice I was trying my RY4 ordered from Vapebar mixed 50/50 with some 0mg VG juice. I quite liked the flavour and was looking forward to trying it with nicotine and beginning my serious vaping. After reading heaps of posts saying that you should go higher nic content than you would normally smoke I got the 36mg intending it to go down to 18mg when mixed with my doubler flavour (this based on me smoking CHOICE blue 12mg cigarettes - 25 to 35 per day).

Damn! After mixing and filling a Boge cart and an ego-t tank this stuff just rips your throat to shreds - is this the illusive throat hit people are getting and talking about - because I don't really get a throat hit when smoking analogs - not like this anyway.

I used an online e-juice calculator and cut a new batch down to 12mg - still too much. then down to 8mg (less than what I smoked and it is tollerable and I have not had a cigarette yet today) I'm just worried I might not be getting enough nicotine because I'm still a bit edgy.

Did I get crap nic-juice? Should I try American juice - i've heard greenhouse one might be good?

Funny thing is now I know what what nicotine tastes like because I tried 1 cigarette last night and could isolate the nicotine flavour.

As a silent observer and now active member - thank you all for your help.

Hi Nomulus,

I have just started vaping also, and the 'throat hit' does whack you around abit at first (well it did for me anyways!) I have just kept peresisting with it to keep my cravings for a real smoke well down. did the starter kit come with anything pre-filled to try and see if it gets better? Someone with loads of experience will jump on here and give you a nudge in the right direction...

Good luck!

Well 36mg was certainly not too harsh for me.. but then I always pounded the heaviest of cigarettes and roll-your-owns without a filter etc.

18mg to 24mg is a usual starting point for "many" people but that certainly doesn't mean "all". I would probably recommend around 18mg range to start with because it fits with your usual nicotine intake. 12mg may be ok.. but it might be not enough to get you through the first few weeks of vaping. Vaping is different to smoking and the throat hit is definitely a lot stronger even at the lower nicotine range.

I'd be interested to know "how" you are vaping. That is, are you drawing the vapour directly into your lungs? Or are you sucking it (like a lolipop) into your mouth first and then inhaling it down to your lungs after you've filled your mouth with vapour?

if you are directly inhaling, this could be the problem because even at much lower nicotine levels, you are going to rip your throat to shreds, as you put it. If you are doing the "mouth suck to inhale lungs" method then it could simply be a matter of getting used to the different kind of throat hit. Certainly though, there are some liquids that are a lot harsher than others and I remember there was a time I was vaping juices at a nic level I was familiar with causing me a decent amount of discomfort due to the ingredients in the juice.

What you should do is order some unflavoured nic-juice with your next overseas order.. get it from a place that can supply more than 36mg as some of the Chinese places claim they are not allowed to sell it more than 36mg.. which is just another way of saying they don't have access to that but are going to say it is illegal so they will keep you as a customer. Then once you have the unflavoured stuff.. get some quality flavourings from a well respected vendor of flavourings.
    To view my e-cig reviews and videos visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/light487

AVF Regular
    firstly, I know what you mean for many the throat hit when starting can be quite harsh, although I now think it is much less harsh than a smoke. Although been a while since I smoked now. I started on 18mg nic, which I found plenty, and was about the same level smoker as you. I kept some stronger stuff for when I needed it, but I didn't need it often - remember mg nic is different than the mg rating on cigs as I believe that is tar.

When starting draw it into your mouth, hold it a half a sec and then when you inhale take some air with it at the same time as it helps dilute it. Make sure to blow the primer out of your atomisers before you use them, as it tastes nasty. For carto's make sure you fill them adequately and dont burn them as they will then be harsh and wrecked for good.

It took me some weeks to get used to vaping nic, but my throat and lungs soon became used to it. Remember how you coughed an spluttered when you first started smoking. Most go through a similar experience at first. Drink plenty of water to clear the build up of juice on your throat, and even gargle with mouthwash and suck on cough lollies every so often if you find your throat is really aggrevated.

Some are sensitive to PG or VG or Nic or Flavours - so rotate through different mixes if you have longer term issues to see what it is.

Too early to tell now as to what the issue is but follow the above and most people seem to get used to it quite quickly.
    Last edited by Mickg33; 20-03-12 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickg33 View Post
    firstly, I know what you mean for mant the throat hit when starting can be quite harsh, although I now thing it is much less harsh than a smoke
    Speaking from experience, I can honestly say that the TH at even 12mg in an eCig is much more pronounced than the throat hit of a 12mg cigarette. When you light up a smoke after vaping for a year, you can barely even feel the smoke passing through your throat. One more reason why smoking isn't as satisfying The last time this happened it took until the end of the cigarette before I started to feel anything..
    To view my e-cig reviews and videos visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/light487

CCC
    Hi Nomulus welcome to AV and congratulatons on making the switch to vaping. Try not to worry about the mg level in your juice being more or less than your regular smokes, it can not be directly compared to the mg level of juice. It sounds like you found the right level for you 8mg. Everyone who quits smoking gets edgy, don't worry about that, your body will soon realise that it is still getting nicotine and will calm down after a few days, and i know a lot of people vape a lot more than they used to smoke in the beginning because of this panic mode, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just have plenty of water around for the first week or so because the most common side effect is a dry sore throat, eventually you will get used to it and wont have to drink so much. I haven't tried the nic liquid from e-cigs but i have seen people raving about it on here so i wouldn't worry that it is crap.
    MissMist likes this.

ignore the numbers, vape what feels right at the time, go with the 8 if you like it, in a few days you may prefer more or start having cravings.
    simply pick up a stronger nic than a durry, vape that till cravings gone, if you start vaping 6 ml or so in a day then you may want to up the nic.
    all cigarettes have between 1 and 2 mg of nic if tested, the higher number 16mg for eg, was tar.
    cigarettes have likely got chemicals to mask the nic burn or its different as its been nuked at a higher temperature.
    36 is insanely strong, very few people vape it. I can, but I will get a headache.
    there was a poll recently on what strength people vape, majority where 18 to 24.
    it takes a little time to get used too, new nic often kicks like a mule with lots of TH too.

soon, you will welcome it.

like one if us.. ( children of the corn style)
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I'm also new to Vapeing but the same goes here i have cut my cigs intake down a lot but at 11mg is about as high as i can go (i prefer 8mg) i have found that by vaping regularly more often than i would smoke it keeps the cravings to a minimum, the juice pg/vg ratio can effect the TH too more VG seems to make it smoother and lessens the TH a little

forgot to mention. like CCC says, there are other things in smokes that your brain will miss apart from nic, you could vape strong nic all day and will still have cravings for a real smoke and be concerned that it can't be done. you may get depressed a little, just bear with it and try and stick with the ecig 100%.
    they get less and less, gone mosly at around 3 weeks with twinges out to 3 months.
    get to there its easy.
    thats my opinion, others say a cig here and there dies no damage, my missus does that and goes back to full time smoking each time, I think the odd one here and there is the danger personally.
    Everyones method is there own however, there are a lot of smokers here though that did not have a cig after getting their first kit, me being one.
    well, have had a few ( 6 in 2 years) but I think the trick is to stop buying them.
    CCC, mink, craigus006 and 1 others like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Thank heaps for your replies and support guys. I am determined to stick with this, my wife is annoyed at how obsessed I have been with my research but I think I may soon owe my life to ECF, Igetcha69, grim green, Doctor Vapor(best vaping vids on youtube IMO) and especially you guys and gals here at Aussie Vapers.

I think im starting to get used to it and have made my current tank a little stronger. I'm also looking forward to heading up Kelly's Bar this Saturday for Vapefest, should be great to meet some other vapers and pick their brains in person.

Thanks heaps.
    whyieyesyah, CCC and MissMist like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast