Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: It was going great until....

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Unhappy It was going great until....

I started to experience weird chest sensations.

I had all my gear, my nic and about 15 different juices, many still untasted. I was doing well.
    from about 40 cigs a day, down to may be 2 or 3 in the mornings and the dame at night.
    I as feeling really proud of myself. I was actually doing it on my own. Slowly but surely, getting off the smokes.

For me, it's a case of I don't want to quit but I have to for my health. (and financially)
    I was enjoying vaping. I'd been doing it now for close to 4 weeks.

Then,this week, it started. I started feeling strange when I vaped.
    My lungs started to hurt and I could feel this strange sensation in my chest.
    All day, every time I vaped, the symptoms would occur.
    I started to worry that vaping was the cause so I light up - didn't feel anything when I smoked (although it did taste really bad lol.)

That's when it all went down hill - I had a full blown panic attack. It wasn't the vaping that caused it, it was my thoughts.

I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for over 30 years. I know what triggers them. Fear. Fear that something bad is going on in my lungs.

As recommended on many sites, my juices are all 50/50 and I'm on 8mg. I'm a MTL vaper and using the correct gear.
    I have the Aspire with Nautilus kit and eleaf pico with melo 3 kit but a mtl drip tip

I don't want to go back to smoking. But today I'm too scarred to vape for fear that the symptoms will appear again.
    I've been researching about the all the ingredients that go into the juice (might add that some stuff is a bit scary)

Vaping is not something that my GP would understand. He has most probably never heard of it so I can't talk to him.

So once again, I'm here, asking for advice. Hoping that some else has maybe experienced something similar.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Is the strange feeling a kind of tightness & mild pain when inhaling?

If so it is likely to be the VG causing it, I experience similar when using high VG juice for extended periods.
    The solution is in the solution

Reduce the VG content, try using a 70/30 PG/VG juice, this won't stop the pain/feeling right away but it will reduce over time, in a day or two the pain should be gone.
    Alternatively use snus or snuff(if you have some or access to some) for a day then go back to vaping with the higher PG juice, you should be fine then also.
    Cat and Smokin' like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    What Noe said. Also avoid direct lung vaping if it's causing you problems. Just something with a tight draw and high nicotine - you inhale it to the back of the throat and then blow it out your nose. This is very satisfying and avoids the lung thing completely.

There's absolutely no need to inhale this stuff deeply, the lungs aren't good at getting nicotine from vapour in any case - it works best in the throat and nasal passages.
    Smokin' likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    What they said.

Most of the gear I have gotten recently is for blowing clouds, but I've also managed to find a few very nice MTL bits, and some of them I barely inhale and don't blow out anything. They 'do it' for me, and that's enough.

As you're using MTL stuff, you might try taking in a mouthful of vapour, keeping it there and breathing out through your nose. It will make your nose 'wet', and maybe a little sniffly/runny (but not badly) and it'll give you the nic you're after and keeping it completely out of your lungs. At this point it's not even MTL, it's more like MTN (mouth to nose).

(The MTL liquid I'm using now hits my nose like a freight train. Other than "wow, that's working!" there's nothing else to mention. Actually makes my nose a little happier because there's all kinds of pollen and junk in the air here, and anything that wets it out helps. Also tends to give a definite 'rush/head spin' which is weird without an actual cigarette...)

I also tend to run MTL stuff with 70:30 PG/VG as Noe suggests. Seems to work better with that kind of gear and gives a stronger hit. I couldn't DL that kind of liquid, just like a DL type liquid has no 'go' when running MTL.

But if you need to step away from it for a time, that's what you do. And do talk to the doctor if it's a concern. While they may not know anything about vaping, if there's a genuine physiological reason for what you're feeling, they may be able to work out what's causing it and what to do about it.

Good luck, and I hope you can work out how to at least stay off the coffin nails.

Stu.
    fabricator4 and Smokin' like this.

AVF Regular
    I get stomach pains from 'some' VG bases, like a tighness and bloated upper stomach with lots and lots of burping. Don't know why its only some but the symptoms are bad enough I need to stop using that base. To add complete huckery to the situation I can order VG from one store that's fine then my next order will cause it (same store, yep). Just a total head game and sometimes I think what's the point, gambling on blind purchases with VG whether it will cause problems. To be honest, after a year vaping I'm realzing high varitations between nic and VG bases, even from the same store, the PG has always seemed consistant.
    Last edited by eLicky; 06-05-17 at 06:03 PM.
    Smokin' likes this.
    Limitless Lux / Buddha V3 30mm RDA
    iJoy Maxo / Mason 30mm RDA
    Pioneer4you IPV4S 120watt / Goon 24mm RDA

#rdalyf #clonelyf #buildinglyf #mixinglyf

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' View Post
    I started to experience weird chest sensations.

I had all my gear, my nic and about 15 different juices, many still untasted. I was doing well.
    from about 40 cigs a day, down to may be 2 or 3 in the mornings and the dame at night.
    I as feeling really proud of myself. I was actually doing it on my own. Slowly but surely, getting off the smokes.

For me, it's a case of I don't want to quit but I have to for my health. (and financially)
    I was enjoying vaping. I'd been doing it now for close to 4 weeks.

Then,this week, it started. I started feeling strange when I vaped.
    My lungs started to hurt and I could feel this strange sensation in my chest.
    All day, every time I vaped, the symptoms would occur.
    I started to worry that vaping was the cause so I light up - didn't feel anything when I smoked (although it did taste really bad lol.)

That's when it all went down hill - I had a full blown panic attack. It wasn't the vaping that caused it, it was my thoughts.

I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for over 30 years. I know what triggers them. Fear. Fear that something bad is going on in my lungs.

As recommended on many sites, my juices are all 50/50 and I'm on 8mg. I'm a MTL vaper and using the correct gear.
    I have the Aspire with Nautilus kit and eleaf pico with melo 3 kit but a mtl drip tip

I don't want to go back to smoking. But today I'm too scarred to vape for fear that the symptoms will appear again.
    I've been researching about the all the ingredients that go into the juice (might add that some stuff is a bit scary)

Vaping is not something that my GP would understand. He has most probably never heard of it so I can't talk to him.

So once again, I'm here, asking for advice. Hoping that some else has maybe experienced something similar.

Here's where you're going to have to get your head around it Smokin', because I know exactly how you feel. Yes, I have an anxiety disorder as well. Just remember that the ingredients in vaping are multiple times less harmful than smokes, and I bet that didn't stop you smoking. Maybe find a doctor that is sympathetic towards vaping (mine is).

Maybe you are indeed intolerant of one of the ingredients (maybe PG) but I'll tend towards your mind taking you for a ride as mine often does. If you're frightened of a lot of the things you read as you already know it's easy to invoke a panic attack. I hope you can resolve it because is thousands of times better than smoking. Please keep us informed and good luck.
    Crisscross, 1ynne, Schtoo and 1 others like this.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    Thank you everyone for the support and suggestions.

My PG/Vg is 50/50
    My nic. is in 100% VG.
    All my juices were doublers in 50/50.

Because I read the above was recommended for beginners.
    So now, I can't afford to throw it all out and start again so I will have to try mouth-nose vaping and see how I go.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' View Post
    So now, I can't afford to throw it all out and start again so I will have to try mouth-nose vaping and see how I go.
    I've been tooting mouth/nose most of the afternoon, sympathetically mostly, and to see if I could still manage it.

Nose isn't as 'tight' as it's been for the past few weeks, and the head rush no longer comes. Very much like a cigarette with the liquid I'm using. I think higher VG than I'm using will likely be 'wetter' but milder, because this stuff is making my throat more than a little scratchy when I forget to 'nose' it out...

And a few sneezes to go along with it. Especially if I overdo it.

Damned if it doesn't smell like a nice pipe tobacco. It's supposed to, and it's only been steeping overnight, but wow. Not so much 'taste' but the scent, nice.

(I rarely 'nosed' out smoke when I was smoking, so this is somewhat new to me. I actually kind of like it. Weird... )

Stu.
    Smokin' likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    I've been tooting mouth/nose most of the afternoon, sympathetically mostly, and to see if I could still manage it.

Nose isn't as 'tight' as it's been for the past few weeks, and the head rush no longer comes. Very much like a cigarette with the liquid I'm using. I think higher VG than I'm using will likely be 'wetter' but milder, because this stuff is making my throat more than a little scratchy when I forget to 'nose' it out...

And a few sneezes to go along with it. Especially if I overdo it.

Damned if it doesn't smell like a nice pipe tobacco. It's supposed to, and it's only been steeping overnight, but wow. Not so much 'taste' but the scent, nice.

(I rarely 'nosed' out smoke when I was smoking, so this is somewhat new to me. I actually kind of like it. Weird... )

Stu.
    Welcome to the nose exhale club Schtoo :-)

The lack of nicotine rush is only because you've been hitting constantly and you are maintaining your correct nicotine level (self titration). Put it down for twenty or thirty minutes and that will be back. It actually makes you vape less, not more. ;-)
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Try mixing some unflavoured, say 10ml @ 20PG /80VG and another 10ml @ 80PG/20VG and see which is less irritant. That is the cheapest way out though I'd say if you resort to the durries it will cost a hell of a lot more.

I see no problem with 50/50, I've been using that ratio for years. Maybe you nic level is too high for you. Everyone is different in the tolerance stakes.
    Smokin' likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast